'65-'66 with 16x8 wheels - tire size question

Loup-garou

Founding Member
Aug 11, 2001
New Orleans, LA
First off, yes, I've checked the wheel & tire chart.

I bought a set of V45 wheels from a neighbor - he had them on an old F-100 and wanted wheels that had a higher "bling" factor. According to the chart, the preferred size for the front wheels is a 215/50/16 - but I've discovered that is a rather unusual tire size. The local tire dealers list only about three performance tires in that size.

In the current issue of Mustang & Fords magazine, a '65 Fastback is pictured with TTII rims and 225/50/16 tires. The tires looked like a good fit, and there are more selections in that size.

How about it guys, has anyone run 225/50 tires on the front of a '65/'66 with 16" rims? If so, was there any fenderwell interference?

My suspension mods are not radical - just a Shelby "drop" with Pro-Motorsports progressive-rate springs. The front of the car might be a half-inch lower than stock.

Your comments and advice willl be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I have TTII rims and 225/50/16 rubber and I can tell you they didn't fit on my 2" lowered 65 Fastback.

I pased the car onto my body man and said make them fit!

Now they do.

I think 225/50/16 will fit, only if you've done the Shelby drop. I have 225/50/15's on my '65 with no problems.

Also, keep in mind that some brake kits will push the wheel mounting point further outboard.

Tim

I got 245 40 17 to fit up front with 4.75 BS and 225 50 15 with 3in BS on a 2 in lowered front and 1.5in shelby drop. Had to roll the fender lip tight but it all fit without rubbing.

JPONY645 said:
Have you tried them on your car yet? If these wheels were on an F100 truck then more than likely they aren't going to fit your Mustang anyway unless he had different suspension. The bolt patterns are going to be different.

Yep, I was sure they'd fit - he has a Versailles rear axle and a Mustang II front suspension setup - not sure which hubs those are on the front, but the wheels are definitely Ford passenger car 5 bolt - 4.5" pattern.

On a similar topic, American Racing is really annoying. They have a few new RWD wheel offerings - but mostly those are aimed at the truck enthusiasts. One such wheel looks like an updated version of the old aluminum "slot" mags, and is available in 15x8 and 16x8 sizes. Even the backspacing looks good - but there's no standard Ford 5-bolt pattern offered. There's a funky 5-bolt metric pattern, but nothing that'll fit our Fords. :mad:

I run 16" rims on my 66, the fronts will require some minor clearancing just to fit the rims. this has to do with the positioning of the upper control arm inside the wheel, a 15" or smaller rim will clear inside the control arm and spindle and a 17" or larger rim will clear outside the control arm lip. but a 16" rim, at least all that i've seen will interfere with stock type control arm and require slight notching. i actually notched my lower control arm edges then ended up replacing the lower control arms and complete suspension, and the reproduction lower control arm replacements were already clearanced in the problem area enough to clear the 16" rim's inner lip. i run 225/50/16 in front and a 235/55/16 in back, you'll definitely want to roll the fender lips.

It looks like I'm good to go, then... the control arms are recent replacements which are already notched, and the previous owner did a neat job of rolling the fender lip. I just know that I'm gonna be wanting a power rack & pinion setup next, with all that extra rubber on the road!