1998 GT Kenne Bell

Tyson98GT

May 12, 2005
I will be graduating from High School in two weeks and I am going to be buying a Kenne Bell Supercharger with my graduation money. Also for a 98GT is the 1.7 Kenne Bell the best application or would a centrfigural supercharger a better option for a 98? Also should I do the P.I. swap or just have my stock intake and heads ported and polished? I also plan on buying the VT stage 2 cams. So if anyone could answer these questions that would be great thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Just how much money are you planning on making for graduating HS?! :shrug: I graduated HS 4 years ago and only walked away with $1,300 in present money.

I THINK you will need the forged PI heads if you get the KB kit. I may be wrong though. Someone please pwn me... :p

I should be looking at close to like 2,500 and I have another 3,000 dollars saved up in a savings account, so that will give me a good chunk. Also what do you mean when you say forged heads? Like are we talking factory forged or heads from a company like Patriot?

Some kids are more spoiled than others... I did about the same cash-wise, but my parents also sent me on a trip to Cozumel and Cancun... They were going to send me to the Bob Bondurant school, but I told them no because I thought it was too expensive and felt guilty for asking.... looking back now, I'm more like :bang:

Anyways back on topic... If you're not going to rebuild the bottom end then I would keep your stock heads(for compression reasons) If you rebuild the bottom end you can throw in some 15cc pistons and you'll be ok to do the PI head-swap. Centrifugal blowers don't make power as quickly as twin-screw/roots blower, so I'd go Kenne Bell, and stay with the 1.7 if you're not going to forge the bottom end. If you don't strengthen the internals though who's to say how long the rods will last?

Alright got it going to port and polish the NPI Heads. How much power will I gain from porting and polishing the NPI Heads? Also what about the intake? Another port and polish job?

screw all that head work and aftermarket cams$$, buy a low milege 99+ engine and throw a kb on it. Your engine is probably high milege(i could be wrong) Plus the cost of head ported and cams plus labor is the cost of a used or possible neww 99+ engine if you find a good deal. And it will be much easier to tune, and more reliable(the engine alone will give you some fun anyways.

Engine swap lab0r $900 tops in so. cal so likely less where you live. Head removal is at least $1000 +you wqant to port$ plus cams installed$$$. I've been where you are, and in the long run it is much cheaper just to buy a new engine and start from there. I have a 98 as well

squares98 said:
screw all that head work and aftermarket cams$$, buy a low milege 99+ engine and throw a kb on it. Your engine is probably high milege(i could be wrong) Plus the cost of head ported and cams plus labor is the cost of a used or possible neww 99+ engine if you find a good deal. And it will be much easier to tune, and more reliable(the engine alone will give you some fun anyways.

KB doesn't currently make a kit for a 99+ engine in a 96-98 GT using the 96-98 computer and system. I asked KB directly and they currently don't have anything that works. An option would be a full pi swap with wiring, fuel etc. but that would be a pain. Just remember that if you get a KB now, and plan on changing your heads out in the future, the intake will not fit as 96-98 KB kit's are different. Maybe someone will come up with an adapter or something.

Tyson98GT said:
Also is the intercooler essential or non essential, I am looking to make around 450hp or 500?

not gonna happen with a 98 motor with no work done to the engine. you need a PI motor and lots of boost to hit 500 (I am assuming you mean rwhp) I have almost all the bolt ons and only running 9psi and getting pretty good numbers from the kit. But I don't see you hitting those numbers in your car without a new motor and a 14# pulley

Tyson98GT said:
I will be graduating from High School in two weeks and I am going to be buying a Kenne Bell Supercharger with my graduation money. Also for a 98GT is the 1.7 Kenne Bell the best application or would a centrfigural supercharger a better option for a 98? Also should I do the P.I. swap or just have my stock intake and heads ported and polished? I also plan on buying the VT stage 2 cams. So if anyone could answer these questions that would be great thanks.

Tyson, I am serious as a heart attack. (Old Texas saying.) You are a young man and do not have much experience driving yet. If you do this, you could easily kill yourself.

That being said, getting a standard centrifical blower on your car as is will get you to about 280rwhp. That's going to be pretty fast.

If it's not enough, get the K/B, maybe the 6psi version, P&P your own heads and get those cams.

If you must do the PI swap which will really improve your power, you will have to have the swirl dams removed to keep the c/r down to a safe level.

Why not just do the headswap with the VT cams? Get gears if you don't have them. I promise you, you will be thrown back hard in your seat.

Good luck and congrats for graduating HS.