Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

There's enough welding wire on that thing. Not nearly as ugly as I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Im here.

What a jug fck.

It took till about 10am to get the torque troll installed. I checked his up angle..seems that he is at an actual 4 degrees.
( thats what I originally wanted).
I had to go into work on my way out..The rear tires were literally jumping off the pavement at 80MPH.

The reason for having to go into work added another hour and a half to my departure..and once on the way out..the bouncing tires had me going south 6 miles, and turning around, swearing that the tire store that mounted them on Sunday either didn't balance the tires properly, or bent a wheel while doing so.

BUT....by the time I get back to the exit,..the tires are no longer jumping, and have smoothed out considerably.

These tires have "flat spotted" and just need to be driven to cool the fck out.

So....I turn around, and head south...again....Its 12pm.

The tires would oscillate between running smooth, and out of nowhere acting like its gonna fall the fck off.

THE WHOLE WAY HERE.

The diag is a bad wheel bearing too.
No matter...I'm putting C Clip eliminators on it, and the recommended @revhead347 Detroit differential upgrade during the upcoming cold assed months.

There is an exhaust leak that pollutes the interior..you have to leave the window down..and you still smell it. Its the exhaust manifold...the thing has been leaking since day one..it is one more thing that I can fix that will just make more power when its done..

Who here can fix a header leak, and pick up anything other than reduced noise, and no more exhaust stink?

I get 150 miles in...I stop for gas..( the things getting like 20+ mpg)..
NO start..Slow crank..like the battery is dying..( WTF should I expect? Its only a 7 year old Optima red top)
If not for my little Chinee Amazon jump box..
20201112_174444.jpg

I'd still be sitting there, asking for a jump.
Fortunately...I had the wherewithal to bring that thing...And once hooked up..
It Started right up.

The car itself ran perfectly up until the time it got into Fla..Then it decided it to start running really sketchy at idle..By the time I got here..it was all I could do to keep it from dying at idle.

Tomorrow, im turning the Idle screw to speed up the engine.

Then...Im cleaning the 50 bazillion bugs off of it for exactly $1.25.
AND sitting in a chair behind the monster..

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
Sounds like a pain in the ass. It's always something. I've had red tops last 20+ years. My dad used to get them for free because they replaced all of them on the lifeboats every 6 months or something. The trick is to trickle charge them everytime; 1.5amps max.

Just got my car back together today and went out for an hour to do nothing else than beating it mercilessly. You are going to love that diff.

Kurt

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Im here.

What a jug fck.

It took till about 10am to get the torque troll installed. I checked his up angle..seems that he is at an actual 4 degrees.
( thats what I originally wanted).
I had to go into work on my way out..The rear tires were literally jumping off the pavement at 80MPH.

The reason for having to go into work added another hour and a half to my departure..and once on the way out..the bouncing tires had me going south 6 miles, and turning around, swearing that the tire store that mounted them on Sunday either didn't balance the tires properly, or bent a wheel while doing so.

BUT....by the time I get back to the exit,..the tires are no longer jumping, and have smoothed out considerably.

These tires have "flat spotted" and just need to be driven to cool the fck out.

So....I turn around, and head south...again....Its 12pm.

The tires would oscillate between running smooth, and out of nowhere acting like its gonna fall the fck off.

THE WHOLE WAY HERE.

The diag is a bad wheel bearing too.
No matter...I'm putting C Clip eliminators on it, and the recommended @revhead347 Detroit differential upgrade during the upcoming cold assed months.

There is an exhaust leak that pollutes the interior..you have to leave the window down..and you still smell it. Its the exhaust manifold...the thing has been leaking since day one..it is one more thing that I can fix that will just make more power when its done..

Who here can fix a header leak, and pick up anything other than reduced noise, and no more exhaust stink?

I get 150 miles in...I stop for gas..( the things getting like 20+ mpg)..
NO start..Slow crank..like the battery is dying..( WTF should I expect? Its only a 7 year old Optima red top)
If not for my little Chinee Amazon jump box..

I'd still be sitting there, asking for a jump.
Fortunately...I had the wherewithal to bring that thing...And once hooked up..
It Started right up.

The car itself ran perfectly up until the time it got into Fla..Then it decided it to start running really sketchy at idle..By the time I got here..it was all I could do to keep it from dying at idle.

Tomorrow, im turning the Idle screw to speed up the engine.

