5.0 Swap 92 Notch 2.3

• Sponsors (?)

My $800 parts car im picking up Wednesday. A 1990 Lincoln Mark VII with a 5.0 HO.

5Nc5G75J13Lf3J33Ndc2923fcb2e0192f1054.jpg

5Na5G85K93K53Md3Hec294defcaafed2f1bfd.jpg

5Kf5Fc5M93G33N73H3c29e985c0a400c81afd.jpg

5K15F25M13n63Le3J7c2904c29990ed421c90.jpg

I believe this car has a 8.8 rear end but it is a tad bit longer then the foxs. I think it only stick out like half a inch on each side so itll match my front SN95 5 lug spindles. I have a question about my options for a transmission though...I have a factory 4 cylinder T5 in my car right now. I know the bellhousing are different, but most people are telling me the 4cylinder family t5 wont last long behind the 5.0 so what are my options? I know the best bet is to find a t5 from a 5.0 gt but no luck with finding one in my area. I know the 94-95 5.0 t5 you have the cut either your driveshaft or either change the pilot bearing and all that, sounds like more trouble then thats worth. What other options do I have?

Got my swap car, 90 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5.0 HO $700 105k miles

Bought it got it home backed it up to where it sits now and let it run for about 5 mins. Started smoking, thought it was just the busted brake booster leaking on the headers, i was wrong :( Busted valve cover.

DSCN0325-1.jpg

DSCN0326.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0329.jpg

DSCN0328.jpg

DSCN0330.jpg

Im not sure what else i can use from it other then the motor, rear end, wiring, and computer...I dont want the transmission because its automatic, mine used to be but i converted it to a 5speed last year. Everything on it suspension wise I dont really need...I already have a 5lug conversion with sn95 spindles, brakes, and rotors...bronco 2 axles. Have a spare set of v8 springs laying around already. Have a sn95 drive shaft...

I plan on making it maf, maybe not right off but itll definitely be in the near future after everythings in my car.

What I got done today. Not bad for just me working alone for a couple hours, got the computer out, passenger side wiring harness out, motors completely unbolted from transmission and k member. Its just chilling there till I pull it out tomorrow :) Took about 50 pics of wires just so ill remember where they went lol

DSCN0392.jpg

DSCN0391.jpg

DSCN0390.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg

...pretty sure you can use the rear axle-it should be an 8.8" same as in a Turbo Coupe...only with highway gears. And you'd get rear discs and a slightly wider rear track to boot. I had to reread what all was done to your car-forgot it was already converted to 5 lug with SN95 front spindles. But, if you don't have an 8.8 already...there ya go.

Oh yea I plan on using the 8.8 but the axles that are in it stick out further then the mustangs do...the actual rear end is same length but the axles are longer and im not sure if the 5 lug axles that are in my 7.5 will fit and be thick enough for the 8.8. If I just stick the rear end under mine how it is now im worried that with my car being lowered every time i hit a bump the rear wheels are gonna be pushed up and rub against the lip of the rear fender wells

Yes-I was aware of the length difference-should be .75" wider on each side for a total track width increase of 1.5"...the brakes are the same as the 84-86 SVO. I'm pretty sure this exact swap (or sister turbo coupe swap) has been performed without incident about a thousand times. If you are that concerned about it though, yes, your axles would fit just fine. The spline count and diameter are the same, and the length is appropriate. The only thing is you'd either have to carry over your old drum stuff or flip the disc brackets on your new one and that would defeat the purpose of having the new rear end in the first place since it's a complete unit. Do a couple looks around and see what wheels people are running with that axle...if it's that close you could roll the lips...MadMike just did that here recently, he could explain it to you better than I could, and if memory serves, he did his on a new paint job without damaging the finish.

Went to lkq in search for a valve cover. Came back with

$10
DSCN0405.jpg

I already have one of these on my car $10
DSCN0406.jpg

Not bad for $30, better then the $180 price on ebay
DSCN0407.jpg

Im worried about the valve cover clearance tho...

DSCN0404.jpg

DSCN0403.jpg

DSCN0402.jpg

Mine are like bigger thicker aluminum and the ones i got off the v8 thunderbird are smaller thinner steel i believe, there not as deep as the aluminum ones and im worried about the rockerarms hitting...they fit with no problem tho...