Dammit I'm sick of this starter heat soak problem

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
Pennsylvania
Again my car has left me stranded . Starts up fine cold everytime. I go for some gas with it. Turn it off at the pump, go to restart and it barely kicks over (emphisis on the barely) So I drive the ****box to drop off a movie shut it off and of couse it doesn't start. Fuggin starter is completly heat soaked and that was the end of the story. Luckily I was parked on a hill (did that on purpose b/c I already knew it wasn't going to start again) and caught it in gear. ****ty long tubes are in the way of everything and to top if off gave me this wonderful problem. Starter is like 1yr old didn't have the LT's when I bought it so it's a factory replacment, . Has not 1 but 2 heatshields over it and it still won't start when hot. Is a high torque mini going to fix my problem or am I just throwing more money at this thing for no reason. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem with 2 of my Mustangs after I installed a trunk mount battery kit and electric fan. I took some 2ga wire and put 1/2" eyelets on the ends, connected one end to the block and the other to the front frame at the sway bar support. That worked for a while until my third alternator went out- same problem. I did the 3g alt upgrade and haven't had a problem since.

I'm thinking 91lxttrim might be on to something here. I think it odd that a basically new starter is giving you trouble like that and have to wonder if all the wiring is up to snuff or possibly the cause. Then again, I've never run long tube headers or had to deal with the starter really hot.

Let us know about wiring first. If you think that's all squared away then a high torque starter (not necessarily a mini) might be your next shot.

i had the same problem. i installed a mini high torque starter. cool thing with these starters is you can adjust them to sit closer to the oil pan away from the headers. i already had a alt upgrade. i changed the wires to starter before i installed new high torque starter still had same problem. so far i havent had any troubles. i like the way the starter sounds aswell.

i too have a ministarter that is adjustable. got it from orielies for 170. i run long tubes and the starter has been fine. of course i have not used the car but for a few months.

I do have a trunk mounted battery and you guys to bring up some good points. Last year I switched from the standard battery cable to welding cable to make the run from the trunk and that did help quite a bit. I do have a 4g cable running from the block to the frame rail and I did put a new thicker braided cable from the head to the firewall. I can pick up some more cable and try to replace what I currently have with some more welding cable. My alternator is stock and charges at about the middle but I know it's barely adequate. I'll try the cheap stuff first and if this doesn't work I'll move on to the 3g and high torque mini and I'll see what happens.

Maybe try just disconnecting, cleaning, then reinstalling the cable you have. You didn't say it but for some reason I've got the impression that this is a problem that's been gradually getting worse.