331 or 347

jtb19nh

Jul 9, 2005
I am looking into getting a stroker kit this winter... which one should i go with. oviousley i want the bigger one, but i have hear the 331 will last longer and the 347 has oil issues... any opinions???

• Sponsors (?)

jtb19nh said:
I am looking into getting a stroker kit this winter... which one should i go with. oviousley i want the bigger one, but i have hear the 331 will last longer and the 347 has oil issues... any opinions???

347. The oil issues are bull crap.

The reason: Back in the day, you only had the 5.400 inch rod to use. This caused some RARE cases of oil consumption. Fast forward about 100 years and you now use a 5.315 inch rod which eliminates the issue by keeping the pin out of the oil control ring. In a naturally aspirated engine, go 347.

Using boost, and a stock block, there are definately some pros to the 331. But if you aren't boosting it, then there is no reason to go 331.

If you search, there is an abundance of this information.

Adam

i talked with my engine builder about this. he says the issue is not the oil, it is that the angle of the rods on the 347 are too steep and that causes extra wear on the side of the cylinder walls and the rings.

i believe and trust him because he has been building motors for 40 years.

Yea uhh huh

BlackVert said:
i talked with my engine builder about this. he says the issue is not the oil, it is that the angle of the rods on the 347 are too steep and that causes extra wear on the side of the cylinder walls and the rings.

i believe and trust him because he has been building motors for 40 years.

I also know MD's who have been Doctors for over 40 years who dont know basic medicine cause they dont keep up with the current research journals. So............:Zip2:

Both engines will burn more oil than a brand new stock stroke just naturally. More as in slightly and the difference between the 331 and 347 in that regard is nill. As for the rod ratio, I don't think that's really worth sweating over enough to pass up some extra cubes. Just go 347.

mustangt562 said:
I also know MD's who have been Doctors for over 40 years who dont know basic medicine cause they dont keep up with the current research journals. So............:Zip2:
so when someone says something that doesn't agree with your opinion, you accuse his info of being outdated and then tell him to stfu.

that is very mature and i'm sure your parents are very proud of you. you probably beat your girlfriend when she disagrees with you too.

jth, good luck with your build. i have said my piece and i am not going to argue with children. you can choose to believe whatever you want. i choose to believe my builder.

Black95GTS said:

The reason: Back in the day, you only had the 5.400 inch rod to use. This caused some RARE cases of oil consumption. Fast forward about 100 years and you now use a 5.315 inch rod which eliminates the issue by keeping the pin out of the oil control ring. In a naturally aspirated engine, go 347.

Using boost, and a stock block, there are definately some pros to the 331. But if you aren't boosting it, then there is no reason to go 331.

Adam
couldnt have said it any better myself.

ROFLOL

BlackVert said:
so when someone says something that doesn't agree with your opinion, you accuse his info of being outdated and then tell him to stfu.

that is very mature and i'm sure your parents are very proud of you. you probably beat your girlfriend when she disagrees with you too.

jth, good luck with your build. i have said my piece and i am not going to argue with children. you can choose to believe whatever you want. i choose to believe my builder.

LOL............As you can see more than a few others agree that your "engine builder" has outdated information. Keep up with the current info or better yet, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!! AND I DID NOT SAY TO YOU "stfu". Ohh and when does keeping up with current information make me a child or beat my girlfriend. IMHO it makes me a mature individual. What is childish is your attempt to establish credibility by stating "i believe and trust him because he has been building motors for 40 years." I was just refuting that childish argument. Look I could care less if your car is fast, slow, running, or sitting on your front lawn. I was just telling you a fact. I guess for you IGNORANCE is bliss. So drive slow and stay happy brother :nice:

imo, telling me to "Zip It!" is the same as saying STFU.

physics don't change my friend.

you do not know who my builder is, so you have no idea what his credentials are, or if he is out of date or not. but i guess that doesn't matter. you have already decided what you believe.

the fact that he has been building engines for longer than you have been alive gives his opinion MORE weight, not less.

and i guess that the folks taking the automotive engineering courses at the university of maryland are learning out of date stuff too, because he is a professor there.

and it probably doesn't matter that he has torn down and built more engines than you have ever put your hands on.

so please tell me why i should believe your opinion over his. i am all ears. i don't want to be ignorant any more.

the search button will return what people on this forum have said. that may or may not be accurate or up to date. you can believe what they say if you want, i will choose to read it knowing that it is the opinion of the people who posted, which is not necessarily based on completely accurate information.

after my 408 is installed (which he is building, by the way) i'll see you in my taillights.

jtb, sorry about letting this get into an argument. as you can tell, this is a controversial subject for folks. please try to take what you read here as opinions. when i was researching this topic, i found the most experienced person i could and talked to him. i choose to believe what he says before i will believe what people on this forum say. i would recommend that you find a builder you trust and follow his advice.

Personally. I agree that the 331 will outlast a 347. If I had the $$ I would be looking at either a 306 or a 331 because reliablitiy is everything to me as well.

Don't get me wrong the 347 is a great package, but I have read many things about the 347 stating to not go looking to get 100k miles out of one... If I ever put that kind of $$ out I better get 100k out of it.

mustangt562 said:
What happened to that statement? :bs: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :Zip2: :bs:
that was probably uncalled for. for some reason, doubting the creditability of my "engine builder" remided me of my children (14 and 16), who refuse to believe what i tell them even though i have lived alot longer than they have and know alot more about life than they do.

normally i don't let myself get into this kind of bickering. i don't know why, but you pushed a button. maybe i'm not getting enough sleep or something.

let's put this behind us, ok?

why is it that every time i stumble across a 331 vs. 347 thread there is a hostile all out argument going on? this is half the reason one of these threads pops up once a week. im certain people are searching and finding countless threads on the topic, but instead of comprehensive helpful information, they find a pointless argument full of extremely biased opinions and name calling. c'mon guys, this crap is getting old.

Black95GTS said:

Adam

What's your opinion if it was a 125 shot? Just curious.:D

Green 94 5.0 said:
why is it that every time i stumble across a 331 vs. 347 thread there is a hostile all out argument going on? this is half the reason one of these threads pops up once a week. im certain people are searching and finding countless threads on the topic, but instead of comprehensive helpful information, they find a pointless argument full of extremely biased opinions and name calling. c'mon guys, this crap is getting old.

This is really true. It's kind of like a Ford guy and a Chevy guy arguing about which company is better.