Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

Im done..Again the overwhelming redundancy of answering two questions over and over has wore me out.
NOBODY knew that that engine was a 2j.
Granted, the spectators didn't know a Ford from a Chevy, so that wasn't unexpected..but none of the orange wrist band wearers did either. Because..it wasn't an LS
( participants wore orange, spectators wore yellow)
Once they were told it was a Supra engine, you could see a faint glimmer of recognition in their eyes..some more than others. Nonetheless I must've answered that question 50 times. The guy sitting next to me asked if I ever get tired of answering the same questions over and over...I told him when I'm done, ill leave.

Im officially done.

It was much more attended today than yesterday, and there was a constant stream of cars pouring in up till about noon..Im figuring double what yesterday's take was. There was alot of cool sht to be sure...but having been there since 745 am and sitting in the fckin sun takes its toll on me. All-in-all..a good show.

This is Trump town though..the disillusioned few still detached from reality walking by with their MAGA, or Trump 2020 hats just daring somebody to fck with them...not me. There even was an entire RV at the front plastered with campaign sht like the race was still running..( talk about sleeping at the tree)
Too many, too redneck, too...."get a rope" for my liking..I just kept my mouth shut while the Trump train ambled along infront of me,...sometimes stopping to ask what my engine was, and tell me how cool it was...
Thanks...Trump boy..time to move on...
All in all a good time for everyone.

Last edited:
  • Loved It!
Reactions: 4 users
It's Saturday...weather is about as perfect as you could want it to be..ive taken a quick walk-around..snapped a few more cool cars.. This VeeDubb bus was in front of me....freakin cool
20201114_081205.jpg
20201114_081156.jpg
20201114_080751.jpg

Gotta have a new C8
20201114_081147.jpg
20201114_080743.jpg
20201114_080713.jpg
20201114_080640.jpg

Some of the paint jobs...you can tell these freakin things didn't get driven here.
Was that a ‘34 Ford kit car? Either way, that’s pretty sweet!

I’m home. Excepting the one time that the car needed the little jump box to start it after I forgot that the lights were on, it made the entire 520 miles without a hitch.
Except for the random jump from perfectly smooth tire rotation, to acting like it was gonna have a tire fall off. That annoyance would come and go, and come and go the entire drive. Sometimes perfectly balanced smooth for a half hour, then out of the blue wobbling like a wheel was loose.

On the way down, I thought it was a rear wheel bearing, but after driving the car into the parking deck and making the tight turns as I wound the car up to level 5, the noise seemed to be coming from the front..A distinct groan that could only be a wheel bearing,....but coming from the front instead.
I wasn’t gonna attempt an Auto Zone parking lot swap, so I got in the car and drove.
The vibration came and went the whole way home again. By the time I got w/i about 60 miles of home, I noticed the thing was also wandering a little in the lane.. ( I was thinking that I was gonna loose a wheel at any minute at 80 mph...I almost had to pry my hands off the wheel by the time I got in the driveway...)

When I got it home, I immediately put the front end in the air, and grabbed the passenger side tire at the top and gave it the ole push/ pull treatment.

I’ll bet the tire moved 1/2” in/out.:O_o:
Went to the driver’s side, same thing...maybe only 1/4-3/8”. Both nuts were so tight I needed an extension on the breaker bar to loosen them.

When you read the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing, guess what it says..
*Erratic Vibration, groaning/grinding, especially in tight turns at low speeds..:nonono:

I put those things on probably 6 years ago, and the total mileage can’t amount to more than about 2000 miles. They are/ were supposedly Timken bearings..clearly..Nothing to be gained from that brand name.

Nonetheless, Ive just ordered a new set from Summit..Same damn Timken brand as they are “ in stock”. Also ordered a set of drilled/slotted front rotors..guess I’ll have to clean up the calipers, and give them a coat of paint now that I’ve got pretty rotors coming.

It was all good. The car got a little over 22 mpg mostly at 80 mph. If i wasn’t afraid that I was either gonna bend the Tork troll, or loose a wheel and go careening into the crowd while out doing something stupid, I mighta done that...But I didn’t..Maybe next time.

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users
Are you using an SN95 style bearing and spindle? It's a notoriously poor double ball bearing design that fails easily. Chinese aftermarket bearings don't help much. Sorry you had to endure that much MAGA.

Kurt

Check out some autocross bearing greasing info for mustang foxes with sn95 brakes or cobras. That sealed bearing isn't as sealed as you may think. What one man has put together....another can take apart ( without damaging it ). The autocross folks say its due to cheap grease. All you need to do is correctly separate the bearing, clean the cheap grease out, and grease it up with a good synthetic high temperature bearing grease.

This discusses the process but the pics don't work.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user