Coil over performance and prices

68conv4sp

Oct 24, 2005
I will shortly order a coil over set up for my 68 vert. I want to upgrade the worn out front suspension to get a more predictable ride, eliminate bump steer, adjust ride height, etc. I am looking at Global West, TCP, and Ron Morris ($2500-$3000). In the current economic environment, they all say they can drop from their list prices. I have not pinned anyone down on price until I decide which brand to buy.

Which do you recommend based on your experience and what competitive prices have you heard about? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

i like both the TCP and GW kits myself, though i will probably end up with a custom coilover based on Opentracker's roller pieces and TCP coilover assemblies up front with a TCP G-Bar out back. one thing i do really like about the TCP coilovers is their new dropped UCA shafts, that way you don't have to drill your shock towers to get the "shelby" or Arning drop effect and the better geometry that goes along with it. I also like the TCP strut rods better than just about anything else on the market too.

that said the GW system is still pretty impressive with it's billet upper mounts and I've always liked the GW Del-Alum bushings that they use too. i honestly think that between the TCP and GW systems it would come down to who will give you the better price.

i'm not all that impressed with the RM system, though. you can get basically everything (save maybe the upper control arms) in that kit from Afco or other stock car suppliers and only need slight mods to make the same thing RM sells for a whole lot less money.

on that note there are a couple of other systems you should check out too.

this system would be pretty cool with a set of coilovers instead of the bags

Ford Mustang 67-70 Shockwaves Front w/ Upper and Lower StrongArms: Air Ride Technologies - Ridetech.com

this is a really nice system as well, it would be especially cool with a set of coilovers installed. in fact i have been seriously considering using this kit instead of the custom coilover but i keep changing my mind and i always end up back at lthe Opentracker roller system with custom coilovers

Disc Brake, Steering and Suspension Products for classic Chevy and Ford cars and trucks

I agree that the TCP drop shafts are a smart feature. That alone might make the decision. The prices of these systems still amaze me. The engineering costs are long ago amortized but the competition seems to have colluded on price point.

Just to throw another hat in the ring...

TCP Bolt-On Coil-Over (for use with OEM or aftermarket control arms)
Technical Data Sheet (789KB - PDF)
Installation Instructions

VAS_86M11F2_OEMarm_ID.jpg

For comparison:
TCP Front Coil-Over Conversion (Most other coil-over systems are configured similar to this original TCP design.)
Technical Data Sheet (1.48MB - PDF)
Installation Instructions

FCOC-FD_front_dropped_ID.jpg

i just received my GW kit for my 70 mustang. They have just recently changed their upper shock mount design from the one that is depicted on their website. It does not look like the billet cone. It is now black and much shorter. This allows for more suspension travel and they are also sending them with new qa1's to fit accordingly. about 98% complete with the install and i'm very happy so far. tech support was helpful, just make sure you get the new directions/pictures, as that caused a bit of confusion for me.

I agree that the TCP drop shafts are a smart feature. That alone might make the decision. The prices of these systems still amaze me. The engineering costs are long ago amortized but the competition seems to have colluded on price point.

Your right on the money with how $PROUD$ they are of their front coil over setup. You want another laugh, look at TCP's billet hood hinges.. That will make your wallet run..

I have the Ron Morris kit and love it. The ride quality is great and handling is much imporved over the stock suspension I had. If you are patient watch ebay. I got my kit directly from Ron because it had a flaw on the finish of the shock mount. I paid less than $1800 shipped and it was new. Patience is a virtue.