281 HP & Stuck -- Suggestions please ??

• Sponsors (?)

swingline said:
Go with an off-road pipe instead of the cats. Also what type of intake are you running? If you are still running the stock POS, a port-matched TrickFlow Street or Edelbrock Performer would get you there.

Hi,
Running a Cobra EFI Intake ported... so that won't do it. Want to stay legal so I will stay with the High Flow cats.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve

With all of the work you have put into that car I would get it tuned. You should be able to pull close to 20hp alone with the right chip. They will also be able to get rid of the tip in retards and lower the fan temps. I am going to get mine from JMS. The only other thing I would consider is going with a larger mass air meter; the Pro M 80mm flows like crazy and you have the heads to support it!

Just curious, how many rounds on the engine? Have you checked the compression lately?

final5-0 said:
Are you saying that cause our cars are 94-95, that is some kind of reason for us not to be able to hit the 300 RWHP mark?

Later
Grady
I didnt say " not able to", but Ive been on here for 2 years and have seen very few H/C/I setups topping 300 at the wheels. The foxes seem to Dyno that number a bit easier. But to reiterate, a 280HP car running 12.5's is more fun to drive than a 300HP car running mid-high 13's
RC

I agree about a good chip... Heck with my car i was able to get 208 rwhp out of it completely stock (107k miles) with a chip and have the dyno graphs on my website to prove it...

By the way how was your AFR when you got it tuned?

also who tuned your car? There are just some tuners out there that make even the somewhat expereinced guys look bad...

I know that my tuner has talked about Jerry from Ford Chip has come in and pulled another 30 more horse out of tunes that my tuner had done and was satisfied with... I guess when you design the software you should really know your stuff though... Personally i can't wait to get my car retuned by Jerry when he does another dyno day near where i live... Hoping to hit real close to 500...

moneypit94 said:
also who tuned your car? There are just some tuners out there that make even the somewhat expereinced guys look bad...

I know that my tuner has talked about Jerry from Ford Chip has come in and pulled another 30 more horse out of tunes that my tuner had done and was satisfied with... I guess when you design the software you should really know your stuff though... Personally i can't wait to get my car retuned by Jerry when he does another dyno day near where i live... Hoping to hit real close to 500...

Hi,
Pauls Automotive Engr. in Blue Ash, Ohio. Mike tuned the car, Seems to know what he is doing...... My youngest son Tom, is General Manager there. They do a lot of Mustang work. My son has over 500rwhp in his '95 Tuned there of course. Who knows how the tune is until someon else looks at it, pretty expensive shopping trip..
Thinking that a custom cam, might be the answer, now money and time come into play. Not totally dissatisfied, the car runs strong and is fun... Must have the power fever,,,
Steve

To me it sounds like a velocity issue since you already have relatively large heads to begin with and they have been "heavily" ported. You need to either start turning some more RPM's (which will be limited by the cobra intake) and put in a matching cam to take advantage of the head flow, or add some cubes to the thing, or up the compression a good bit. All three will do wonders and should wake the sleeping giant under your hood. SOmething is definitely up with your track times versus your dyno numbers though. JFYI- I was running 98.55mph with the stock heads and cam in my 'vert. I'd expect nothing less than 102-103 from your car on an average run.