Aluminum Driveshaft???

joshheat25

Nov 8, 2004
Delaware
I was debating on getting an aluminum driveshaft and maybe new U joints. I had 4.10's installed a year ago and ever since then I've had alot of vibration when traveling above 70. Just wondering if an aluminum would take out all of that vibration. and also if an aluminum driveshaft is lighter. therefore less rotational mass. I would assume you'd transfer more power maybe 1 horse haha. Just wondering who has them and wheres the cheapest place to buy. Thanx

Josh

• Sponsors (?)

you probably wont see a hp increase but yes it is lighter and people have used them to reduce vibration and it does usually work. You'll notice some better throttle response MAYBE but nothing substantial. I've gotten some warning from shops about all. drive shafts but have yet to see evidence.

If they took the driveshaft out, they probably didn't mark the orientation and put it back on wrong... so now it's out of balance. Yes you can remove the dogbone but I thought that was just to shave off weight, not fix vibration problems from installing new gears

go carbon :nice:
http://www.pstds.com/carbonfiber.htm

Advantages of Carbon Fiber

* Lighter than steel or aluminum.
* Three times torsional strength of steel.
* Torsional spring rate allows better tire hook-up.
* Torsional spring rate allows smoother shifting.
* Less shock load to the differential.
* Eliminates or dampens high speed vibrations.
* Reduces transmission and differential breakage.
* Characteristics can be varied by changing the wind, angles or diameter. PST offers both steel and 7075 Billet Aluminum yokes.
* In drag racing applications - a better 60 Ft. time.
* ET's have been lowered in some cases by as much as .120.
* In stock car racing better control out of corners is the result of the torsional spring rate.
* In road racing smoother shifting and better durability of transmission and differential have been reported.
* Tested on Cobra's at 180 MPH on Dyno with no vibrations.
* A much greater safety factor - carbon fiber will return to a fiber and not create shrapnel under the car, as would aluminum or steel shafts.

if i was going to get a new DS, carbon seems the way to go

joshheat25 said:
dude the carbon fiber is FN 600 dollars! wayy out of the price range I thought the aluminum one was like 200?? and yea I am 100% positive it's my drivshaft thats causing vibrations!

Honestly, i've never heard of driveshaft go out of balance in our car.
Thats big issue with 4th gen F-bodys.

That does not mean it doesn't happene tho

Befor you go dropp $250 on new aluminum driveshaft and what not, I would do the following.

Check and make sure that frange at the pinion yoke is torqued evenly. If this is not evenly tigtened, that'll cause a vibrations. all you need is small piece of rust or sand stuck between those connection for it to not torque down evenly.
u had ring and pinion installed. safe to assume that driveshaft was off the car. and around axle is usually pretty rusty, and covered in dirt and stuff. it could very well be
Also, prolly not case with you, but
Make sure that U-joint is situated in dead center.

When i got my shaft used, it didn't come with yoke. so i had to transfar my yoke off of steel shaft. and boy it vibrated.

turned out that my U joint was not pushed in all the way(in our car, there is a clip that prevents u-joint from moving around. that clip did fit nicely on one side. but was really tight to clip it back on on the other side)
It was off of center may be by the thickness of credit card or so, and that was enugh to cause nasty vibration.

If u check above, and thats okay, then pay someone 20bucks to get it balanced.
If that fix the vibration, then ya shaft was out of balance.

I mean thats just suggestion - But i bet anything if you get new aluminum shaft, it won't fix it.
it might. But why take a chance with expensive option first?? do free check, and cheap fix first.

And can someone validate the crame of dog bone not being needed with 4.10?

It is a good addition to save weight,i noticed that the engine did spin faster do to the lightness in the driveshaft,and will help with the vibrations.As for u joints,the aluminum driveshaft comes with u joints already installed,my ford racing one did.:nice:
And the dogbone hangging off the rear,ditch it,no good since your stock gears are gone. :)

Mity its very common for people to swap gears and get vibration. Dunno if that counts as out of balance or not? Its almost always fixed witht he driveshaft.