Took It To The Track

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
I took my old mustang to the the dragway today. I was expecting a better time than what I ran with my somewhat souped up 351w roller block. After 6 runs the best time I could come up with was a 15.218 1/4 mile at 93.51MPH.

My first let me know that wheel hop was going to a major factor so from then on I really tried to work on making smoother starts. The final two runs I also bumped up my timing a bit. My stang responded with higher speeds at the 1/4 mile mark.

The last run I had a really good take off and it felt like it was going to be the best run of the day, but when I shifted to third my stang just started smoking the rear tires, so I had to lift.

My friend's got an 05 mustang and his best time was a 14.02. Impressive.

As of today I have 556 miles on my new engine. It is still pretty much running on the basic tune I first fired it up on. I haven't optimized it yet because I'm going to switch the carb out for a Mega Squirt set up like BottleFed did as soon as I can get money for the rest of the parts. But after today I'm thinking I should just spend a little quality time with my stang this weekend optimizing the carb and timing.

• Sponsors (?)

did you go to the mustang club show and shine yesterday? i went for a little while but couldn't take the stang, we got about 6 blocks from the house and it wasn't shifting gears, so went home and got the town car and hung out for an hour or so. been trying to get the car ready for the big Blue Ribbon Rally car show next weekend. even if i have to drive up there next weekend in 2nd gear i'm going. :D

would like to have the tranny problem fixed by then but don't know if it willl happen or not. i think the governor in the tranny is toast, so i need to find out what that's going to cost to get fixed.:notnice:

Shoot I wish I had my slips with me. I can tell you though my best 60 foot time was a 2.40. Yeah I modulated the clutch and power to get a better launch. I think that my car spun so hard in third on that last run because someone had blown up their stuff in my lane a couple passes before me. Either that or I just shifted to hard. :)

As far as the rest of my setup you can see it here on my crappy website.
http://www.lumacrest.com/jimmyray/Mustang stuff.htm

What all's in your build besides the roller 351? Has your friend with the 05 removed the restrictor from the air intake hose ? My 06 GT Stang runs 13's with really bad wheel hop in 1st & 2nd.

He's done a few things too the car. I'm thinking he replaced that air intake hose with something else. I know he got a larger throttle body from somewhere. His car showed 281HP and 281LBFT on the chassis dyno.

did you go to the mustang club show and shine yesterday? i went for a little while but couldn't take the stang, we got about 6 blocks from the house and it wasn't shifting gears, so went home and got the town car and hung out for an hour or so. been trying to get the car ready for the big Blue Ribbon Rally car show next weekend. even if i have to drive up there next weekend in 2nd gear i'm going. :D

would like to have the tranny problem fixed by then but don't know if it willl happen or not. i think the governor in the tranny is toast, so i need to find out what that's going to cost to get fixed.:notnice:

Dang I totally forgot about that car show. Course going to the drag strip was my car outing for the weekend, maybe for the month. Gas is like 3.31/gallon. Crazy!!

I was thinkin now that my stang is running again we should meet up at sonic or something one night. Do they still go out there on thursdays?

Hope you get your tranny problem sorted. Is it an auto?

2.4 is ridiculously slow for a 60ft. if you get that better, you can improve your times dramatically. to put in perspective, a stock fox body does about 14.8 in the quarter mile. With your car that is lighter, with a bigger motor producing more power, that et could be a second lower and maybe another 6-7 mph. post your slip and we will see what might benefit from tuning.

2.4 is ridiculously slow for a 60ft.

Slow enough you could use one of these to time it.

sundial2_small.jpg

the 60ft is indeed pretty bad.

I have cut a 2.08 60ft on 235/60/15 radial t/as so its probably 90% of you getting the hang of launching and 10% getting some the rear suspension worked out.

also, that power curve is weird. Peak power at? 4800?

It is weird, but it's probably due to the timing not being optimized for that roller cam. Plus I'm going to bet I could use a larger jet in my secondaries.

We only got to do two pulls on the dyno. I wanted to do some tunning and then do another pull, but that would have required another 40 dollars I didn't have at the time.

Damn, clutch slipping. :nonono:

Hey, about the wheel hop.

I don't remember having a problem with that before when I had my old engine which produced way more power than the new one. I wonder if it is due to my changing my rear leaf springs to 4.5 leaf. What should I change about my rear to eliminate the hop.

Edit: I just remembered that I changed my pinion angle with shims to get rid of bad vibrations I was having. I wonder if that's having a negative affect on my launches.

Keep in mind I have just an 8" rear without posi.

do you have lowering blocks? Can anyone else see the wheelhop? stock tires and a pegleg shouldn't provide enough bite to cause wheelhop. if so, a $30 set of traction bars can help eliminate it. next time you launch, have an observer watch for spring wrap and hop in the wheel.

You may want to invest in a wideband O2 sensor.

It's something you can use now to help tune the carb, and if you decide to go with megasquirt you can conect it to the ECU as well.

You can pick up an LC1 wideband and DIY display for approx $200.

2.4 is ridiculously slow for a 60ft. if you get that better, you can improve your times dramatically. to put in perspective, a stock fox body does about 14.8 in the quarter mile. With your car that is lighter, with a bigger motor producing more power, that et could be a second lower and maybe another 6-7 mph. post your slip and we will see what might benefit from tuning.

Just going by jikelly's avitar, but I think his car outweighs a Fox Stang by at least 500 lbs.:rlaugh:

He's done a few things too the car. I'm thinking he replaced that air intake hose with something else. I know he got a larger throttle body from somewhere. His car showed 281HP and 281LBFT on the chassis dyno.
My 06 is bone stock, with the exception of a drop in K&N element in the factory air box. Reason I asked about the restrictior was a guy who I bought my last C-4 from had an 05 and he showed me the restrictor that was in his intake hose. He asked me if I had removed mine. Mine never had one.:nice: Seems some bean counter at Ford made a wise decision (for a change) in eliminating these from the production line.:rlaugh: