Do you love your 01 Cobra??

1)Every sentence you type enables me to learn something about you. Correct? I do have crystal balls and they are called “eyes”. I am arrogant huh? Well how about this quote for you:

Tommy98016 said:
It's funny how you think you know me so well, that I am arrogant. You must have a crystal ball or something to have figured his out only after reading 3 post of mine.

2)It’s all good man. Quit while you’re ahead.

3)I do not think I am better then anyone else nor do I think of my car as better. My above post should have told you this information.

MrCleanCoupe said:
I have owned lots of cars; vettes, srt-10 ram, transams, 300zx, camaros, other mustangs. Yet I still feel this is my favorite car yet. It handles good and rides good and has enough power to beat “most” of what you run into.

If you understood who I was talking to in the thread you would see this in his signature: Maybe I should have quoted him.

"2001 Triple Black SVT Cobra Convertible

bone stock... we'll see how long that lasts"

4)I agree it’s damn 4:30 time for sleep! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

MrCleanCoupe said:
Oh please. Don't give me that BS. Like anyone would honor a warranty if you did all that stuff. Your full of it and pissed because I am right. New car what the hell are you talking about? It's 2006. They are both used. Sound like you need to come out of terminator dream land and relize the truth. In fact kenne bell has a nice kit for 4700 that puts down 426 rwhp. Combine that with the less "nose weight" of an 01 and the higher revs and your little terminator has met the crusher. I can get a 01 cobra, built motor, a better blower, better clutch, new wheels, and better axles for less then the cost of a 03/04. Even if it was a hair more; it would still smoke the **** out a terminator.

Your car is a POSER its not a saleen. I don't care what you do to it. It will allways be a :puke: DISGRACED cobra. Get mad all you want, but the truth is the truth. It's your choice how to handle it.

I can't believe how much of an ass you are making of yourself. My car weighs 3680 with a half tank of gas. A 2001 coupe is reported to weigh 3430. A whopping 250lbs over the whole car- not this inflated 300 on the nose number you came up with. And how is having 6800 vs 6500 redline any real advantage when the 03 cobra can run that with an altered config file? And how exaclty do you come to the conclusion that it will have the 03 "meet the crusher" when your car doesn't even have the Teksid block of the previous years?

So you want to spend $4700 to go from 300hp to 427? That's thrifty! Does it come with the fuel upgrades, MAF, plugs, labor... etc? want to know what it takes a terminator to get to 427? Intake and exhaust on a factory tune. Cost? $500. Show me one dealership that will refuse to cover my engine with these mods. However, how do you think you will be treated by Ford if you warp a piston under a KB?

Quite the enlightened one you are for saying that a car made in 2001 is cheaper than a car made in 2003. But who are you to decide what the OP wants to pay for and how he values the improvements of a 2003 over a 2001. Even the cosmetics aside, you are talking out of your arse if you think you can "get a 01 cobra, built motor, a better blower, better clutch, new wheels, and better axles for less then the cost of a 03/04".

And for clarification, cars cannot be "POSERS".. they don't have feelings, can't animate themselves or even take things personally. Not sure where you get the idea that anything you have said has "upset me". You seem more content in defending you car vs mine and insulting people than helping the OP make an informed decision.

Friedchicken said:
I can't believe how much of an ass you are making of yourself. My car weighs 3680 with a half tank of gas. A 2001 coupe is reported to weigh 3430. A whopping 250lbs over the whole car- not this inflated 300 on the nose number you came up with. And how is having 6800 vs 6500 redline any real advantage when the 03 cobra can run that with an altered config file? And how exaclty do you come to the conclusion that it will have the 03 "meet the crusher" when your car doesn't even have the Teksid block of the previous years?

So you want to spend $4700 to go from 300hp to 427? That's thrifty! Does it come with the fuel upgrades, MAF, plugs, labor... etc? want to know what it takes a terminator to get to 427? Intake and exhaust on a factory tune. Cost? $500. Show me one dealership that will refuse to cover my engine with these mods. However, how do you think you will be treated by Ford if you warp a piston under a KB?

Quite the enlightened one you are for saying that a car made in 2001 is cheaper than a car made in 2003. But who are you to decide what the OP wants to pay for and how he values the improvements of a 2003 over a 2001. Even the cosmetics aside, you are talking out of your arse if you think you can "get a 01 cobra, built motor, a better blower, better clutch, new wheels, and better axles for less then the cost of a 03/04".

And for clarification, cars cannot be "POSERS".. they don't have feelings, can't animate themselves or even take things personally. Not sure where you get the idea that anything you have said has "upset me". You seem more content in defending you car vs mine and insulting people than helping the OP make an informed decision.

The "250" lbs is 80% on the nose of the car. Due to the iron block. Why would you want to rev any higher then 6k in an 03/04? They don't make good power at 7k. Some 01's actually have the tesk block. Plus 01's don't need a good block to make power. That only has to due with durability. More power in a lighter car = the end of the terminator. Lighter nose weight = better weight distribution which means a car handles better.

Yes for 4700 you get Blower, Mass air, Injectors, Chip, ect. Every thing you need. I do all the work on my own car so labor doesn't matter. I don't know about the guy above but I don't like other people working on my car. So you’re telling me you get 50 rwhp from an intake and an exhaust. I don't think so. Plus those are a lot more then 500 more like 800-1000. LOL ya ok buddy, if you blow your motor we shall see what ford does for ya.

It's ok Mr. Sensitive. I will explain this for you. I am not deciding anything. Its called an OPINION! If you don't like mine that sucks for you. Here is the price break down for you.

01 Cobra - 15,500
KB Blower - 4,700 - (6200 For the 2.2 and a possible 617 rwhp)
New pistons and rods - 1500 maybe cheaper
Axles - 1000
03 Rims & Tires - 750
Clutch - 400

Total = $23,850 for 535 rwhp / $26,000 for 617 rwhp including fuel upgrades and 2.2 KB blower with can make up to 700 rwhp

03/04 Cobra = $24000-26000 for just the car.

If you want more power you have to add the upgrades clutch, pulley, tuner, exhaust and then your max power would be in the mid to upper 400's before you need a blower upgrade. Plus you have all the added weight. Granted it is easier to get a 03/04 to that level. Just not cheaper ;) Some people do care about costs.

It's not the car that’s a poser. You're the one that did it to the car. I don't care about comparing your car to mine because mine is basically stock. Their isn't much comparison there. When I do decide its time for more power I guaren-damn-tee you I won't be getting an 03-04 though. :nice:

Kenne Bell Specs for 99/01

First of all, you were trying to point out the 2001 cobra redline was superior to that of a 03, when in fact it's only 300 rpm different. Your point is moot. And 250lbs on the front or distributed evenly throughout the whole car makes no difference. Power-to-weight ratios are still the same no matter where the weight is. And where are your weight savings when you add your KB/intercooler/plumbing/pullies.. etc? Looks like your nose is going to be as heavy as mine minus 70lbs for the iron block over aluminum.

And discounting durability is so laughable- specially when comparing high power levels. You can build your 01 cobra with over 600hp, but it still won't go faster than 50 mph on the back of a flatbed.

Do your own work too? Impressive. Pistons and rods, but no gaskets, seals or machine work? Please, tell me how you do that. How much did you pay for your dyno and where do you put it? In your world everyone is an engine builder that has his own garage and machine shop.

Great. Price wars. Let's stop guessing and provide real numbers to your purported prices.

01 Cobra - 15,500
The OP is looking at a car that is $19000. Which is reasonable if the car is in excellent condition and doesn't need new brakes, exhaust, filters...etc and all those other little things that need to be done for a 5 year old car. That type of condition would be considered rare for a 2001, but common for a 2003 (and you can pretty much guarantee the color you want).

KB Blower - 4,700
It's $4800 and you are crazy if you think the supplied tune makes you "good-to-go"

New pistons and rods - 1500 maybe cheaper
I call BS.

Axles - 1000
Let's see a link.

03 Rims & Tires - 750
$750 for decent tires maybe. The cheapest AFS wheel and tire combo is over $1000

Clutch - 400
Let's see a link.

Wow! You're way seems like alot more trouble and much more expensive than just buying a used 03 cobra.

$21k http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290645
$23.5k http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291156
Need more? Check out Ebay where they always have a few at or below $23k closing bid.

As for intake and exahaust making 50rwhp on an 03? I suggest you go look on SVTperformance for the polls made on HP gains for this combo before you put both your feet in your mouth. My Borla Stingers and JLT intake alone made more than 50rwhp. K&N FPIC is $170 and a MAC catback system is $390 at Lethal Performance without the group discounts.

So, you give advice to the OP that relys on:
a) They are an engine builder and do not pay for labor,
b) They don't care about durability,
c) None of the upgrades on an 03 ashtetic or otherwise is important.
d) They can get a 01 Cobra that is clean and doesn't need anything else done to it for $15500
e) They actually have a garage that you can build an engine, swap axles, re/re tranny for a clutch.
f) They like running a tune without dyno testing the A/F

It's been a while since I have seen someone in such denial. Are you sure you didn't own a Camaro and post on F-body.com?

MrCleanCoupe said:
A saleen body kit and rims on a cobra is stupid. You want a saleen get a saleen. Don't be a poser. All the t-56 is going to do is give you a little better gas mileage on the highway. If you ever decide you want more then 400 rwhp you can get a built short block or build your own. I didn't notice him say anything about any bolt ons.

