TKO install problems

O.K. sorry for some reason I thought that you did the swapp.So when you cut up the bracket did you have to remove the exhaust hanger?I've read that a lot of people go without the hanger for the midpipe.I was gonna go that route but just dont feel safe with out the x-pipe secured.

• Sponsors (?)

Only thing I got done last night was the exhaust. :( Oh well, I'll finish it up tonight. :)

Here's a couple pics

tko%20001.jpg

tko%20002.jpg

tko%20004.jpg

tko%20006.jpg

Attachments

• tko%20001.jpg
    tko%20001.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 47
  • tko%20002.jpg
    tko%20002.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 44
  • tko%20004.jpg
    tko%20004.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 51
  • tko%20006.jpg
    tko%20006.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 46
Great pics! :nice:

Now this will be interesting...u have the "real" spacer that our car normally has(bracket) but u're using a urethene mount. Those mounts are not the same height as a stock mount IIRC from a corral thread. Im pretty sure they are a hair shorter. So i guess we'll see how yours goes.

Does anyone know of any bad effects from cutting those GM tabs off the tremec? They are used in the older f-body cars as a mount mount, but they are useless in our cars. Would it void the warranty(lol is there even one?) or make the case weaker in any way do u think?

did you have vibrations before the urethan mount? I am curious, as i don't have a tremec yet, but have been tracing down a vibration for two months, i thought that it would go away once the gears were installed .... WRONG. Have had the stock DS balanced with new spicer u-joints etc, tried all kinds of stuff, not trying to intrude in your thread, but the only two thing i know i need to check are the crossmenber to make sure it is not 180* out changing the angle, or the mounts etc.

jason

I can't remember, but I don't think I had any vibrations before the mount. I remember I kept getting vibrations from the tires being out of balance, but that's the only vibrations I ever remember having with this car...

Got everything back together last night, but the toe-in is so bad that it felt like the e-brake was on when I tried to drive it. I'll try to fix that tomorrow and post up my test drive results sometime this weekend.

One good thing is I don't have any oil leaks so far!

Well, looks like I have the infamous 85mph vibration! :bang: So what should I try first? Rotate the ds spacer? Flip the x-member? I noticed the shifter is farther to the right than it used to be, and I think flipping the x-member moves it back towards center.

Low-5.0 said:
Well, looks like I have the infamous 85mph vibration! :bang: So what should I try first? Rotate the ds spacer? Flip the x-member? I noticed the shifter is farther to the right than it used to be, and I think flipping the x-member moves it back towards center.

DAMMIT! Sorry to hear that man.

But on to your problem...the shifter will be where its at. If the crossmember did move it towards center, i would think it would be pulling it. Basically, there should not be any side to side forces on the tranny. It should flow in a straight line from motor to rear end. I think forcing it left or right would make things worse and potentially hurt the tranny.

Try rotating the ds...thats the easiest thing. U indexed the bell so we know its not that. I would compare that poly mount to a stock mount, figure out the exact differences in ht. and try to make it the same. Basically, you want everything u can control to be the same as stock. Then if it still does the same thing, we know itsmore involved.

1.) Driveshaft
2.) Just to double check, take out the drive shaft spacer if rotating it doesnt work. See if thats the problem...then if it is...that might meen a custom driveshaft is on order.:bang:
3.)Tranny mount height

I think I'll just try removing the ds spacer first to see if that helps. Then I'll try adding a spacer to the trans mount...I really think that'll be the problem because I can tell the engine is angled down more than it was before. That, combined with the 1/2" drop from the k member, has my headers dangerously low now.

Low-5.0 said:
I think I'll just try removing the ds spacer first to see if that helps. Then I'll try adding a spacer to the trans mount...I really think that'll be the problem because I can tell the engine is angled down more than it was before. That, combined with the 1/2" drop from the k member, has my headers dangerously low now.

Yea try that. I forgot about your k-member....that adds a twist to it. I wonder now if the tranny mount has to be 1/2" lower now. Maybe other guys can chime in with aftermarket k-members. I've never heard of that...but it makes sense. But it also makes me think that too much is placed on the height of everything.

anyway, let us know how it goes:nice:

Ok, I lied. I tried adding the spacer to the trans mount first. The ds does look straighter now, but I can't tell if it helped or not. It was dark out so I only took the car up to around 70. I think the vib is still there, but I don't know for sure. I'll work on it tomorrow.

Here's a couple pics.
Before the spacer
100_1475.JPG

After the spacer
100_1476.JPG

Here you can see how the trans looks like it's too far to the right...
100_1477.JPG

But here it like the ds is straight...
100_1473.JPG

Attachments

• 100_1475.JPG
    100_1475.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_1476.JPG
    100_1476.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_1477.JPG
    100_1477.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1473.JPG
    100_1473.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 46
nevermind on the neutral safety switch.....

Electronic connectors

There are three electronic connectors on the TKO transmission 1) neutral safety switch, 2) back-up light sensor, and 3) speedometer pick-up. The neutral safety switch can be used to prevent the car from being started while in gear. The pigtail located on the rear of the transmission is an open circuit until the transmission is placed in neutral. The pigtail uses a standard Ford connector. The back-up light sensor is on the driver side of the transmission case and is an open circuit until the transmission is shifted into reverse. The electronic speedometer pick-up is located on the rear extension passenger side.

that rear electrical connector isn't used on our cars (at least I didn't have a connector for it when replacing my T-5). I removed it and pluged it with a brass pipe plug.

My tko-600 sits centered. I also have new motor mounts and tranny mount. The tranny mount you're using in that pic is not as tall as the stock mount (3/16" shorter) so you should use the spacer you put in there. I'm not using the stock plate (black one) so I've got a 3/8" spacer between the tranny and the top of the mount.

Also, which way do you have your crossmember?? Stock has the 2 small holes that are on the bottom closer to the passenger side of the car

Starman, is your shifter centered in the opening? I can't remember exactly where mine was stock, but I'm pretty sure it was closer to center than this one... I still have my crossmember in the stock location.