1968 DO0E heads better than E7TE's ????

im rebuilding my 68 302. i have the 58cc chamber DO0E 302 heads on the motor.

trying to figure out if i should spend the money and have the original heads rebuilt with new hardened valve seats or just look for a nice used set of E7TE's?

ive been quoted $280 for a valve job and hardened seats...but "what if" i need other head work? are the DO0E heads worth the extra exspense?

also, on a 68 302 block are there any drawbacks to using the E7's? i know i read on 289's there are.

• Sponsors (?)

There were no 1968 D0OE heads. You have a later set of heads there. The "D0" means they were first produced in the 1970 model year, so the earliest they will have been cast was late 1969. Look in the rocker valley. Cast there you will find eitehr 302 or 351. If they're 351 heads, they'll have the slightly larger valves and ports (1.84/1.54 vs the 302's 1.78/1.48) The 351's will also have 8 intake bolts per side with "L" shaped coolant ports. These D0OE heads are a litlte better head than E7TE's. If they're 302 heas, then you might start a bit ahead with E7TE's (then port them before using)

There were no 1968 D0OE heads. You have a later set of heads there. The "D0" means they were first produced in the 1970 model year, so the earliest they will have been cast was late 1969. Look in the rocker valley. Cast there you will find eitehr 302 or 351. If they're 351 heads, they'll have the slightly larger valves and ports (1.84/1.54 vs the 302's 1.78/1.48) The 351's will also have 8 intake bolts per side with "L" shaped coolant ports. These D0OE heads are a litlte better head than E7TE's. If they're 302 heas, then you might start a bit ahead with E7TE's (then port them before using)

well they say 302 cast into the head and D0OE in another area. so are the e7's better?

wil i lose alot of compression going to E7's?

well they say 302 cast into the head and D0OE in another area. so are the e7's better?

wil i lose alot of compression going to E7's?

you will lose a ton of compression with the E7 heads, they have 64cc chambers vs the D0 heads' 58cc chambers. if it was me i'd do a mild home porting job and have the D0 heads redone, the E7's aren't a whole lot better than what you already have flow wise

Ditto, you might be just as better off doing the D0OE's. Or better yet shopping for a good used set of aluminum or already worked factory heads. By the time you spend money on machinework, screw in studs, guide plates, new valves (if they need em) springs & retainers, you can well have more money invested than just hunting down a used set. I did a set of E7's myself. Ported the exhaust sides, bowl blended them, cleanup & bowls on the intake sides and only needed a $80 valve job and new springs, all total I spent maybe $250 on em, plus another $120 for a set of used1.7 Cobra rockers. It all depends on what shape the heads are that you start with and how much of the work you do yourself. On the other hand I bought a used set of GT40Y's last year for $600 for my son. Seen other similarly priced sets of Ford Racing and Edelbrock heads too. It's not hard to spend that much or more on iron factory heads.

im picking up a set of E7's for 50 bux. they have been rebuilt abd the guy did a headswap so he wants to get rid of them.

how much compression am i looking at loosing? will having the head shaved down a bit counter-act that? or should i look at getting a set of newer 302 pistons?

You can mill the E7's .040 and that'll get the chambers down to 57.8 cc's. If you want more removed then you may get into intake fitment issues, mainly due to the intake bolts moving toward the centerline of the engine. In that case you can "waller" the bolt holes in the intake to compensate for this.