You get a procharger and a set of 03 wheels for you car it will be faster and handle better then a stock 03-04. Thanks to the 300lbs less nose weight. You can get a nice set of 03 wheels and tires for 500-1000 bucks, procharger w/injectors and mass and tune for 4,350.

Interesting statement, moronic, but still interesting.
The guy wants a saleen look with the DOHC engine. There is two ways to get that.
A. You buy a real saleen cobra, which is very expensive, not to mention sometimes near impossible to find.
9 in 2004 (i think)
11 in 2003
13 in 2001
20 in 1999
34 in 1998
18 in 1997
11 in 1996

B. you build your own, and with the limited number of Dohc saleens, especially in the New edge body style, building your own is a very reasonable option.

But hell, what do i know, i'm just a poser.

BTW, A built shortblock is about $3500, coupled with a procharger (which is a POS), that puts your around 8 grand, just to get equal with a pullied 03/04.

I am pretty sure the redline on 01 cobras is about 7200 rpm to my knowledge. Since you’re so link happy; Please provide links for proof of 03/04 redline and that the IRON block only weighs 70lbs more then the aluminum. I don’t think you understand how much heavier iron is then aluminum. That blower at the most weighs 50lbs. CMON man like it would cost more then 1500 for you to drop your motor off at a machine shop and have them put new pistons and rods in.

19,000 is way over book value.

I would say that tune is pretty close. The guys at KB know what they are doing with cobras.

Axle Link

Tire Example 1

Tire Example 2

Tire Example 3 - Bit more but it has 10.5" wheels and 315s which is an upgrade from 03/04

Spec Clutch Link

a)CMON everybody lets do the twist :banana:. You don’t have to be an engine builder to pull your own engine out nor do you need a garage.

b)Durability does matter and the blocks in the 01 can handle a good amount of power. It just wasn’t what we were discussing.

c)Well seeing everyone likes to put fake kits on their cars. You might be right on this one. Personally the only thing I like about the 03/04 is the bumper, spoiler, and wheels. Wheels being the only thing I would put on because they can be purchased wider for bigger tires.

d)It might need some small things like a 100$ diy brake job and a battery.

e)If you don’t have a garage you probably don’t have enough money for a cobra unless mom is buying it for you. In that case you can just use her’s.

f)AFR dyno session hmmm maybe $125 max. Only to find out your tune is fine. Maybe not optimal but it will work safely.

CMON with the bottom of the barrel cobras here. If want to compare a top notch 01 to a top notch 03/04 that’s cool. But don't compare a bottom 03/04 to a top 01. The price difference between the years is about 10k.

Yes I have owned camaros before and posted on that site. Cool bunch of people too.

2000xp8 said:
Interesting statement, moronic, but still interesting.
The guy wants a saleen look with the DOHC engine. There is two ways to get that.
A. You buy a real saleen cobra, which is very expensive, not to mention sometimes near impossible to find.
9 in 2004 (i think)
11 in 2003
13 in 2001
20 in 1999
34 in 1998
18 in 1997
11 in 1996

B. you build your own, and with the limited number of Dohc saleens, especially in the New edge body style, building your own is a very reasonable option.

But hell, what do i know, i'm just a poser.

BTW, A built shortblock is about $3500, coupled with a procharger (which is a POS), that puts your around 8 grand, just to get equal with a pullied 03/04.

Hince the reason those cars are so cool and expensive. Probably the reason why neither of you have the REAL thing.

BTW, 3500 is for a complete short block. Not to redo yours.

Relax clone man. Don't get em wadded also. :lol: :dead:

So let me get this straight, for this guy to have a DOHC that looks like a saleen, he needs to buy a real one? Basically instead of taking an $18,000 car and putting$2500 in body work into it, you suggest he go buy a $35,000-$40,000 car to keep guys like you happy?

The whole point of someone putting a saleen/cobra kit is so that they can drive around and look cool like they are driving the real thing. No buddy has respect for a fake. Ya it looks good but its just a copy. If driving something like that around doesn't bother you more power to ya. :nice:

Ok...back on the subject.

I love my 2001 Cobra and enjoy driving everytime I get behind the wheel. But I do envy the 03/04 Cobra owners and still give them thumbs up. :nice:

I would prefer to get an 03/04 Cobra. lets face it, it's the badest SVT Cobra Ford produced IMO. 390 underrated horsepower with a small pully mod putting you in the 400hp group with no danger of your internals. noice! :D
If you find one and it's within your budget, go for an 03/04.

P.S. Friedchicken Love that car, good looks and 03 Cobra to boot. :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
Whats not to love ?? Only 329 2001 Cobra in my color running around MAYBE..........

Bought mine brand new shape/looking for $19K with 12K miles and orginal sneakers.

I updated our with parts from 03/04 Cobra and the FR500 Stang