Top End Upgrade??

• Sponsors (?)

What is meant by remote tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tune in which you log the data of your car through a wideband 02 sensor and then that file gets sent to a tuner somewhere behind a computer and they adjust the tune send it back and you load it in the car

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

The place that dyno tunes locally to me cannot burn chips or change my ECU so I still would have had to purchase tuning software and then still have to pay them to tune it ($500-$800). No thank you, i'll learn it myself and keep the cash for other mods especially since the Pimp comes with self tuning software to get you about 80% there then you just fine tune it.
No kidding? What kind of tuner shop is that? They have a dyno but they can't write a tune onto an sct chip!? Sounds worthless. @billbosc This is my experience w having someone dyno tune, I've had three thus far and they were spaced years apart: The appointment book is always filled so the wait list is kinda long. The first tune was kinda expensive, it was years ago but if I remeber right it was close to $700. That $700 included the sct chip, paying for a guy to d!ck around on a laptop, and paying an hourly rate for being on the dyno. The other two times ran about $200ish. I already had the chip and they didn't make me pay for the dude playing w the laptop, they just charge an hourly rate for being on the dyno. So yeah I have about $1,100 "invested" in tuning but the first one was in like '09 and the last one was like 6 months ago and I don't expect the need for another tune anytime soon due to a parts swap. Buying all the stuff needed to self tune is cool if you're into "gadgets" and it gives you something to monitor and tinker with and you might save a little money in the long run. But if you don't think you'll be changing out parts that require a tune that often I don't see the necessity in it. Having someone "remote" tune is ok if it's the only option, say you live in Antarctica and there are no tuners to be found. @addermk2 What if say after a cam swap the car won't even idle, how's one supposed to data log? (the reason for my 1st tune, had to have er towed in to the tuner.) The one benefit of having a shop tune the car is at least you know how much power you made at the end of the day. You can't tell me you don't/won't have that itch to know how much power you've made after spending the $ and putting forth the effort installing parts. How are you gonna brag to you're buddies and to the folks on good ole Stangnet w out a dyno graph? If the graph reads well it's kinda like that ahh feeling one might get after the 1st swallow of a cold one after a hard days work. To sum it up, and this is just my humble opinion, what I would do is call the dyno shop that's 5 hrs away and ask em about their rates. See if they do "free" lifetime tunes after the 1st (paying for dyno time only). If you think your car can make the 5 hr trip and you don't think you'll be switching maf's and injectors every 6 months then it might be worth the 5 hr drive. At least you'll get a piece of paper that says that you're a success or a failure. To me the self tuning stuff is more of a novelty than a necessity.

Last edited:
I actually just found another one that is only about 4 hours away. And its a straight shot down the 101. Not a lot of hills and dead spots for if i was to not make it I would have cell service lol. I am going to make an appointment tomorrow for as soon as possible. Then after I get the Trick flow top end kit, Ill get it down there again.

I actually just found another one that is only about 4 hours away. And its a straight shot down the 101. Not a lot of hills and dead spots for if i was to not make it I would have cell service lol. I am going to make an appointment tomorrow for as soon as possible. Then after I get the Trick flow top end kit, Ill get it down there again.
Do they do the "free" tunes after the 1st?

a9aa067f56c8bd68b9f9392d2f1c7cef.jpg

Horsepower is just a number. And on any given day it can be different.

As for a car not even idling after installing parts. It's happened twice! The first time, the customer told me they had a different MAF than they really did. The second time, the car had a bad TPS.

Two very easy fixes.

I suppose it may be hard to believe, but remote tuning is actually better than dyno tuning. When was the last time you drove on a dyno to get to work?

Last edited:
a9aa067f56c8bd68b9f9392d2f1c7cef.jpg

Horsepower is just a number. And on any given day it can be different.

As for a car not even idling after installing parts. It's happened twice! The first time, the customer told me they had a different MAF than they really did. The second time, the car had a bad TPS.

Two very easy fixes.
Lucky for you.
I suppose it may be hard to believe, but remote tuning is actually better than dyno tuning. When was the last time you drove on a dyno to get to work?
Ha yeah I hear ya. But who's driving a car to work that's so radical that it needs fine tuning on a daily basis just to make it there? I suppose this statement is directed more to the self tuners than remote. I see the advantage of seeing what an engine is doing in real time under all throttle positions but the Joe Schmo street/strip, nice day cruiser, and maybe the track twice a year shoud/would be ok without having to tune to the nth degree. To the guys that've been around awhile: How'd yall survive before all the newfangled gadgets came around that let you monitor everything? After a topend swap were y'all's motors blowing up like crazy on the way to 7-11 due to the fact that you only got a wot dyno tune? I guess we could go back even a few more years to the pre dyno era.
The wideband's and realtime engine stats monitoring and being able to tweak this and that is cool. But for the non serious racer it's just gadgetry in my opinion. Kinda like the "low tire pressure monitoring system," nice to have I guess but one can live w out it.

Lucky for you.

Ha yeah I hear ya. But who's driving a car to work that's so radical that it needs fine tuning on a daily basis just to make it there? I suppose this statement is directed more to the self tuners than remote. I see the advantage of seeing what an engine is doing in real time under all throttle positions but the Joe Schmo street/strip, nice day cruiser, and maybe the track twice a year shoud/would be ok without having to tune to the nth degree. To the guys that've been around awhile: How'd yall survive before all the newfangled gadgets came around that let you monitor everything? After a topend swap were y'all's motors blowing up like crazy on the way to 7-11 due to the fact that you only got a wot dyno tune? I guess we could go back even a few more years to the pre dyno era.
The wideband's and realtime engine stats monitoring and being able to tweak this and that is cool. But for the non serious racer it's just gadgetry in my opinion. Kinda like the "low tire pressure monitoring system," nice to have I guess but one can live w out it.
Dyno tuning cost you what... $1100?

Imagine if you had known of me before. You'd have spent $195

Dyno tuning cost you what... $1100?

Imagine if you had known of me before. You'd have spent $195
For three different tuning sessions? I imagine is still have to come up w the deposit $ each time but do you tune for free after the 1st time? Also I'd like to mention again that that $1,100 was spaced out over 6 yrs. You gonna be around 6 years?

Last edited:
For three different tuning sessions? I imagine is still have to come up w the deposit $ each time but do you tune for free after the 1st time? Also I'd like to mention again that that $1,100 was spaced out over 6 yrs. You gonna be around 6 years?
Been doing this since 2009 (on fords)... so you tell me