forged piston ?

Ok so I bought a set of used forged pistons which weren't in the greatest of shape but looked salvagable in my eyes, at least what I could see in the provided pics. Side note pics can be deceiving. Anyway one of the pistons shows signs of detonation to the point that it started to eat some chunks out of the top of it. My question is, which I think I may already know the answer but I would like some of your opinions is can the small crater in the top of the piston be welded back flush? If it can will there be any negative effects to the piston once it's welded, or should I just look into replacing this single piston. Thanks for your advise guys and gals.

View attachment 213368

View attachment 213369

• Sponsors (?)

Why do those pistons have four notches in them? Those look suspiciously like 32 valve pistons to me. Don't replace one piston. You want them all to be a matched set of about the same weight. I would look into getting the piston repaired.

Kurt

I wouldn't bother, it's probably not more than 1cc and being right at the edge of the valve relief, could easily just be blended into it with a cartridge roll. Replacing it would be the best choice though, since you really don't know if there's any other damage to the piston that isn't visible to the naked eye.

carbon can develop in the recesses and create hot spots causing pinging that you will not be able to get rid of. Personally by the look of those pistons toss them. And besides what would you want pistons for? They hyper pistons can take more then the block in these cars anyway.