1966 wiring harness

A winter project will be to rewire my 66 k coupe. It has been spliced and diced over the years and needs to be made reliable. Should I go with a stock type harness or go with the painless harness. Also any idea of costs for the harness kits. Thanks for your continued support.

• Sponsors (?)

1966 wiing harness

Along the same line, does anyone know if the replacement harnesses include the fog light wiring? All vendors list only one harness for all '66's, GT or not.

The painless setup is anything but and it looks out of place unless your car is a restomod and you simply do not care. I would try to find an original under dash harness and buy all the other ones new as they get more damage from heat dirt.

As far as the fog light harness, that is a separate harness that can be added to any normal harness.

Ronstang said:
The painless setup is anything but and it looks out of place unless your car is a restomod and you simply do not care.

Sorry, but I guess you have not seen my underdash or engine compartment. Mine looks neater than factory. The painless wiring when layed out on the floor next to the old, I thought matched up perfectly! I have had GREAT success with my painless system!

spirockp said:
Sorry, but I guess you have not seen my underdash or engine compartment. Mine looks neater than factory. The painless wiring when layed out on the floor next to the old, I thought matched up perfectly! I have had GREAT success with my painless system!

That is nice for you. I have worked with the kit and I PREFER the look of the original on all except restomods where people are using their engine compartment as a "work of art" so to speak. It is my preference. I do not like some of the connectors on the painless system and I think it is quite expensive....but then again I have 2 or 3 complete harnesses out of 66 cars as spares.

Choice between Painless or factory harness

I'd go factory everyday of the week. Otherwise I'd make my own before I paid the money for anybodies after market kit. But then electrical is one of my favorite things, and needs to be done correctly in order to live for the next 30 years w/o problems.

Contact the vendors and find out if the replacement harness's are made here in the USA. If not be specific in asking them if the new harness uses the same gauge wire as the original.

I picked up a turn signal switch and the dash to console harnes for a '66 from NPD that has really nice wire. Not sure if they are all the same quality from different vendors.

I have the painless harness and it seems to work just fine for me and this is the first car I have ever wired. And as far as looking like factory, well it all depends on how you cover the wires, I wrapped mine in electrical tape and it seems to look just as good as the 39 year old harness I tore out.