Trick Flow heads--Rocker arms hitting the valve covers???

SleepyGreen97

May 24, 2011
Has anyone run into this problem?

Installed Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 04-M44 Heads with 125lbs springs @ 1.600in and 262AH Comp cams. The Issue is rockers sound and feel like they are hitting the stock valve covers 97 GT. Called Trick flow they said that the stock covers should work no problem with this set up. Has anyone run into this issue with the stock valve covers? Trick flow has replacement valve covers but they say same height as stock, so not sure that will make any difference. Any suggestions or info would be very helpful!

Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

Modulars have cam followers, not rocker arms. The cam followers sit underneath the camshaft, so there is no way of them hitting the valve covers.

Are you sure you are not having piston to valve clearance issues? Who did the install?

Has anyone run into this problem?

Installed Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 04-M44 Heads with 125lbs springs @ 1.600in and 262AH Comp cams. The Issue is rockers sound and feel like they are hitting the stock valve covers 97 GT. Called Trick flow they said that the stock covers should work no problem with this set up. Has anyone run into this issue with the stock valve covers? Trick flow has replacement valve covers but they say same height as stock, so not sure that will make any difference. Any suggestions or info would be very helpful!

Thanks for the help!

As stated above the followers are below the cam and it is impossible for them to hit the valve covers. Piston to valve should not be an issue with the stock pistons. Have you changed the pistons? Did you replace the lash adjusters when you did the install?

Thanks for the responses; it is not P2V issue- the trick flow heads have miles of clearance for the 262s. After additional research it looks like the lash valve adjusters are a little different on the 99-04 GTs and as a result the valve covers are just a little bigger than the 96-98 model years. Found may guys with the 99-04 had no problem using the stock covers, unlike the 96-98 covers. Also the springs are installed higher on the trick flow heads and looks like this combination is causing the contact on the sides (not the top) of valve covers. Contacted BBK and they engineered their replacement valve covers to be wider to provide additional clearance for different applications. We will see if the theory is correct going to change the valve covers.

The topology is still the same: The cams sit higher than both the rocker arms and the valves. I don't believe the noise you're hearing it any part of the valvetrain striking the cover.

I'd recommend removing the cover and running the engine to see if the noise persists before buying new covers. With the cover off you may get a better idea of the source of the noise...

You gotta pull the covers to switch then anyway, can you pull a side and check for us? Maybe a pic if it is the case? I am considering the TFS heads and would like to know if I will need covers too on my '98.

Observe:
m5lp_1002_01_+trick_flow_twisted_wedge+trick_flow_aluminum_heads.jpg

Noise cannot be rockers striking the covers...

Attachments

• m5lp_1002_01_+trick_flow_twisted_wedge+trick_flow_aluminum_heads.jpg
    m5lp_1002_01_+trick_flow_twisted_wedge+trick_flow_aluminum_heads.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 281
I was sitting there staring at a 2v head I have at the shop with stock 02 covers and just couldnt fathom how in the hell they would hit. What does a 2v 96-98 head cover look like?

Lugnuts when your ready for the TFS heads let me know, Ill save you some money ;)

trinity, those are some mighty fine looking caps on that cam! Where did you get those?
I cannot imagine how they would contact either. Sleepygreen, pull the covers and you should be able to see what we are talking about if you cannot get it from trinity's hot head pic - what head is that anyway? Looks sweet.

Sorry, don’t have a picture, I have a guy doing the work for me and he took them off and ground down the baffles and the noise is gone. So in the end was an easy fix and rockers were not hitting by much. Thanks for the help and input on this issue.

Gents:

There is a PCV baffle on the inside of the cam cover (both covers). It extends a fair amount (guestimating about 1/2" or 3/4") from the wall of the cover. It is not surprising then that there is minor contact since the valves and adjusters are swapped on the TF heads. The fix is pretty easy, according to the OP's latest post.

Chris