Using Old Tires

• Sponsors (?)

The rubber does deteriorate over time. Im not sure of the rate but I think it only affects the grip and not the integrety. Put them on and burn them up:D Its only probably 60 bucks to get them mounted and ballanced. If you dont like them tthey will last until you can get some new ones.

Rubber deteriorates as soon at it's made. They could be sitting in a dark warehouse not mounted on rims and they will break down. It has to do with the oxygen in the air eating the rubber. Filling your tires with nitrogen can help stop, but as a rule, if your tires are 6 years old or older, you should junk them.

I have a set of tires i bought fresh at 5 years old. I thought to myself they would be fine since they were new right? Well by 6 years old they were dry rotted and dangerous and i had to ditch them.

Check the DOT date code on the tire. Ignore when you bought them, because sometimes the tires sit in a warehouse for years before being sold. Tirerack's closeout deals are usually old tires sitting around for 1-2 years.

what is the DOT number on them?
BFG dry rots very quickly
Manufactured....42nd week of 2002
I would check for dry rot before putting them on. Old tires can lose their integrity as the tread may separate from the rest of the tire...
Cracks/dry rot in the tread is present. Tires are getting trashed
sooo.... you gonna smoke them??
nice video!
No smokin for me. My Stang shifted it's status. It's being used for joy rides/ some shows/ go get ice cream. It's also for sale. Time to move on.

Attachments

• IMG_1349.jpg
    IMG_1349.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 71