2005 Mustang or Subaru WRX STi

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

STI sucks in the snow, unless you put on 4 snow tires.

Mustang GT will be about $6,000 cheaper. For $32K the STI doesn't even come with a radio :( that is a $600 dealer installed option.

Performance wise both should be about the same. STI has the advantage of 5000rpm clutch drop luanchs, but you can't do to many of those before you break something. STI will handle a little better, but that doesn't mean the Stang will be like driving a Van. Mustang will probably handle as good as your current WRX. with the money you save you can buy a sick suspension package for $2000 and kick STI @$$

Great input! I'm sort of surprised I didn't get the obligatory "get rid of that fokin rice you are driving and get a mustang!" :rlaugh:

Thanks for the link about the handling of the 2005. Now I'm really getting excited if the handling improves even half as much as predicted. :banana:

I'm about 90% sure on the new stang, but I still have this nagging feeling about the STi. It's definitely going to come down to some solid test drives. The price difference actually has factored in. Even if I spend 27k for a loaded GT, that's about 5k less than an STi would run me. Bam--there's my Kenne Belle!! :D

I've posted on the NASIOC forums (Subaru) and gotten some great, well thought out responses, to responses that make it sound like Mustangs don't even have steering wheels.

Oh, and for some fun, you should see this latest thread on the GT vs. the STi
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=580672

HairyCanary said:
The downside to the Mustang will be the stick axle, if that bothers you. I've learned to live with it and actually enjoy it -- it does hop sideways a bit over big bumps, but unless you actually drive over a really washboard surface, it doesn't have any real effect on where the car is going.

Dave

When at the MCA 40th in Nashville, I asked a question about the sideways hop being either reduced or minimized with the new rear axle set-up. I was told that most of the hop has been eliminated because the side-to-side motion is better controlled by the Panhard arm. It sounds promising.

I am fairly new to the forum and spend most of my time in the classic section since I have a 68 gt500 clone but besides the 68, I have owned a sti for several months now. I can honestly say the STI is one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever owned. I have done no engine mods and I must say the car is down right quick. You will experience no turbo lag like the wrx, the only trouble is launching it, I always get a slight bog unless the car is launched from 4000. The sti is incredibly nimble and enjoys being thrown around. It does lack creature comforts, my 04 came without a radio, I added a sunroof and removed the rear wing. Traction is amazing and you will be hard pressed to break it loose, 4wheel donuts in a nice fresh blacktopped parking lot are a hoot.
I am in the car business and own several major car rental companies in Chicago. My first car was a mustang and I have owned 20 gts or the like since I started driving. I normally keep cars for 6 months before getting something new, but in all reality have found nothing to switch to, maybe the Magnum for a few months, but it doesnt really inspire me like the STI does. As far as getting an STI or GT, its all in your preference, they both have quirks, but hey, thats what makes cars fun. I love the STI, but ordered my 05 Mineral Gray GT convertible yesterday, some Shelby stripes down the hood and it will be a clone of my clone, what kind of better looking garage can a guy ask for.
Boat Drinks
Ron

I have a few issues to address.

1) 300bhp is a lot more than the 260 that the gt produces so it's a lot closer to cobra territory than a gt.

2) you say if youi launch the car like a cobra? honestly you must know zero about drag racing and a lot about making lame excuses. obviously if you don't try a car to it's ability it's going to be slower.

3) the rally suspension on wrx actually makes the bumps on the roads much more tolerable as it's made to handle them while flying. And i know because we have a lot worse roads than Indy.

4) The subaru is barely 3k while the cobra is like 3600, so now the horsepower/weight ratio gap isn't so big.

5) Sti you can get for about 30.9 with stereo etc. before t/l which is close to the cobra.

6)A turbo car is not less reliable than a na v8 especially when it comes from ford.

Jerm95gt said:
1) 300bhp is a lot more than the 260 that the gt produces so it's a lot closer to cobra territory than a gt.
Except that the STi has 25% driveline loss with the AWD. That's 225 to the wheels, which is roughly what the GT puts down with only 15% driveline loss.

