automatics slower than 5 speed?

tboshearz

Feb 2, 2004
for some reason my posts won't stay.... but ill try again... are the automatic 5.0's considerably slower than the 5 speeds? Im thinking about buying a 91 5.0 GT hatchback...and it's automatic... just wondering if they have the same potential or what I would need to make it as quick as the 5 speeds if that is indeed the case....

any insight is greatly appreciated...

Thanks, Tyler

• Sponsors (?)

Yup, 5 speed are faster than automatics, very noticabaly. One thing you should realize when it comes to foxes, they are very easy to find right now, so dont jump on one if it isn't exactly what you want, there may be another right around the corner.

Depends on if the guy in the 5spd can drive or not. Ive raced several 5spd cars with a stock AOD and beatem by 2 or 3 cars. They start off jumping me out of the hole, but each time they shift they fall back about a half car, and if they miss a gear its over. Ive never missed a gear with my AOD. Now Im not saying nobody can drive, Im just saying for your average goon in a stock 5.0 5spd, you shouldnt have a problem. After I got a Lentech, I dont worry either.

Josh

HyPer-50 said:
Yup, 5 speed are faster than automatics, very noticabaly. One thing you should realize when it comes to foxes, they are very easy to find right now, so dont jump on one if it isn't exactly what you want, there may be another right around the corner.

Really? In good shape...I had to drive almost 200 miles to get both of mine...where do you find them?

In Georgia there are tons of foxes in good shape. I'm just sayin', dont waste your money on somethin' that you really dont want. Plenty of good deals to be found out there, and plenty of 5 speed GT's in good shape if ya take the time to look.

I bought my 93 aod 5 months ago.Ive put a high speed stall,shift kit,and 373's gears in. ( I will have 410's next wed.). My motor is almost stock.(cai,and headers).When it was stock a 5spd would woop my @ss. But now I think its the other way around :nice: As long as the 5spd's motor is stock!I havent been to the track yet, I got in one race.It was on a road that was full of traffic lights,as I was taking off from a light, and the guy next to me nails it,( It was a Mercedes C500 sedan) so naturally I nail it,I began to pass him slowly then he had to slow down because he had a car in front of him.That was before I got my gears!! So dont pass on the aod's,they have nice potentcial :nice:

HyPer-50 said:
In Georgia there are tons of foxes in good shape. I'm just sayin', dont waste your money on somethin' that you really dont want. Plenty of good deals to be found out there, and plenty of 5 speed GT's in good shape if ya take the time to look.

Dang...do you guys get snow in Georgia?...It is so hard to find a nice stang in Chicago land area without paying too much for it.