windshield removal

S&B

I hate my CT. :(
10 Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Cheesehead
I want to remove a bad winshield on my project car but dont want to ruin any paint is there an easy way to do this with braided fishing line or something, or should i call the pro's?

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced mine.
I heated the edges with a heat gun a little, then poked some .032" lockwire through, tied wood dowels to each end of the wire and pulled it around the windshield. The only tedious part was shimming the new window in... so save your shims and re-use them.

For 150 let them do it. I was an autoglass installer for 3yrs. All the recommendations will work. However some will be harder than others. Depends on if its been replaced before. I have had some that come out easy and can be reused again and some that broke all around the edge cutting it out. The wire is the safest way to cut it out with out breaking it. The tool with the little angled blade usually breaks it if you are not extremly careful. There is also a long knife that takes box blades in the end about 2ft long that lets you cut around the edge from the inside. The trim tool can also catch the edge of the glass so careful with that also.