1964.5 Indy Pace Car Restoration - Paint Questions

dbnyberg

Aug 5, 2009
I am ready to order the paint and have a few questions that I would appreciate feedback on.

1. I need the Ford Color ID for the Pace Car White. Not the color code (C) info, the actual code to order the paint.

2. I assume that the paint scheme is white with 1 coat of clear coat. Is that correct?

3. What is the paint code for the baby blue (V8 260) paint?

4. I am not sure what the undercarriage is supposed to have on it. Any guidance, and perhaps paint code? Also, where does that paint start/stop on the car?

Pics would be great also, Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

1. I need the Ford Color ID for the Pace Car White. Not the color code (C) info, the actual code to order the paint.
Hmmm…

2. I assume that the paint scheme is white with 1 coat of clear coat. Is that correct?
No. Cars were not factory clearcoated in those days. Not even metallic colors.

I suggest you contact one of the original Gold Card judges, Fred Glazier, and ask what he used on his one-owner 64.

FRGEngine3.jpg

4. I am not sure what the undercarriage is supposed to have on it. Any guidance, and perhaps paint code? Also, where does that paint start/stop on the car?

Same car, underneath. Shows the black Dearborn primer.

FRG3498.jpg

The paint oversprayed onto the underside. Then the pinchweld was blacked out (on light color cars), so you'll have a narrow band of black chassis paint, then body color, then primer.

This is a 66 San José car, dark green, so it has red primer and no blackout.

JS010.jpg

Here's a white 66. Note the blackout.

MVC096S.jpg

I am ready to order the paint and have a few questions that I would appreciate feedback on.

Pace Car White is PPG code DDL 8321. It is not a special color made just for the PC coupes; it's from the Ford truck line where it was known as Frost White.

As stated above, single stage paint was the only process at the time, but I'd be ok with base/clear.

PPG code 11297

Pics would be great also, Thanks!

Thanks Steve! I was hoping you would find this thread, we talked a few years ago about this car but I lost your contact info. Finally got the car back home and it is in great condition and nearly all original.

Unfortunately, the car is a bit of a basket case due to the previous owner thinking that they needed to unbolt everything and throw it all into boxes...but i'm working through that...

I will post pics as I start to go back through everything, an I am sure I will have more questions!