Vibration when brakes are applied

7upstang91

10 Year Member
May 30, 2008
Florida
When the brakes are applied at a hard rate, the whole car shakes. This is in a AOD 84 Notch. The drive shaft was checked. Is there a check list for this.Vibration only happens when the brakes are used. The vibration is bery strong, and still has the drum brakes.
Thank you for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

Also check your wheel bearings for looseness that be causing wobble. If you have worn front end parts they could help magnify the symptoms. Chances are you just need to have your rotors turned, but you may have to look around to find someone who will turn them these days.

Rotors warped and/or possibly cracked. I let my brother drive my car for a year when I went off to college and he let a brake vibration go unchecked for so long that the rotor eventually cracked and took out a brake pad.

Moral of the story is, don't wait to look into a brake vibration!

You could try (on a safe, closed course) gradually applying the E-brake to see if the vibration occurs. This would help isolate it.

Warped rotors can make the whole car feel like it's shaking if they are really bad. I just had mine turned and the difference was dramatic ! The shop that turns them will also inspect them for minimum thickness and cracking and tell you if they are worth turning, so there's no problem with having them turned. Some places even recommend that you have new ones turned, probably because of manufacturing imperfections. It's the logical first place to start if you are getting the shutters when you hit the brakes. If that doesn't do it, move on to the next step. I'm still working towards the goal of 5 lugs and better brakes myself. :nice: