TKO install problems

My curiosity got the better of me so I tried flipping the crossmember. Definitely a waste of time as the vibration got much worse after that. I put it back the way it was and took the ds spacer off...Which didn't seem to help. So now there's only two things left I can think to try...Get some adjustable UCA's to correct the pinion angle...Or I didn't index the bellhousing properly. :shrug:

One more thing, it seems to do it mostly in 3rd around 85mph, which is around 5K+ RPM's. I shift into 4th as soon as it starts to shake and let up, and it seems to smooth out after that.

• Sponsors (?)

THANKS to all the info, i have found in this thread, and the links provided in this thread, i took my crossmember out, it was installed backwards... never thought of the thing actually having a pitch to it? Well i have it installed the right way now, but I have the line lock started and can't drive the car yet. Do you guys think that will get rid of my vibrations?

thanks,

jason

mytight95 said:
well i guess we will see. but he had all his right the first time, and i don't have a TKO....... so not to be a smartass but its a different situation

jason

You post in a TKO thread so who wouldnt assume that u had a tko too?:rolleyes: :nice:

Anyway, hey low, did u swap the yoke on the driveshaft to the 31 spline piece? I've heard "rumor" that it can throw off the balance...now i know everyone doesnt get the driveshaft rebalanced, but, i think its $50 so might be something to try.:shrug:

mytight95 said:
did you have vibrations before the urethan mount? I am curious, as i don't have a tremec yet, but have been tracing down a vibration for two months, i thought that it would go away once the gears were installed .... WRONG. Have had the stock DS balanced with new spicer u-joints etc, tried all kinds of stuff, not trying to intrude in your thread, but the only two thing i know i need to check are the crossmenber to make sure it is not 180* out changing the angle, or the mounts etc.

jason

:nice: I didnt keep track of who had what. Like i said, i ASSUMED and made an a$$ out of myself:rlaugh: :D :lol:

Funny thing is after i posted i was like "eh....i think i should have read the first page over to see:p "

Go out and turn it around, only one way to say if it will help:shrug:

nah man its cool..... shoulda just kept my mouth shut...lol

Low5.0... I just though about something, have you tried to readjust the motor mounts, is the engine sitting level, a buds car had this issue one side mount was too high causing it to have a lean and rotating the trans more to one side of the car.

just a thought, i am running out of ideas for you.

jason

I didn't try to readjust the motor mounts, but I did try to make sure it was level when I installed them.

I put the ds spacer back in and turned it 90*, and I think that made it worse. I guess the only left I havn't tried is taking the ds spacer off AND the 2nd trans mount spacer.

Nate, I did install the new yoke(don't you have to?), but didn't Paul(Killer) have a problem with his ds after balancing it?

One more crazy idea I thought of...Since I have no idea if I indexed the bellhousing right, what if I marked the location of my offset dowels, popped them out, and reinstalled the stockers? Just to see if that makes it better or worse.

One thing I do remember when indexing the bell, the center hole in the backing plate for the crank was waaay off center after the new dowel pins. I can't remember where it was at with the stock ones, but I think it was closer to center...

I really, really don't want to have to take everything apart to re-index the bellhousing. But, I need to have the car ready for the dyno on Sunday...Stupid PITA car!

Why dont u try taking out the poly mount and putting a stocker in there with the exhaust bracket and thats it? I remember Mike(grn92lx) told me that he has heard of guys have vib issues with poly tranny mounts. Matter of fact, u could just order the 96 cobra one, since i THINK thats the one that is offset. U can just compare it to yours.

I dont know man, have u gone through those corral threads and write down each possibility? At this point, its gonna become a buy and "try" issue. I know around here getting a driveshaft balanced is about $50 i think, so u could take yours with the spacer and get it done. Be sure to mark them both so u dont lose orientation. And i know others havent had to do that but then again, if u're doing everything that everyone else has done, and u still have vibes than u're gonna have to try something different. Thats the thing with these swaps, i just dont get why a company who designs it or installs it can not give a straigh forward step by step install description. :bang:

I've also heard of guys having vib problems with the poly mount, but I never had a bit of vibrations with the stock transmission. Switching back to a stock mount might fix, or at least help, the vibration, but the way I see it you're just covering it up and not actually fixing the problem...

Anywho, Im about to lose my mind from working on this thing. Last night, after I turned the ds spacer 90* and took it on the interstate, I know for sure it was shaking so bad the car felt like it might come apart. BUT, I don't know my exact speed I took it up to...I'm thinking 90mph, but it could have been a little higher...

Well tonight I took the ds spacer back off, and I also removed my trans mount spacer and took it for a spin. It was making a little more noise than usual and grinded going into reverse, but the vib was not nearly as bad. I only took it up to 85-87, so Im not sure if it'll get worse at higher speeds, like I might have hit on the interstate. Put the trans mount spacer back on, ds spacer still off, and it quieted down and seemed to shift better. This could have been all in my head, but it seemed to vibrate a little less too.

Im gonna check on getting the ds balanced tomorrow or friday. The way it is right now, if it doesn't get any worse over 90mph, I'd say it's good enough to run on the dyno.

Getting the DS and spacer balanced tomorrow. :)

Question, since I don't hear any noise coming from the transmission, does that mean my bellhousing is indexed correctly? Or at least close? I've heard it whine once or twice so far, but overall I'd say this TKO is actually quieter than my T-5. About the only time I've heard it is in 5th gear at lower speeds, like 45mph or so.

Also, will it hurt to run it on the dyno with only about 70-100 miles on it? I was gonna stop by the track too, but I don't think I should yet.

Low-5.0 said:
Getting the DS and spacer balanced tomorrow. :)

Question, since I don't hear any noise coming from the transmission, does that mean my bellhousing is indexed correctly? Or at least close? I've heard it whine once or twice so far, but overall I'd say this TKO is actually quieter than my T-5. About the only time I've heard it is in 5th gear at lower speeds, like 45mph or so.

Also, will it hurt to run it on the dyno with only about 70-100 miles on it? I was gonna stop by the track too, but I don't think I should yet.

Sounds good man. Ask the place this....in that corral thread when i mentioned getting it balanced some guy actually said mustangs have a imbalance in them...i dont know i've never researched it. But the balancing place should know. Besides if its worse, then u can take it back and tell them.

Im sure no noise is a good thing, but i would think if the index was off that much to make it whine, it would be causing a lot of problems. But i dont think whining=hurting it. My tko was just as quiet as the T-5 too:banana:

There is nothing to break in on the tranny....so yea, i would think it would bejust fine. I mean, on a dyno u aren't banging the gears so it shouldnt be taking much stress. I think the main thing is to wait to make sure everything is good to go before u start abusing it.

is the clutch broken in yet??

I didn't get onto mine untill after about 400-500 miles of normal driving and changed the tranny fluid. I put the clutch and tranny in new

It's a new clutch so it's not broken in yet. I don't think the dyno will be a problem, but I think I should avoid the track...The instructions with the trans say to avoid "drag starts" and high rpm shifts for the first 500 miles. I've got right around 80-90 miles on it right now, and with lots of rain in the forcast for Fri and Sat, I don't think I'll have 500 by Sunday.

Nate, I don't see why a driveshaft would have an imbalence...It could be turned any way on re-installation which would throw off the balance, right? :shrug:
The guy did say the you need at least a 2* angle on the ds for the u joints to work properly. He said it would cause a vibration if the ds was perfectly straight...