advise needed on 67 fastback S code 390GTA dark moss green

brennan carey

Dec 13, 2004
This 390 fastbackwill be my 2nd project with the first being a 67 coupe "restomod" with a 302 being my "initiation" into the world of mustangs.

So what I am wanting to know is what should be done to the fastback? ie Do i aim to keep it standard/orginal or should i restomod it? The car will need a ground up restoration with it currently been completely stripped and majority of parts will need to be repaired or replaced. Is repoduction parts suitable if I am looking to achieve a "concours restored" mustang? My thinking is to get the best resale value on the car IF i ever need to sell it. Money is not a problem to spend on the restoration but obviously I dont want to spend money and "over captalise" on the project.

How collectable is this car?

• Sponsors (?)

ok so you are saying i should leave it stock. thats fine as i have a 67 coupe which i have restomod'd. keeping the 390 GTA standard sounds good to me.

So how much should/can I spend on it to get it completely restored to concours? (Body is good but everything else needs to be completely redone)

I think the Martini report states there was only 4500 odd 67 fastbacks with S code 390 GTA's C6 made. I could be wrong. I guess the other point is what could I get for such a car once restored 100% to top condition?

Man, I feel your pain! I am restoring/restomodding a 1967 mustang fastback, dark moss green, 4speed, s-code car, and debated long and hard as to how much I was going to deviate from the original. Finally I decided that because I no longer have the original engine, I would put a big block back in it, keep close to the same color, and make some minor body mods along the way (welded in subframe connectors) and pretty much just make the car fun to drive, as i dont think i will ever sell her anyway!

yeah, I have the 390 motor but how do i tell if its the orginal engine for my body? I assume the engine number (where do you find it on a 390 anyhow?) and VIN must tie up somehow? I really cant figure this out..

Actually, it can be kind of difficult to tie the original 390 to the car, as Ford didn't change part numbers on engine parts until production line changes. I had a 69 Cougar Eliminator that had the original 390, and the intake had a 66 ford part number on it.

I think that is why you rarely see "numbers matching" in descriptions of Ford musclecars for sale, like you do with the GM products.

You'll have to look at the date code on the engine block, heads, and intake to see if it could be the original motor. There was a recent discussion on the FordFE.com board about this very thing, there are some guys over there that worked at Ford, in the appropriate departments during the lates 60's and one of them said that there was some sort of strike in late '67 and that a date code from August could be appropriate for a December car if I remember correctly. Usually about 6-8 weeks is about as far out as you want to get. About the only cars that got specific were Shelby's and some SCJ and CJ cars, they typically got a partial vin stamped in the block near the head mating surface at the rear of the block.

ok, so if i start with the known facts from the VIN I should be able to work out what the engine should be and I can then search for those date codes on the engine block, heads, and intake correct?

VIN decoder from door and inner frt fendor info tells me:
year Model is 1967
Engine 390- 4v
Built in : Dearborn MI
Scheduled assembly 20 Dec 1966.

So in my mind the engine castings SHOULD ref a 66 motor which is casting begining with C6 ? would there be a casting for the month of manufacture, surely not?

Is there no consecutive number as on the VIN that ties up with an engine stamping? I mean if I have a car built in dec 66 and a motor casting that is ref to 1966 is that good enough for a numbers matching car that i can restore and spend 40K on it and if the need be get the $$$ back someday?

Restore it. I bought an old race car that someone had tubbed. I have been trying to put as much back original as I can. So when I get tired of racing it I can have the cage and tubes taken out and it wont be to bad to finish it out. Check the link for photo's of some of the work. I can tell you so far I have spent about 18k in parts not counting what I gave for the car. I still have to get paint work done. :D