2010 CAI/Tune thoughts and questions

Soooooo....I'm thinking of getting a SCT tuner and tuning my 2010 GT. The throttle lag seems severe at times (floor it and wait). I had questions though. Does anyone know exactly what the deal is with the adaptive knock calibration and how/if it's affected by flashing a custom tune? My understanding is that you can run 87 octane with no problems, but if you add 91 octane the computer will advance the spark and you'll have torque gains. Can the same be said for an 87 octane "flashed" tune?

My other thoughts are that the stock CAI looks pretty damned good. I mean, they already squeezed an extra 15 HP out of the engine; am I REALLY going to find a benefit to changing out the CAI with a JLT or C&L? Even looking at most of the C&L data, the real gains seem to come from the tune...with possibly small gains from the filter media. I pulled out my filter last weekend and it looks like a clever box design with a ram-air going to the grill. I've read conflicting reports (From CAI manufacturers) that it's not a true CAI, etc etc...but it seems common sense that the air directly imported from the front grill to a closed box is going to be colder than the ambient air under the hood that you get from every aftermarket CAI. I'm thinking of going with a dry filter from AFE. They claim 33% better flow from stock and it has a new design with more surface area than the paper flat (or K&N) filter.
I'm just flashing back to '91 when I pulled the air silencer out of my 1990 GT, added a K&N filter, and got the same or better horsepower gains than I would have gotten by spending $200 on a CAI with a conical filter. Whattya all think? I have no plans for a supercharger or any other mods in the near future so I'm thinking I can exceed the needed airflow by the filter alone.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new.php?partno=30-80179&filter&&brandID=60

• Sponsors (?)

I don't remember my 10 GT having a lag when I would floor it but I haven't driven it for a few months (I am deployed to Afghanistan). I was looking at Brenspeed's CAI/SCT combos and I thought they looked like they were worth the money. I plan on ordering one when I get back home. I think it should wake up the family car a little bit.

CAI netted 2 RWHP on mine...then the SCT tune netted an additional 12 RWHPto bring me to 281... I then installed BBK L/T, BBK Catted X-pipe, BBK 62mil T/B, UDP, and the ford hot rod cams bringing me to 316 RWHP. The S/C is ordered and will be in early next week. expecting to hit 475....Then ....well the engine is done...atleast til it pops and I replace the short block...LOL

hello, im new to the forums and have been lurking for a few weeks, as i just purchased a new 2010 mustang gt. i dont mean to hi jack the thread but i have a question somewhat related. i too plan on ordering the jlt intake/tuner combo from american muscle but was wondering if installing the parts myself would void my warranty. the dealer told me at the time of purchase that if i had them install any parts, they would still honor my warranty and cover them. im just curious because it would be a shame having to waste my time going down to the dealer to have them install something so simple and then have to pay labor fees as well. also, i too am curious as to why an aftermarket intake is better than going with a drop in filter, the stock setup seems like a true cold air to me. thanks, and sorry OP for the hi jack.

hello, im new to the forums and have been lurking for a few weeks, as i just purchased a new 2010 mustang gt. i dont mean to hi jack the thread but i have a question somewhat related. i too plan on ordering the jlt intake/tuner combo from american muscle but was wondering if installing the parts myself would void my warranty. the dealer told me at the time of purchase that if i had them install any parts, they would still honor my warranty and cover them. im just curious because it would be a shame having to waste my time going down to the dealer to have them install something so simple and then have to pay labor fees as well. also, i too am curious as to why an aftermarket intake is better than going with a drop in filter, the stock setup seems like a true cold air to me. thanks, and sorry OP for the hi jack.

Soooooo....I'm thinking of getting a SCT tuner and tuning my 2010 GT. The throttle lag seems severe at times (floor it and wait). I had questions though. Does anyone know exactly what the deal is with the adaptive knock calibration and how/if it's affected by flashing a custom tune? My understanding is that you can run 87 octane with no problems, but if you add 91 octane the computer will advance the spark and you'll have torque gains. Can the same be said for an 87 octane "flashed" tune?

My other thoughts are that the stock CAI looks pretty damned good. I mean, they already squeezed an extra 15 HP out of the engine; am I REALLY going to find a benefit to changing out the CAI with a JLT or C&L? Even looking at most of the C&L data, the real gains seem to come from the tune...with possibly small gains from the filter media. I pulled out my filter last weekend and it looks like a clever box design with a ram-air going to the grill. I've read conflicting reports (From CAI manufacturers) that it's not a true CAI, etc etc...but it seems common sense that the air directly imported from the front grill to a closed box is going to be colder than the ambient air under the hood that you get from every aftermarket CAI. I'm thinking of going with a dry filter from AFE. They claim 33% better flow from stock and it has a new design with more surface area than the paper flat (or K&N) filter.
I'm just flashing back to '91 when I pulled the air silencer out of my 1990 GT, added a K&N filter, and got the same or better horsepower gains than I would have gotten by spending $200 on a CAI with a conical filter. Whattya all think? I have no plans for a supercharger or any other mods in the near future so I'm thinking I can exceed the needed airflow by the filter alone.

Air Filters Direct Fit IRF Ford Mustang GT 2010 V8-4.6L 30-80179 - aFe Power

Is is more in the tune, BUT like sparta and most other people will tell you, going from stock to a JLT CAI and a tune it will have faster throttle response, more power, and a much more aggressive sound, louder than the "noise tube" inside the car, and it will sound great outside at WOT. All of my friends that have went JLT and matching tune have gotten substatial RWHP gains, sligtly more of a gain for the 05-09 cars, but all still were seeing in the about/approx neighborhood of 20 RWHP (93 tune w/ 93 or better fuel). Trust me, if you arent going F/I like was said already, do the JLT and SCT/Tune.. you wont regret it!!