Write up for electric fan?

• Sponsors (?)

I shouldn't have said "better", but rather more efficiently. The Mark VIII fans are 18" in diameter and move approx 4,500cfm

Although the Contour fan doesn't move quite as much air (about 3,600 cfm), it covers more surface area of the radiator with its dual 10" fans than the single 18" Mark VIII fan does.

Either fan would be more than sufficient for even some of the highest strung small blocks. I've got a Contour Dual fan set up on my '06 F150 FX4 and it cools the big 5.4L 3V with no issue at all.

...and sorry, here was that write up I meant to post earlier. :doh:

Thermostatically Controlled Electric Fan Upgrade - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

I use a Taurus fan.They too are very plentiful,and kept my car very cool during the 117 degree days we had last summer.Never an issue,and my car doesn't have a grille either.Sitting at idle was never an issue either.

I have about an inch running down both sides of my Mark VIII fan and no space on top or bottom. From the pictures I've seen for the contour fan, there seems to be roughly the same space along the bottom. It seems they cover roughly the same amount of area.

I wouldn't say the dual fans are more efficient, maybe easier to install/find at a junkyard. I could be biased since I'm running a Mark VIII fan/DCcontroller.

To the OP, after a quick search for "mark VIII fan install" on yahoo... This appeared.
Mark VIII Fan Install

Contour fans mounted to radiator.

fanmounted.jpg

I wouldn't say the dual fans are more efficient, maybe easier to install/find at a junkyard. I could be biased since I'm running a Mark VIII fan/DCcontroller.

Well, lets look at that for a moment. Dual fans at 10" diameter each covers more radiator surface area than a sincge 18" fan. The dual contour fans require 30-35 amp draw on initial start up, versus a 40-45 amp draw for the Mark VIII and the Contour shroud itself covers the entire length of the stock Mustang radiator, leaving only a small section at the bottom open that would be otherwise in the direct path of natural airflow anyway.

Not to mention the dual fan set up can be wired independantly, where a single fan set up can't.

....so yes, I'd say the Dual Contour fans are of a more efficient design and use of space. :shrug:

Again, not necessarily better mind you since as stated both the Lincoln and Contour fans and the newly mentioned Taurus fan (had one on my '87 LX and it worked great) are all more than capable of keeping the engine cool.

has anybody considered using a 97 & up v-6 mustang radiator and fan assy, i was wondering about this set-up ,last summer. i think the hoses look pretty close. i think the ccrm's are pretty cheap in the bone yard. i was wondering if the after market thermostat housing would be a good place to stuff a temp sensor. got no cash-but an active imagination!

has anybody considered using a 97 & up v-6 mustang radiator and fan assy, i was wondering about this set-up ,last summer. i think the hoses look pretty close. i think the ccrm's are pretty cheap in the bone yard. i was wondering if the after market thermostat housing would be a good place to stuff a temp sensor. got no cash-but an active imagination!

Those radiators are pretty thin and wide. They don't cool that well IMHO.

I haven't used the fan on a V8 but it would probably do ok.

It'd be easier to use a HD relay (if you find a CCRM for cheap, sell it to fund the HD relay).

Your idea for the temp switch in the stat housing is dandy. You can get temp switches for 25 bucks plus S/H.

mine came off a T-bird, covers the entire radiator face and mounts exactly like the stock one after I cut holes in the bottom with a cutoff sheel for the clips and pop-riveted aluminum "L" brackets on the top.

Attachments

• T-bird Fan Shround Mount.jpg
    T-bird Fan Shround Mount.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Fan Bottom Clips.jpg
    Fan Bottom Clips.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 145
The Black Magic Fan moves a maximum of around 3300 CFM while the Lincoln Mark VIII Fan moves around 4500-5000 CFM....that's a good bit of a difference.

Don't ask me how, but I have proof of how strong a Mark VIII Fan is...My buddy was testing one to see if it worked on High Speed and ended up somehow sticking his ring and middle finger inside the shroud when it was on High and pretty much cut his fingers through the bone!