Finished 73mm caliper upgrade

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
Pennsylvania
Appears to have turned out good. I ended up going w/ a 94 GT MC and got the resevour for it from the junkyard ($3.50). I figure total cost was about $100 for everything. I core charged all my old stuff at autozone. Only had a chance to put 5 miles on it but so far so good. I have some pics on page 5 in my sig if anyone is interested. Seems to be a popular topic on here lately. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

i just finished the 73mm brake upgrade on my car too. what an improvment!! especially since my car is a 4cyl conversion car. i used the svo master cylinder,11" crossdrilled rotors, 73mm calipers, 5.0 booster, 5.0 spindles, struts, Saleen/Racecraft springs & did the 3-2 port brake line conversion. handling & braking are now outstanding! rear discs comming soon.

jay briand said:
i just finished the 73mm brake upgrade on my car too. what an improvment!! especially since my car is a 4cyl conversion car. i used the svo master cylinder,11" crossdrilled rotors, 73mm calipers, 5.0 booster, 5.0 spindles, struts, Saleen/Racecraft springs & did the 3-2 port brake line conversion. handling & braking are now outstanding! rear discs comming soon.

If your going rear disc you'll have to swap out the booster w/ a bigger one. I need to do that on my other car rear dics but a stock booster. :notnice:

jay briand said:
this is not what i hear or read. Saleen mustangs used the stock 5.0 booster w/ svo master cylinder, 73mm calipers & rear discs w/ no problems. this is what i am trying to dulpicate for the most part.

I know I'm going w/ a larger 94-95 booster since that has been suggested to me. Not sure about the saleen cars, I never researched it. Just might be something to consider if the stock 5.0 booster doesn't work out. Sounds like you built a nice machine so far. :nice:

ram360 said:
I know I'm going w/ a larger 94-95 booster since that has been suggested to me. Not sure about the saleen cars, I never researched it. Just might be something to consider if the stock 5.0 booster doesn't work out. Sounds like you built a nice machine so far. :nice:

Get a 93 Cobra Booster you will be better off! The stud pattern is the same as the Fox as well as the thread pitch for the nuts that hold it in. New Boosters are next to impossible to find, but you can buy rebuilt 93 Cobras for a decent price.

I see that you did the 73mm conversion. i am doing the same thing, but i have some questions to ask. what part do you need besides the calipers, what spindles are you using and what other modification you did. thanks

ram360 said:
Appears to have turned out good. I ended up going w/ a 94 GT MC and got the resevour for it from the junkyard ($3.50). I figure total cost was about $100 for everything. I core charged all my old stuff at autozone. Only had a chance to put 5 miles on it but so far so good. I have some pics on page 5 in my sig if anyone is interested. Seems to be a popular topic on here lately. :flag:

Which 3 port to 2 port master cylinder conversion kit did you use,and was the difference fairly noticeable in terms of better braking even with the rear drums?

i used the 86 SVO master cylinder. braking for me inproved 10 fold seeing as i had 4 cylinder front brakes to start with but it stops quickly now!
i went to the auto parts store & made my own 3-2 port conversion kit for about 11.00 & that included extra fittings, lines & the T fitting.

rflow50 said:
I see that you did the 73mm conversion. i am doing the same thing, but i have some questions to ask. what part do you need besides the calipers, what spindles are you using and what other modification you did. thanks

Calipers, Brake Pads for the vic calipers, 94 GT Master Cylinder, Some new hardlines to do the 3-2 port conversion. I Still have the stock spindles on this car.

8950HO said:
Which 3 port to 2 port master cylinder conversion kit did you use,and was the difference fairly noticeable in terms of better braking even with the rear drums?

I didn't put many miles on it yet but braking has definetly improved. I kept the stock 5.0 booster and brake pedal feel is nice, not too stiff. As for the 3-2 port I made my own but I ended up using my line lock soleniod in the mix so It's a slightly different setup that what matt90gt's site shows. But at any rate I bought all the fitting I needed at autozone for a few dollars like jay did.

ram360 said:
If your going rear disc you'll have to swap out the booster w/ a bigger one. I need to do that on my other car rear dics but a stock booster. :notnice:

No need to swap out the booster. I did the 73mm front TC rear disc with a 95GT MC and stock booster (88 LX 5.0 with stock cam). Pedal is a little firmer but the brakes work fine.

bestia said:
No need to swap out the booster. I did the 73mm front TC rear disc with a 95GT MC and stock booster (88 LX 5.0 with stock cam). Pedal is a little firmer but the brakes work fine.
Same here, excellent pedal feel & modulation. I wouldn't change the booster since the stock one works so good.

The pedal in my other car is rock hard w/ the rear discs and stock booster. It's also possible my cam has something to do w/ it having less vacuum Maybe a larger booster in my case is the only other option.

Whats up guys. Im doing this conv on my 85gt. I got 87 V8 spindles. I would like the part numbers on the caliper and pad you guys bought. And which ss braided lines did you use? Will the 87 type fit the 73mm Vic calpers???
Thanks
Joe E.