uv dye for gas leak detection?

siege

Feb 23, 2003
Peoria, AZ
Anybody know where to get this stuff? The usual local places don't have it, and I've found it online, but only in a kit with blacklight, gloves etc. anybody know where I can just find the dye itself? I'm really getting sick of having a gas leak somewhere and not being able to find it. thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

just use a cigarette. works everytime. i know a guy whom had 100% luck with that method (1 for 1).
J/K. free bump. im sorta' curious too. i just look for the wet spots. just me.

Siege, where is az tools out of? i didnt see it.
for what its worth (sure you know this), but down in tucson, autozone and checker sell leak detection kits. ive seen them in the a/c section, but it appears as though some (atleast) of the products work on all oil based systems. i think one or both stores keep some behind the counter (vaugely remember seeing them back there while waiting 45 mins to get parts). :)

let us know how it works. if it doesnt leak enough to make a puddle, i dont worry about it. LOL. Jerry Beach needed a new tank; he referred to it as the Molotov Mustang. hehe.

Looks like they're in Flagstaff. I went to both autozone and checker around here and neither of them had any idea what I was talking about. and the only stuff they had for AC systems was the can of R-134a with the dye added to it.

doesn't leak enough to puddle, but I use craploads of gas and reeks of fuel when its runnin...might as well prevent a possible fire if I can. I'll let you know how it works out

cool. i just remember seeing the stuff (like a whole endcap of it), but knowing those places, it is all the same product for a/c.
i went through the same thing getting a fan controller from them. finally found someone knowledgable that knew what was in the back. typical.
good luck. let (me) us know how it works. ive never used any UV product. my little beast runs rich and smell like it. i need to check the ECT voltages (which Mike Yount just provided earlier in another thread). i think i may be in open loop too long.
good luck, Jason. :)