Flows for my 89 LX 2.3L

freakintiger said:
I only added the part about the turbo cars, so I would'nt be barraged with a bunch of "but what about" or "my turbo car" comments.

For clarification: I HAVE NO INTENTION OF PUTTING ON A TURBO(NO OFFENSE TO TURBO GUYS, I THINK TURBOS ARE GREAT, SEE BOTTOM ). I feel challenged(SINCE THIS IS THE CAR I NOW OWN) to use all the tricks I have learned over the past 11 years to wring all the power I can out of this engine. I will be porting and polishing a head this summer, etc. After I implement all aspects of my plan(including a C4 trans) I expect to have an engine with some ZIP, I have no delusions about the power level I will achieve(WITHIN MY BUDGET, WE ALL WOULD HAVE BADDER ,NOT NECESSARILY BIGGER ENGINES, IF WE HAD THE BANK FOR IT) :D .

Anyway if I had my way(financially) I'd be driving a TWIN-TURBO 427 stroker with all the goodies. And it would'nt be in a 'stang either.
sorry to rag on you man, I like to tease the folks who don't like V8s for some reason. Ya the 2.3 is a fun motor to work on, I hope to get maybe 130-140 out of mine when it is back together. BUT no one should have any delusions as to the potential of these things...

• Sponsors (?)

jstang209 said:
well i figure.. since i just got smogged 5/26/04 i wont need to be smogged again till 2006 so i can run with no cats for 2 years.. then put them back on when smog time comes.. so If i take off both cats and just get a 40 series with a Y pipe. that will sound the best?

If you replace the whole exhaust, the simple answer is INSTALL A CATALYTIC CONVERTER. They are like $60 at summit or NAPA etc. and pose no restriction to the exhaust flow of a 2.3 (if you install 2-1/4" pipe). You never have to worry about emissions, as you are doing your part to keep the air clean.

If you are just doing the flowmaster and tailpipes deal. That is the "catback" because it goes from the catalytic converter(s) back, in other words is AFTER the cats, so you really are worrying about nothing. Just disconnect the pipe by the driveshaft by removing 2 bolts, and unhook the tailpipe and muffler hangers, and the whole deal should slide out after you support the chassis and lower the rear axle. Then chop off the part that the bolts go in, and have a muffler shop weld it to the end of a 21 inch long, 2-1/4" OD (outside diameter) pipe. This will stick into the inlet of a 2-1/4" ID (inside dia) Flowmaster 42443 muffler, available from Summit about 60 bucks. Also cut off the muffler hanger and have that welded to the back middle of the muffler. Finally find a set of factory LX 5.0 tailpipes from somebody who doesn't need em, and add on a short peice of 2-1/4" OD elbow pipe or whatever you need to match the original tailpipe, but be able to insert it in the muffler. Install all that, and use two 2-1/4" exhaust clamps on the muffler inlet and outlet when you have it lined up as you like.

That is how to replace the STOCK catback. It will sound awesome. To have duals, you will have to figure out for yourself a different setup where the muffler is far enough forward to permit a Y-pipe in front of the axle.

well the guy at the muffler shop said i wont pass smog with one cat.. so if i take one off.. i might as well take both off right? and for the y pipe.. cant they just add regular ol long piece of pipe.. or will that mess of the sound?

Ray III said:
sorry to rag on you man, I like to tease the folks who don't like V8s for some reason. Ya the 2.3 is a fun motor to work on, I hope to get maybe 130-140 out of mine when it is back together. BUT no one should have any delusions as to the potential of these things...

Well said Ray, I hope to do the same to mine and hopefully add some forged pistons so I can run a modest shot of nitrous...just to see what happens...but not until I get that C4... :D

By the way I love V8s(I've owned 5 in the past 11 yrs), just can't afford one right now, seems though hopping up a 4 is do-able, so I'm going to max her out