Progress Thread Amy's 83 Capri 5.0

amy83capri

Aug 22, 2016
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
hey everyone my name is Amy and I just purchased a 83 Capri 5.0 I'm not if its an rs model or not but the vin comes back to a factory 5.0 5 speed I am planning on going back to stock with mild motor upgrades it already has a full 3' bkk exhaust and headers on it with Oil cooler.
So far I have removed the interior minus the dash.

Reactions: 5 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Looks really nice Amy. Capris are very cool cars.

So what are the plans then. You say you have the interior removed? Are you planning to install new carpet and other things? The seats look like they're in good shape.

Ah, yes. I had a girlfriend back in the 80s that had a blue one with the bubble hatch like that. Memories..You don't see them often these days. Great find!

Reactions: 1 user
I do plan on putting in new red carpet ,the hole interior from the factory was red and the owner before me sprayed everything black with vinyl paint and they did the carpet too but that's in the trash right now. I have to have another floor put in. there were some bad repairs done on the sun roof and parts of the floor I could not see when I bought the car. What I did know is that the front frame rails need to be replaced. If anyone knows a good shop near me in Belleville Michigan that could do the frame rails and floor please let me know
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Aaach! They dyed the carpet! Yuck!

Can you post a couple pictures of the worst part of the frame rails? I'd be interested in seeing it.

I've worked in a body shop since the late seventies and I really dig helping people out with what I'm good at.

Michigan, huh? Code for lots of salt on the road in the winter, never a good thing for the metal on a car.

This is the driver side frame rail where the sway bar link is.
image.jpeg
Oh yeah, that could be a little problematic, huh?

It takes a bit of work to fix something like that, but it can be done. Be ready for what it takes though. The engine will have to come out.

Are you going to do some of the work to try making the repair cheaper? I don't know how much of a do it yourselfer you are. It can really save you a bunch if you are willing to do some (or all) of it yourself.

I do plan on putting in new red carpet ,the hole interior from the factory was red and the owner before me sprayed everything black with vinyl paint and they did the carpet too but that's in the trash right now. I have to have another floor put in. there were some bad repairs done on the sun roof and parts of the floor I could not see when I bought the car. What I did know is that the front frame rails need to be replaced. If anyone knows a good shop near me in Belleville Michigan that could do the frame rails and floor please let me know
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Dyed carpet!!! I see the concern. Replace with lmr matte backed and you will be fine

Reactions: 1 users
I would love to do the sheet metal my self but I don't have a welder or the tools to do it. I have most of the tools in my small shop to do most of the resto. Myself. That's why I'm looking for a local shop or good welder to help out.
Do the floors and frame rails have to be done at the same time or can I get the floor done and then the rails

You can do them separate, but I'd address the rails first. Unless those are fixed well, and completely, the entire car may be scrap really. I'd focus on this as top priority even ahead of investing money into anything else.

Strip everything out, label and take pics, and tow it to a body shop and just have them fix it all at once.

At that point, you are well on your way to a full restoration anyway. Welcome to the hobby....enjoy! [emoji2]

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
And just an fwiw...bring some bags of $$. That's not going to be a cheap project. Not trying to be negative. Car is a good project and it's great to see someone trying to save a fox body from a visit to the crusher. Best of luck and welcome to Stangnet

Thanks for the info everyone. I know that this is going to be a long term project, and I am prepared for some hard work and shedding out some money. I think I would have passed on this car if it where just a 83 mustang, But you don't just find a 5.0 Capri every day. I know I can get a floor from a few different places , but we're can I get the front frame rails?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the info everyone. I know that this is going to be a long term project, and I am prepared for some hard work and shedding out some money. I think I would have passed on this car if it where just a 83 mustang, But you don't just find a 5.0 Capri every day. I know I can get a floor from a few different places , but we're can I get the front frame rails?
Late Model Restoration.https://lmr.com/Product/Search?q=frame rails&vehicle=1979-93-Mustang

Nothing wrong with an '83 mustang!;)
image.jpeg

My blue hunk-a-turd that I'm just getting started on.