Why won't my wheels fit?

I bought the 17 inch Bullitt Wheels that allcarfan had on this site. He said they will fit the front of a 67-69 no prob. but they do not clear the upper a arm on my 68 coupe or my dads 69 mach 1. He said the backspacing is 5.75. Any help would be nice. Thanks, Lance

• Sponsors (?)

5.75" is too much backspacing. You'll need to run a 1" spacer.

I don't see how the shelby drop would make much of a difference...His wheel is probably touching the upper ball joint. Shelby drop won't move that ball joint (in relation to the wheel) more than a fraction of an inch.

Its common knowledge (not to make you feel bad) that basically all SN95 wheels need 1" spacers to fit properly on classic Mustangs because of backspacing and hub size. They do fit the cars just fine, with a spacer. I've got a set of the Magnum 500's from the 02+ Mach 1 on my 67. I love the way they look and they will allow for future brake upgrades. The spacer/adaptors are not that expensive. You should be able to get a set of adaptors off of ebay. I buy mine from a guy on ebay... I think his name is trailsport or something like that. I think you can get a set of 4 shipped for less then 120 bux.

MustangSteve had his narrowed to 7", which allowed him to fit them without spacers.

One advantage is that you have more tire clearance at the fender side and a reduced scrub radius. MS reported that the steering felt better after the modification.

Cost was about $150 per wheel, but of course you don't need to buy spacers.

I thought it would look a little weird with the wheels tucked in, but from the pictures I've seen, it looks fine. See the June issue of Mustang Monthly for pics (also on the MM website).

I can vouch for the MAX BS being 4.75" on the 68's... I just installed 05+ Bullitt wheels, they have a 6.29" BS and I added 1.5" spacers. Even so, I have approx. 1/8" clearance between the edge of the UCA and the back edge of the wheel.

I've posted these images before, they show a 17x8 rim with 4.5" BS on a shelby dropped '69 Mustang. There's not much clearance!

Dsc01309u.jpg

Dsc01311u.jpg

Obviously, I was wrong. I ran the 5.75" BS in the rear without any problems. That was on a 66 mustang with a 68 rearend in it. I was told that BS for the front on a 67-68 should be 5.75. I ran a 1" spacer on the front of my 66, but did not know one was needed for a 67-68 also. You can buy a pair on Ebay for less than $100.

You are still coming out WAY WAY WAY WAY ahead on the wheels and tires, even with the spacer. If you need help finding a spacer, let me know and I will lend a hand.

I may be completely off base but wasn't MS running the full SN95 front conversion (or something similar)? If so, he would not need to run spacers on his wheels becasue the offset would be correct. I remember that he narrowed the wheels for a better fit. Also, isnt a 68 rear about 2 inches wider in total width than a 66 rear? If so, the SN 95 offset would work perfectly on a 65/66. Not sure if I am right or not but I wanted to try to prevent any more headaches for others. Thanks guys!

I may be completely off base but wasn't MS running the full SN95 front conversion (or something similar)? If so, he would not need to run spacers on his wheels becasue the offset would be correct. I remember that he narrowed the wheels for a better fit. Also, isnt a 68 rear about 2 inches wider in total width than a 66 rear? If so, the SN 95 offset would work perfectly on a 65/66. Not sure if I am right or not but I wanted to try to prevent any more headaches for others. Thanks guys!
I would really like to know how you can put an SN 95 suspension underneath a classic Mustang. If Ms or whomever has done that, then I would really like to see the results, and even get the procedure into the FAQ so that we can all see it in action and take measures to make our classics into modern cars. Talk the talk, and walk the walk. Let's see the evidence.

I would really like to know how you can put an SN 95 suspension underneath a classic Mustang. If Ms or whomever has done that, then I would really like to see the results, and even get the procedure into the FAQ so that we can all see it in action and take measures to make our classics into modern cars. Talk the talk, and walk the walk. Let's see the evidence.

p20_020.jpg

You are the most worthless poster on this board.

Please stop trolling.

Thanks.