Then...Im cleaning the 50 bazillion bugs off of it for exactly $1.25.
AND sitting in a chair behind the monster..
Sorry you are having issues,but looking forward to hopefully a large car show/Monster photo dump
:demon:

the CPS filter might have a timeout, so the no spark will most likely be that or the cam synchro signal. This is common on two signal in scenarios'.

The shaking is prop (um), Drive shaft. Something I would do is recheck the bolts.

Tire crowning is an at birth thing. Which is why they call it crowning. Before it gets bedded in.

20201113_114620.jpg
1000 cars...im 861. I'm Parked in Way south 40..with about 400 others..
20201113_114702.jpg
20201113_113921.jpg
20201113_114101.jpg
20201113_114313.jpg
20201113_114512.jpg
20201113_114602.jpg

20201113_114635.jpg
20201113_114722.jpg
20201113_114835.jpg

This is why I go to these things...the diversity is amazing, and the people are just as fun..Not all the same stuff, or brand..or....

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 9 users
Glad you made it there. Good thing we have a few good people in that state.

Do you think that front bushing may be too soft causing the troll underneath to oscillate ? Tires don't usually go in and out if shape....a driveshaft issue would be repeatable at the same speed and load.

Im done for the day..the mass exodus at 5 pm was nothing I was interested in sitting in this afternoon...
Tomorrow will be the day to be there early..and I will have to sit in a line there.
As for today,...The monster sleeps.
20201113_143914.jpg

Good job Monster...sleep well.
It's going on 3 here...There are other things to do, and that I need to do other than sitting in a chair in front of my car all day..
After all....this is still the beach.
20201113_144812.jpg

And what else would I be doing here if I wouldn't be at a car show?
*Hint..
20201113_144827.jpg

While waiting on Kate to get back here from her mani-pedi...
As for the car,....I don't know..I know that whatever it is is inconsistent. It doesnt do it all the time, and won't do it at just one speed. For it to be good ( or almost good) enough, then go to shaking the steering wheel bad is beyond me. Coming into this parking deck requires several hard turns, and there is definitely groaning going on in either the front, or rear bearings..I did find a really low front tire this morning ( 22 psi) I aired it to 36.
Hopefully it gets me home. When I'm back, ill replace the rear bearings with a C clip eliminator kit, and ill look at the fronts as well.

The Tork-Troll looks perfect under the car, of course I haven't exactly beat on it either, but tomorrow night does have its cruise night where all of the street heroes have already laid down some serious burnout actions...
Maybe I'll check that out..Maybe..ill take a bottle of water with me....

Reactions: 6 users
HeHateMe likes the Falcon gasser enough to photographi it? I passed on 2 really cheap 63 Falcons I saw on FB because they were attempted gassers....I guess if that's your thing to have LEAF Springs on the front axle, but that's so 1872. A real man knows leaf springs belong on the rear axle!

I wouldn't worry about the torque troll...if you twist him up like a blunt, a Uhaul car hauler is only about $120 for 3 days, get the small Uhaul truck to tow and you're probably home for less than $400.

:tss:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
HeHateMe likes the Falcon gasser enough to photographi it? I passed on 2 really cheap 63 Falcons I saw on FB because they were attempted gassers....I guess if that's your thing to have LEAF Springs on the front axle, but that's so 1872. A real man knows leaf springs belong on the rear axle!

I wouldn't worry about the torque troll...if you twist him up like a blunt, a Uhaul car hauler is only about $120 for 3 days, get the small Uhaul truck to tow and you're probably home for less than $400.

:tss:
Uhhh..Don't confuse the fact that I took a pic of something with me liking it. There were probably 5-6 falcons here including the gasser..Actually 1 more than the fox body mustangs I walked past.

Maybe you're onto a new emerging fad of sorts...maybe all the Fox mustang guys will sell their cars, and find some rusted out Falcon instead.

Maybe the 60-63 falcons will become the new belly buttons.....maybe Ford will make a retro falcon..and rekindle the love affair the 17 people that actually bought those thing new had with that car.....

Makes you wonder...

It's Saturday...weather is about as perfect as you could want it to be..ive taken a quick walk-around..snapped a few more cool cars.. This VeeDubb bus was in front of me....freakin cool
20201114_081205.jpg
20201114_081156.jpg
20201114_080751.jpg

Gotta have a new C8
20201114_081147.jpg
20201114_080743.jpg
20201114_080713.jpg
20201114_080640.jpg

Some of the paint jobs...you can tell these freakin things didn't get driven here.

• Happy
Reactions: 4 users