2) you say if youi launch the car like a cobra? honestly you must know zero about drag racing and a lot about making lame excuses. obviously if you don't try a car to it's ability it's going to be slower.
Lame excuse? It's reality. Go ahead, drop the clutch at 6000 RPM with the STi. You will get five or ten good launches that way before you leave pieces of the drivetrain lying on the ground.

4) The subaru is barely 3k while the cobra is like 3600, so now the horsepower/weight ratio gap isn't so big.
The STi is 3263 with no options. That's a bit more than "barely 3k".

6)A turbo car is not less reliable than a na v8 especially when it comes from ford.
That's true as a general rule. The STi in particular, though, has already acquired a bad reputation for blowing up the motor. The N/A and boosted V8's from Ford do not have that reputation. I know a guy locally who's putting down a bit over 700 horsepower at the wheels with his 2003 Cobra. Try that with the 2.5L engine in the STi. Better have a big wallet.

Fact is, the STi is a solid high-13, low-14 car for most drivers, and anybody unwilling to blow it up to get the best times. The Cobra is a whole different type of car, and will cream the STi in a straight line without even trying. This is not necessarily a negative thing for the STi, it's claim to fame has never been straight line speed. :shrug:

Dave

HairyCanary said:
Except that the STi has 25% driveline loss with the AWD. That's 225 to the wheels, which is roughly what the GT puts down with only 15% driveline loss.

Lame excuse? It's reality. Go ahead, drop the clutch at 6000 RPM with the STi. You will get five or ten good launches that way before you leave pieces of the drivetrain lying on the ground.

The STi is 3263 with no options. That's a bit more than "barely 3k".

That's true as a general rule. The STi in particular, though, has already acquired a bad reputation for blowing up the motor. The N/A and boosted V8's from Ford do not have that reputation. I know a guy locally who's putting down a bit over 700 horsepower at the wheels with his 2003 Cobra. Try that with the 2.5L engine in the STi. Better have a big wallet.

Fact is, the STi is a solid high-13, low-14 car for most drivers, and anybody unwilling to blow it up to get the best times. The Cobra is a whole different type of car, and will cream the STi in a straight line without even trying. This is not necessarily a negative thing for the STi, it's claim to fame has never been straight line speed. :shrug:

Dave

Well put Canary. Mustangs are generally straight-line cars. STi's are not. Don't get me wrong, some Stangs can slice and dice twisties. It comes down to what you want out of a car. A V-8 will almost always have more horsepower potential because of the likelihood of the additional displacement. Don't forget the huge disparity in torque too. I'm talkin' turbo to turbo and N/A to N/A here. The fact is, most 4-holer's need a turbo just to keep up with a V-8. I like instant, low end power, so I choose V-8’s. Heck, N/A 5.0’s don’t have enough torque for me! I need MORE!

The STi rep about blown up motors is due to the piss-poor tune that they came with from the factory. Detonation was a serious issue on many cars from everything I read. Problem has been solved, however. Regardless, I would immediately upgrade to the Cobb tuning Stage 2 package (what I currently have on my WRX).

Thanks for the write-up, Ron. Nimble is the perfect word for describing my WRX, and the STi's handling puts the WRX to shame. That's what is keeping it in the running. The combination of spectacular handling, all-wheel drive, and a tremendous power to weight ratio makes it one nice package.

It's gonna come down to some drives with both. If the handling of the '05 Mustang is improved, then that will do it for me. As much as I like my WRX, I want "pin me back in my seat" power down low. The only way you get that with a 4-cylinder engine is by abusing the tranny on hard launches. It's fun, but every time you do it you are just waiting for the gears to explode (which is why I don't anymore). The STi may be better for this, since it does have an additional 0.5 L of displacement.

