A/Cs and other things

ironheart1

Mar 13, 2004
Connecticut
Ok, a couple questions for those of you who have had experience with these cars. I'm still working on having a good working knowledge of the ins and outs, hence these questions.

When I went to order a serpentine belt for my '88 GT, there was an option on the shop's list for Mustangs without A/C. Could I buy this belt and simply not hook up my A/C for improved power?

Also, a bit of a noob question here. What are people specifically referring to when they say h/c/i? Not familiar with that term.

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

im not sure if the ac compressor would get in the way of the belt...but you can buy an ac delete plate that moves the power steering pump up to where the ac compressor is...like on non ac cars....and that belt would work. the piece is only like 45 bucks i think. as for the h/c/i it stands for heads/cam/intake.

ironheart1 said:
When I went to order a serpentine belt for my '88 GT, there was an option on the shop's list for Mustangs without A/C. Could I buy this belt and simply not hook up my A/C for improved power?

Well two things.

First, Mustangs than come with no A/C have the PS pump relocated higher so the belt will clear fine. There is just no way to route the belt to skip the A/C pulley.

Secondly, the A/C pulley freewheels when not in use. There is 0 HP lost when not using the A/C. Even when you floor it with the A/C on, the WOT relay will shut the A/C off. Take the belt off and spin the a/c pulley. Take little effort.

The only waiy to gain anything is to REMOVE the A/C. To do this, you buy the FMS A/C delete kit for $45 and that belt and you can shave 35pound off the nose of your car