Engine Swap: the Nittygritty

mr_woodster

Jul 28, 2003
Riverside, CA
Alrighty, getting so very close to swaping my turbo 86' motor in (rebuilt, with oval bigvalve head). I need some smog exsperts here, who has passed California (equal or tuffer) emissions standards with an engine swap? My car is an 87 and i am swaping backwards to an 86' tc motor (basicly a no-no). I have done some reading about california laws, seems simple enough. Take it too a referee, they do a visual check (30 mins to an 1hr) make sure your motor has all the proper smog equipment (all hookd up and working) , they give you a tag that goes on the inside of your door , with new emissions specs and your good to go. My question is HOW will they know if i am putting an 86 motor over an 87? both running la3's(not that they can see) , 35lb injectors, t3's (not illigal to upgrade your turbo i dont think?), aslong as i have the charcoal can, egr,cats and oygen sensor in the proper place with the timing and idle in order...should i be good to go? worst comes to worst i waste 40$ but he tells me what i need to do to be legal, BUT i would like to go there only once ! Hope some people have some input, if not ill let you fellow cali's know how it goes :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Technically it is an 87 or later. it's an 86.5(round up ;) ) motor, with all NEW bearings and seals and crank. The head will have (pending) a fresh valve job, with NEW valves, a New(er) (93 n/a roller) cam & followers. New Rings, new Headgasket, 87 upper and lower intake, an 87-88 computer (la3) and a later model intercooler (even if it is volvo ;) ) has the same E6 on 87-88 tc's, truthfully its the same (just better) as a 87-88 tc motor, the 86.5 was just the 87-88 minus the intercooler/la3/big vam....all of which i have added! I dont feel bad anymore, lol i wont be lying, it is an 87 or later engine, NOW :nice:

ps: i dont count the ihi as a step forwards....wonder if the tc would have been 200+ hp had they stayed with a more efficent t3.. :shrug: