Time To Upgrade The Alternator?

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
I'm thinking it's time to upgrade my tired alternator. But I am a not 100% sure I need to. I am still using the stock Fox type alternator which I have read is underpowered.

The problem is, when ever I turn on my headlights, the Volts (on the gauge) drop way down. I even hear the fuel pump get weaker. The battery is new and in its original location. But it is a pc680 battery. I never have a problem cranking though. I would like to put an electric fan, I'm just not sure the car can handle the load.

Could it be I need an alternator with more amps, or is my battery just not good enough to hold multiple loads?

• Sponsors (?)

Definitely upgrade to a 3G from a 94-95 Mustang. Even if you don't need the extra power, it's worth the money for the more reliable design and that not catching on fire thing. You will need to grind out the bracket on the bottom a little for it to fit. Not a hard job. The wiring kit is on ebay, and it's cheap.

Kurt

Run your car to Pep Boys, advance Auto, or Napa for a battery load test that will check the whole charging system too. For free, you will know if you have a good battery or any other problem to address when you upgrade the alternator.

remember that ford only put a 60amp alternator in these cars stock, so when you start adding stereo amps, electric fans, etc, you need to upgrade the alternator.

I put a 95 amp alt in my fox. Worked well no modifying necessary.
Pull 95 amps though wire designed for 65 and you are a candidate for smoke and fire.

EVERY high current alternator needs to run a minimum of a 4 gauge power wire with a fuse closely matched to the alternator's output.

wire-gauge-current-capacity-and-lenght-chart-gif.53745

X2 on the upgrade. Should be at the top of the list fur Fox mods abd the eBay wiring kit makes it Soooo easy.

What should I search on eBay for the wiring kit? It's easy enough to do on my own, but the time saved is well worth it to buy something like this to me.

I would recommend for an alternator you either get one at a JY from any
94-96 mustang v-6
94-95 mustang 5.0
94-96 t-bird 3.8 non sc
95-96 windstar 3.0
93-96 e series vans f series truck w 4.9 i-6
96 sable 3.0
94-96 cougar 3.8 v6

Or buy a new one from autozone using the 30% off coupone TRT30

For the wiring kit there is a guy on Corral that sells them and on Ebay. I've used it on 2 swaps and recommend, it.

I searched it on Corral and found him.

I'll buy the kit because I like to support small US business. And it's a fair deal for what it is.

Thanks guys.

I bought my wiring kit from the guy on corral but I can't remember his name to save my life but it basicallylooks like this. You could piece it together cheaper but honestly everything is already crimped/ soldered together abd is worth the coin. Looks like this.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/231006216158?nav=SEARCH
I bought a couple of overdrive alternator pulleys from that guy. No issues what so ever.

130A or 110A is all a modern car really needs. Do don't run out and buy a 200A alt unless you are powering a small club inside your car.

Most passenger cars these days run about 130A. My Infiniti has a 120A alt and powers the Navi, HID's 10-speaker stereo, heated seats, etc etc perfectly fine with dimming of the lights. Surely a fox mustang with basically no electronics can run off less than that.

Anyway, the fox mustang electrical system isn't exactly the best. Simply slapping a new alt in doesn't always cure the problem. Proper battery size, as well as ensuring good tight connections go a long way. Also, the engine ground, if anyone has noticed it, isn't exactly the best.