Any opinions on MAC intake/exhaust?

Any of you guys have opinions or experience with MAC cold airs or exhausts. Shopping around for 03 Cobra.http://www.macperformance.com/store/product1.cfm?SID=3&Product_ID=227 ..the prices are good, what about quality/performance? I noticed their cold air is a fenderwell mount with a bend in the intake tube...is that a problem? I noticed that most kits have the filter bolted right up to the MAF. The RedSquad thanks you.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a friend in Cali that has a full mac exhaust on his 98 Gt. He is very disappointed with their headers, as far as his pro chamber and his catback he is very happy, I like the sound. I personally don't like mac, I had a pretty bad experiance with them. Back when I lived in San Diego and Had my 02 lightning, I drove up to Mac in Temecula, Ca (about an hour from San Diego)
to get a catback for my truck. At that time they did'nt have a catback for lightnings, so they cut me a deal. They would keep my truck for a few days and build a jig from my stock exhaust and hook me up with a new mac catback. :p To make a long story short, they gave me the run around and I never got My free exhaust, so F*%k Mac :mad: IMHO. Oh, and their cold air intakes get to hot, ask around in here, they'll tell you the same. Mac exhaust sounds good, but quality may be lacking.

My friend has the Mac 3inch catback on his 03 and he loves it. It sounds very good and deep. Their coldair kits suck and not in a good way. Mine rusted on me on my 96 Cobra. I would stay away from the fenderwell kits!

my roomate has MAC 3 inch catback on his 95 GT and it sounds crazy. he hasn't had any problem with rust, early signs but it doesn't rain here much so go with the stainless catback. as far as the intake goes i would stay away, you will get bigger increases with something that has less bends. just rememeber that for every 90 degree bend in the pipe, flow velocity is almost cut in half. look for a straight intake like the JLP or steeda.

I'd look into the K&N FIPK Gen II if I were you. Guys are finding great gains with them. I just got mine in the mail today and the filter on it is HUGE!!! It's a nice looking unit and so simple. Avoid any metal CAI and those with the bend in them. I had a MAC CAI on my GT and it made my car lose 20HP due to the bend. It also got hot and rusted. I had a prochamber on my GT and loved the sound. The fit and finish were pretty suspect. I think MAC overall is pretty cheap stuff. The K&N got through Summit was also only $170.

Lance

RedSquad7 said:
Thanks Lance. I'm gonna check Summits now...I also looked at Densecharger. Awesome looking kit! Again it has the bend, but they post solid looking dyno results on the website.http://www.densecharger.com

I had both the 1st generation DC & the 2nd generation DC. Both were good units that provided great gains. I eventually went with the K&N FIPK because it makes the same amount of HP, but is easier to service.....

Last but not least, it has the "Magical Velocity Doughnut"!
homer1.jpeg

U.M.