What else could cause a vibration???

Cobra1894

Oct 7, 2003
Broken Arrow, OK
I have a vibration that will not go away. It gets worse the faster I go, but is not relative to RPM. In any gear at 45 it is not that noticable at 75 it gets worse and at 100 it gets even worse. To try and resolve my problem I have replaced teh following: new gears(3:55) with new bearings, shims, trak lok rebuilt, pinion flange, balanced the driveshaft, replaced the tailshaft bushing, new ujoints, yoke, rear tires, axle shaft bearings.

What else could this vibration be?

I installed a Poly trans mount, would this just increase the feedback and thats why I am noticing the vibration?

• Sponsors (?)

Was the driveshaft balanced on the bench, or was the entire rotating assembly balanced dynamically on the car?

I can feel teh vibration in the seat and shifter. When I press the clutch in it feels as if it gets worse just for a second because there is not a load on the drivetrain and then calms down slowly. Do you think a shop could Diagnose this probklem. I am willing to pay, but I dont want to get screwed.

Where can I go to check to see if my axle tubes are squared with everything else?

Tires are new and have been balanced. New wheel bearings front and rear.

I am not sure how the driveshaft was balanced. I will find out Friday.

Could a pilot bearing or input shaft cause this problem?

All rotors are farily new and this happens when I accelerate not stopping.

I have the same problem.

At 75-90+mph you can hear and feel the vibration.

Mirrors shake so bad you cant see anything... Shifter vibrates...
I havent replaced any of the things you listed so it might not be the same thing.

i've read alot of posts lately about vibration problems that remain unsolved if anyone has resolved this problem maybe they will post but anyways i wonder if others that posted with similar problem had a polly mount, why not reinstall or buy a rubber mount to see if it resolves issue and do you think it could have anything to do with motor mounts you might want to inspect and/or replace them if needed just throwing some suggestions at you. man! you have spent alot of money trying to resolve issue.

Harmonic balancer, check to see if the rubber is coming out of it.
Flywheel could be shot.
Are the tires and rims static or dynamic balanced? This makes a MAJOR difference, my rims have to be dynamic, or else the car vibrates. If you aren't sure what that means, it's that they balance them just behind the spokes and on the inner lip.

The balancer and flywheel are usually rpm specific. I just through them out there just in case.

Sounds to me, like the driveshaft to the back is the problem, but seems you already knew that. I wouldn't of wasted time or money on the stock driveshaft, i would of went for the fms aluminum.

I have a new H. balancer (Less than 5k miles) and just resurfaced the flywheel (less than 1k). I have spent so much money I didnt have the cash for an Aluminum Driveshaft, or I would have done it. Has anyone experienced this with their Transmission?

When did the vibration problem started?...HISSIN50 is trying to steer you in the direction to go to solve it, the driveshaft has to be dynamically balanced...that's what it takes when an upgrade, swap or repair is made to any of the drivetrain components. Check this article courtesy of Donald Bennett, a fellow Stanger that solved the problem doing it the "dynamic" way. This is a procedure that's old, but often overlooked or avoided, to solve vibration issues.
BTW, another items that are often overlooked, are the engine mounts, if they are too compressed, the crankcase might be contacting the frame, causing some of the vibration. My 2¢.

jack your car up and check where the drive shaft bolts directly to the rear end. Replace the driveshaft bolts. They may be backing out or not tightening all the way. I had the same problem over the summer, changed a couple parts and the vibration was still there. Turned out my bolts wern't going all the way into the rear and it was causing the shaft to be loose and that was my vibration problem. YOur more than likely going to have to go to a junk yard, i went to every Auto zone, napa, Advanced in the land....finally had to go to local junk dealer. Found all 4 for $5