245 50 16's too big for front?

rculjak

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2001
Hey guys, I just put on brand new 245 50 16's on my 91 pony rims and I am not too pleased, the cars steering wheel shakes and the gas millage is terrible, the balance was checked out to be good, what do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

Well it shouldn't actually shake, but it will pull you all over the road. In my opinion 245's are too big for the front, yes. It's possible that the tires are in balance but they may still be out of round and they're just trying to cover their ass......go back and ask about "out of round"

Stick with the 245!
I have 245 50 15 and they look awsome on my ten holes.
I do not have the problems that you mentioned above
They do rub when I make U turns but thats hardly ever.
Ask the people that installed the tires to road test the car with you.
I'm sure they could figure it out.

they are all over the road and bulge like hell on the ponies, it looks good on the back and I will keep the 245's on the back but for the front I will try to trade for 225 55's, also the gas millage went for the crapper with the only change being the 245's on the front.

You say the tires bulg out and it pulls like crazy.It sounds like to me that your tire pressure is too low.Don't always trust the people who are mounting your tires. I always check the pressure after new tires since one time they pumped my tires up to 70 psi. Van road like total ****. I thought I needed new shocks. I have 245 50 16 on my 91 and not a bit of problems.Although, they do tend to follow the rutts in the road. Also hope that they did not over torque your lugs and warp a rotor. By the way the pressure should be Around 32- 34. At least that's what I keep mine at.

you had 245's on the front and no problems? My pressure was good, the tires really bulge out and the cars steering wheel was shaking and vibrating pretty bad on the highway plus the car was really chewing up the gas.

When i had my pony rims i went from 225 to 245 tires and never had a problem. No shaking or gas mileage probs at all.

I now have 235's on my car and still no probs

Because i converted to 5-lug and went with a set of 17x8" rims and wanted to make sure i didn't rub too bad.

I never really rubbed too bad with the 245's on my 16" pony rims

I just put 245 50 16s all the way around on my 93 GT. Rides good no shakes or lower gas milage or anything like that. They do tend to follow some of the ruts in the road but not too bad. Had 245s all the way around on my 91 LX but the fronts rubbed the frame a little so at the next tire change went to 225s on the front and 245s on the back.

I'm runnin 245/50/16's in the front and 255/50/16's in the rear...seem to ride pretty nice with barely any rubbing, however has anyone else had tires this tall (50) effect their gearing?? a.k.a. I have 2.73 gearing, and 2nd gear goes to 85mph!! I suppose maybe there was trans work done I don't know about??

Na5.0HO said:
however has anyone else had tires this tall (50) effect their gearing?? a.k.a. I have 2.73 gearing, and 2nd gear goes to 85mph!! I suppose maybe there was trans work done I don't know about??

255/50/16's are pretty close to stock, maybe a tad shorter.

85MPH in 2nd gear with 2.73's sounds right about normal.

I think that the 225's on the front(245 on the rear)are fine. I have been running them for about 8 years now.I see guys with the 245 on the front and it just seems like a little too much tire. I have never driven one put I would think. Just my .02 worth.

i've got 245's all the way around on my 86 gt and they look just fine. My car is lowered 2 inches and they only rub if i'm on the brakes hard and corner, but I'm not doing that very often, so I stick with them so I can rotate them from back to front. as for the gas mileage I could see that being a tire pressure issue because I don't see how the tire could be hurting your gas mileage that bad, and that could also be why it pulls. If you don't like the way they look then change em man. It's all about personal preferance.

hey guys, I took the tires back, they rechecked the balance and it was of 50 on one side and 25 on the other, took it for a test ride on the highway and its all good, can you believe that, they cant even balance a tire, anyways about the gas millage, I had a check engine light come on and it shows 56 in continuous memory meaning mass air flow circuit so now I have to look into that so it must have caused the increase in gas guzzling, lol, thanks guys.