R/T-.085 / .337
60ft-2.16 / 1.99
330-5.878 / 5.807
1/8-8.870 / 8.985
mph-82.67 / 76.73
1000-11.434 / 11.735
1/4-13.593 / 14.046
mph-105.18 / 97.76

If it was a 5 speed I would be willing to bet he missed a gear. 76 mph is a very slow speed for a 8.9 in the 1/8 especially when you consider that it has stock gearing and streat tires. 1/4 speed reflects the same thing.

I talked to the owner after the race and it was a clean run for him. As a matter of fact, it was the fastes run all night of the two 05 GTs.

Doc

• Sponsors (?)

Doc GTO said:
I have a few bolt-ons but mostly for better sound. The stock GTO that was there ran a 13.78 or so. You have to remember that the GTO is on the portly side as far as weight. My race weight as per the dragstrip scale was 3855lbs and I'm sure I read that the new GT is b/t 200-300 lbs lighter (correct me if I'm wrong).

Doc

Base curb weight on the gt
MTX 3450
ATX 3500
According to Ford's Product Information Book

Glenns05 said:
I have a 2003 Z06 (LS6 engine and I'm keeping it when the stang gets here) and I know from the vette rags and Z06 site that the headers can make about 10-15 rwhp if they are long tube headers (short tube headers are 0 h.p.), Mid-pipes are good for about maybe 5-10 rwhp (I think) and a basic predator tune pulls about 10-15 rwhp (johan does a good job and has done much better with a custom tune). A C5 LS1 stock loses about 15% due to drive train. So, putting it together I bet the GTO was pushing about 350 + (7/.85) + (12/.85) = 372 at the flywheel and putting down about 316 rwhp.

I don't have my '05 yet but I'll assume 15% drive train loss. So, the stang is putting down 255 rwhp. Considering approximately a 61 rwhp disadvantage and a brand new engine that race was probably closer than the GTO driver would like.

Disclaimer: I'm not biased because I have both

Well at 3855 pounds, stock all season BFGs and no drag skills what do you expect? I need all the bhp I can get! Now, I can drive the $hit out of a SCCA road course being that I am a licensed SCCA race intructor. Also, this was my second time to the dragstrip (first with a manual) so better times are to be had. My fastest time Friday night was almost in the high 13.4s at close to 106mph. The guy in the 05 GT is a highly skilled dragger seing that he has a high 11 second Cobra too!

Doc

bryanzstang said:
my name is Bryan, i'm the owner of the 05 gt. thanks for the race, i saw someone post that i must have missed a gear. i didnt but i did hit the rev limiter in second, probably only slowed me a tenth any way. someone else commented on my reaction times, my other 3 runs were .004,.020,and .036. the car hooks good but needs to be broken in bad.it also was 3770# with me in it. my first run was [email protected] with a 2.1 sixty. i circle tracked the car so all the runs were hot, i think it will run better next time out. to whoever has not driven one, it takes some getting used to. its atotally different feel than my other mustangs

you got a nice launch on that run, i guess due to the new suspension setup and your abilities behind the wheel. congrats to you for getting your new baby out at the tracks.
if it possible,try to get a dyno of her, that way you would know where your peaks are, making it easier for you to select the best shift points out of her.
give her some time to break in, i'm sure it would be different next time
have fun :cheers:

bryanzstang said:
my name is Bryan, i'm the owner of the 05 gt. thanks for the race, i saw someone post that i must have missed a gear. i didnt but i did hit the rev limiter in second, probably only slowed me a tenth any way. someone else commented on my reaction times, my other 3 runs were .004,.020,and .036. the car hooks good but needs to be broken in bad.it also was 3770# with me in it. my first run was [email protected] with a 2.1 sixty. i circle tracked the car so all the runs were hot, i think it will run better next time out. to whoever has not driven one, it takes some getting used to. its atotally different feel than my other mustangs

Bryan,
Good to hear from you and I'm glad you chimed in and cleared up any speculation! I had fun Friday night and enjoyed the run. I didn't think it was going to cause soo much conversation but, hey, that's why we have forums!!! Maybe we can hook up again at Silver Dollar . . .

Doc GTO

bryan, i forgot to ask you:
you said your car was 3770 lbs with you inside, according to the magazines the 05 manual gt weights 3450lbs and i'd like to see how accurate are this rags about this, could you tell us your weight :)

also, you mentioned you got the speed limiter kicking in in 2nd gear, how high on the rpm were you shifting???, did you finish in 3rd or 4th gear ????

Doc GTO said:
Well at 3855 pounds, stock all season BFGs and no drag skills what do you expect? I need all the bhp I can get! Now, I can drive the $hit out of a SCCA road course being that I am a licensed SCCA race intructor. Also, this was my second time to the dragstrip (first with a manual) so better times are to be had. My fastest time Friday night was almost in the high 13.4s at close to 106mph. The guy in the 05 GT is a highly skilled dragger seing that he has a high 11 second Cobra too!

Doc
I don't expect anything. I'm sure your a great driver. Just figured its closer than you would like cause its closer than I would like from the same seat.

Glenns05 said:
I don't expect anything. I'm sure your a great driver. Just figured its closer than you would like cause its closer than I would like from the same seat.

Of course I would have liked to put 10 cars on him but I haven't installed the rocket boosters yet :D. I'm a great driver on a road course but still a cherry on the drag strip! Practice makes perfect!!! Practice is also fun . . .

Doc

QtrWarrior said:
Doc,
Next time you head to Silver Dollar..Let me know. I'll bring my toy.. LOL
I wondered how long it was going to take you to admit it was modded..
See you this week
Mike

The guy in the white GT knew I had a few mods. Bring your toy bring and I'll run you as long as you give me a 7 second head start :spot: !!! See you in the office!

Doc

hey 2005 GT owners, next time you race ,try taking out that hideous emissions restriction in the hose just exiting the airbox towards the TB.Its some kind of honeycomb looking device that I was told is to reduce emissions somehow.You know its gotta kill top end HP.

01GT/03ZX9 said:
hey 2005 GT owners, next time you race ,try taking out that hideous emissions restriction in the hose just exiting the airbox towards the TB.Its some kind of honeycomb looking device that I was told is to reduce emissions somehow.You know its gotta kill top end HP.

What kind of emissions restriction? How does it reduce hp?

kirkyg

my wieght is 240, the traction control is a little bit better, but still bogs it. i took the air filter out and the mph and et dropped a little. i am going to try it again this friday night, this time with some cooldown and not so much gas in it. i was going to try to take advantage of the cool weather to get my 93 lx into the 10s on motor and drag radials, but i think all my friends would shoot me if i didnt show up with the 05. hope to see yall out there.

bryanzstang said:
my wieght is 240, the traction control is a little bit better, but still bogs it. i took the air filter out and the mph and et dropped a little. i am going to try it again this friday night, this time with some cooldown and not so much gas in it. i was going to try to take advantage of the cool weather to get my 93 lx into the 10s on motor and drag radials, but i think all my friends would shoot me if i didnt show up with the 05. hope to see yall out there.

that's only 80lbs heavier than what the rags said it would weight for a 5 speed one...
were you powershifting at all????, i know the car could probably have that brand new car smell, but it could make a diifference,and like you said, let her cooldown and she would reward you..
good luck man.