Anybody thought about running (or is currently running) E85

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
I am starting to consider it. I've looked into the pro's (105 octane, cooler running engine, 10-20% more torque) and cons ( limited availability, higher rate of consumption, more frequent oil changes)

My main reason for considering it is the cooling effect, and the free torque. As adding the A/C system will inevitably add heat, the fact that just running E85 as a fuel will supplement the cooling system is a big plus for me.
I haven't seen anybody comment on using it, so I don't really expect too many replies, but I've checked it out, my fuel pump is rated for E85, I have an aluminum line, so the only thing I need to add is the 800.00 carb.

• Sponsors (?)

I've thought about it a few times since I'm building up a turbo setup-biggest problem for me is availability. The increased rate of consumption isn't as big a deal to me since I'll have other vehicles to drive, and more frequent oil changes, yeah well...it is what it is. When I drove the car, it received regular oil changes every 3 months or 3k miles anyway (more likely to hit time before mileage for me). So, unless I'd need to change it more frequently, I really don't see that as much of a problem either. Then, comes availability...I believe the nearest E85 distributor is 2 hours away...so that's kinda silly to me unless I'm buying it in some serious bulk-like a drum or two at a time.

I've thought about it a few times since I'm building up a turbo setup-biggest problem for me is availability. The increased rate of consumption isn't as big a deal to me since I'll have other vehicles to drive, and more frequent oil changes, yeah well...it is what it is. When I drove the car, it received regular oil changes every 3 months or 3k miles anyway (more likely to hit time before mileage for me). So, unless I'd need to change it more frequently, I really don't see that as much of a problem either. Then, comes availability...I believe the nearest E85 distributor is 2 hours away...so that's kinda silly to me unless I'm buying it in some serious bulk-like a drum or two at a time.

There are several E85 stations in Birmingham (several meaning 4-5) As much driving as the car currently gets, going to one of those stations on purpose to fill my homemade 16 gal tank is not a problem. I've even checked the route to myrtle beach to be sure I wouldn't run out of gas on mustang week, and there are adequate suppliers along the route. But that is the one drawback though,...having to plan your stops based on where these Oasis's of E85 are in the desert of regular gas stations might be more trouble than what it's worth.

wouldnt mess with it unless you have a car with a power adder. especially because your car is not a daily driver and will be doing some sitting between drives.

If your dying to do something, see if you can mold a fox body onto an SRT-4 and really blow some minds

wouldnt mess with it unless you have a car with a power adder. especially because your car is not a daily driver and will be doing some sitting between drives.

If your dying to do something, see if you can mold a fox body onto an SRT-4 and really blow some minds

I'm not just looking to do it just because,..... And I hear what you're saying w/ regard to it not getting driven regularly, but it still sees the road 3 times a week. The car has a 180 degree T stat in it, and it currently runs at 180 degrees. But it hasn't seen a mid july day yet, sitting in traffic in front of 1000 other mustangs and spectators, with the A/C running. The radiator that's on it is a two row alum piece that measures 19 x 28 and has a shrouded flex a lite cooling fan keeping it cool, but there is no A/C condenser in front of it yet.

I just liked the fact that I could change the fuel over, and pick up power and additional cooling as a positive side effect.

Eh, i'd consider it if i were running high compression, but the lack of availability and the possibility that it could get worse before it gets better is enough for me to stick with good old petrol. Besides, 93 octane works well enough.

There are several E85 stations in Birmingham (several meaning 4-5) As much driving as the car currently gets, going to one of those stations on purpose to fill my homemade 16 gal tank is not a problem. I've even checked the route to myrtle beach to be sure I wouldn't run out of gas on mustang week, and there are adequate suppliers along the route. But that is the one drawback though,...having to plan your stops based on where these Oasis's of E85 are in the desert of regular gas stations might be more trouble than what it's worth.

Man, that would be nice to have 4 or 5 stations in my near vicinity. I think we *might* have that many stations in town that serve 93 octane gas; everything else is 91. If there were a few around here and en route down to my Dad's place, then I would likely think a little harder on the bigger injectors and replumbing requirements.

Chris (4Jenna) is running E85 with his 95GT Turbo making 777HP and just ran a 146.6MPH in the 1/4. He's got a thread in 94-95 Section called "Ran the car". So there are some benefits obviously for Forced Induction.

Just don't get E85 on the clear coat. I over filled my Flex Fuel Dodge RAM and the E85 made run lines on the clear coat.

I've thought about it but I'd be Leary of running it on the edge because of of rumors of the tolerance between batch. I'd be all for a home brew E85

I gave it very serious consideration since I have a supercharged combo, but after looking into availability, it was not worth the headache. If I filled up at the closest station, by the time i got home I would have to turn around and go fill up again. Then there is the inconsistency of the E-85 from one place to another. There are no standards on what E-85 should actually be. I was involved with a Hydroplane boat for a while that was going to use 3 E-85 fueled EFI supercharged 426 Hemi's, but the amount of fuel needed to run an event and then transport that same amount of fuel to the next event was just to prohibitive, all because the fuel was to dissimilar from one race venue to another. The tune would be so out of wack if trying to use "local' E-85"and then use E-85 from somewhere else. The stuff you could get in the Seattle area is different than the stuff you get in California or Milwaukee WI. ect. It is a logistical nightmare.
On my friends drag car we just said screw it and went with C-16, simply because VP C-16 (or Trick C-16) is the same no matter where you buy it. The tune never changes because of fuel. We ran pump gas for a long time but got tired of chasing the tune from one tank of fuel to the next.

Somewhat off topic, but Mike, you mentioned that you have aluminum fuel lines. Did you run something like a 1/2" line the length of the underside of the car? I've considered aluminum lines over braided ones for my setup. Been weighing the pros and cons.

So, I looked again to see where the nearest E85 station is, and not counting the gov one on base at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, I'd have to drive 145 miles just to get the fuel. And something tells me they might not be too keen on me filling up drums from the pump :oops:

Mike, have you considered water/methanol injection? It cools the air intake charge significantly. The technology has come a long way, and it's worth looking into. I'm more than likely insulting your intelligence by suggesting something you know even more than I do about, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyhow.

Somewhat off topic, but Mike, you mentioned that you have aluminum fuel lines. Did you run something like a 1/2" line the length of the underside of the car? I've considered aluminum lines over braided ones for my setup. Been weighing the pros and cons.

I ran 3/8" line from front to back under the car, as I did not need the volume a dash 8 line would move. I always have used alum hard line though, and had this been a high horsepower engine, I would've ran 1/2" instead .
I've had friends that have invested in standard braided line (front to back) only to have to remove it when it started leaking because some additive in the high octane race gas ate the rubber inside.