As mentioned, you need to compare the STi with a Cobra, not a GT. Then you go get the Cobra. Stock, it is about .4 seconds quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile and with some simple and relativley cheap bolt ons, you can get the Cobra up to 500 hp at the rear wheels and destroy just about anything in your path :D Try that with an STi without blowing yourself up. Here is the how to guide on getting the Cobra up to 500 hp, Cobra

Cool Thread, I just bought an Evo after going back and forth between a mustang, Evo, Sti, and recently a 300C. I had to take the Evo cause i got it for 25 :) . Ionno all these arguments kinda make sense but after driving the Evo its clear that 4 wheel drive rally cars are just not in the same category as V8 American muscle. Not to say that one is better or superior, they're just different. I think i'm qualified to say so because the Evo is pretty similiar to the STi. I've carved mountain rounds at 60 miles an hour without any problems in the Evo but I would get owned by a mach 1 with a couple bolt ons at the drag strip. One extra thing that I really enjoy about these turboed 4 bangers is the fact that their turboed. The sensation of speed when you hit about 3500 rpms is just f'in amazing.
And to respond to the previous post thats simply retarded, no one built the Sti or the Evo for the drag strip and i garuntee you no Evo or Sti owner really gives a damn. The Cobra isn't .4 faster on 0-60 as many reliable magazines rate them about .2 apart. You can't really compare an STi and a Cobra with such a one dimensional mindset. What happens when you actually have to TURN the damn car? What happens when you put your mustang on a freeway with a high end turbo charged vehicle. In terms of quality and performance OVERALL, (not in a straight line) the Evo and the STi has been tested with actual supercars and exotics meaning the ferraris and such and hung in there pretty well. It really depends on what you want. I respect mustangs for all their power and potential but I'd personally go with the Sti.

Sxhawnn said:
Cool Thread, I just bought an Evo after going back and forth between a mustang, Evo, Sti, and recently a 300C. I had to take the Evo cause i got it for 25 :) . Ionno all these arguments kinda make sense but after driving the Evo its clear that 4 wheel drive rally cars are just not in the same category as V8 American muscle. Not to say that one is better or superior, they're just different. I think i'm qualified to say so because the Evo is pretty similiar to the STi. I've carved mountain rounds at 60 miles an hour without any problems in the Evo but I would get owned by a mach 1 with a couple bolt ons at the drag strip. One extra thing that I really enjoy about these turboed 4 bangers is the fact that their turboed. The sensation of speed when you hit about 3500 rpms is just f'in amazing.
And to respond to the previous post thats simply retarded, no one built the Sti or the Evo for the drag strip and i garuntee you no Evo or Sti owner really gives a damn. The Cobra isn't .4 faster on 0-60 as many reliable magazines rate them about .2 apart. You can't really compare an STi and a Cobra with such a one dimensional mindset. What happens when you actually have to TURN the damn car? What happens when you put your mustang on a freeway with a high end turbo charged vehicle. In terms of quality and performance OVERALL, (not in a straight line) the Evo and the STi has been tested with actual supercars and exotics meaning the ferraris and such and hung in there pretty well. It really depends on what you want. I respect mustangs for all their power and potential but I'd personally go with the Sti.

So how does it compare to an 05 gt? Since that is what this thread was poriginally about.

BTW... Why not an EVO? It beats an Sti in just about every test they've done, yea yea i know magazine racing, but still its like 3 Gs cheaper and you dun have to buy "options" like a god damn radio. Which basically makes it like 5gs cheaper. I mean if money isn't really an issue go ahead cause your basically gonna have to pay a nice mark up if you want an EVO or an STi in the first place. Unless you buy yours about 3000 miles used and get a 5 k discount like me :).

Sxhawnn said:
BTW... Why not an EVO? It beats an Sti in just about every test they've done, yea yea i know magazine racing, but still its like 3 Gs cheaper and you dun have to buy "options" like a god damn radio. Which basically makes it like 5gs cheaper. I mean if money isn't really an issue go ahead cause your basically gonna have to pay a nice mark up if you want an EVO or an STi in the first place. Unless you buy yours about 3000 miles used and get a 5 k discount like me :).

Ok so how does the Evo compare to the 05 gt?

Status
Not open for further replies.