Got my new brakes in...WOW!

No, thats not really the case. A LOT of braking tho is the tires. I had a friend who had a Porsche C4S, (turbo brakes) and they were beyond incredible......until he changed the tires....they weren't nearly as impressive as they were with the high $ tires.
On my mustang I run Bridgestone SO3's and they are pretty good. That said, I have had pretty limited time playing with these brakes so far. I can hit them pretty hard at lower speeds (under 50) and they just haul it down FAST. I did hit it pretty hard at 70 and they locked up..BUT...that was cold brakes and it had rained the night before....so Yes, I can lock them up but no they don't lock early or easily AND I am just beginning to adjust the bias so I think I still have lots left to gain.

allcarfan said:
i have a question. With huge brakes like that, when you press the brake pedal, do they have more of a tendency to lock up because of the stopping power?

• Sponsors (?)

allcarfan said:
i have a question. With huge brakes like that, when you press the brake pedal, do they have more of a tendency to lock up because of the stopping power?
When properly setup, large brakes should have less of a tendency to lock up because it's easier to modulate the brakes. Sure, if you were to spike the brakes, the larger rotors would probably lock up the wheels faster than smaller rotors, but if you're spiking the brakes, you might want to reconsider your driving style.

Cbarton said:
rotors and calipers and brake lines and mounts, in the front you use your spindles. The master cylinder is an addl. $325 and it is VERY bitchen. Doesn't use a prop valve, it uses a bias bar. See the photo.
That sounds like a really good deal. And I've seen that master cylinder...very slick! Thanks for the info!

One more question, if I may. Are you using the stock spindles? I'm curious as I'm planning on doing the same brake swap as you, but haven't decided if I'm going to keep the stock '68 drum spindles, upgrade to the 71-73 drum spindles, or just have a new set fabricated so that I can play with drop, KIA, and scrub radius.

Stock spindles.

Also, check out these guys. Never heard of them before a few days ago....they have some VERY interesting stuff coming out soon......

http://raeracing.com/catalog/

Chris

One more question, if I may. Are you using the stock spindles? I'm curious as I'm planning on doing the same brake swap as you, but haven't decided if I'm going to keep the stock '68 drum spindles, upgrade to the 71-73 drum spindles, or just have a new set fabricated so that I can play with drop, KIA, and scrub radius.[/QUOTE]

gp001 said:
I was toying with that thought as well. Didn't Preston have Coleman make up some custom uprights? I know someone did.
Bingo. From the infamous TCP thread on that big-meanie-head forum ;):
After I was thoroughly immersed in re-engineering the early suspension I came to the conclusion that drop spindles would be a great start on improving things. One other trick I tried that worked pretty well was moving the upper BJ inward. The stock spindle has very low KAI and really high scrub, and if you are willing to suck up a minor increase in KAI, you can reduce the scrub pretty significantly, while also increasing clearance for a larger tire in the stock wells.
All I know is when I'm ready to do this for real, Preston's mail box is going to be very full. He's an incredible wealth of information and loves to share what he knows.
Cbarton said:
Stock spindles.

Also, check out these guys. Never heard of them before a few days ago....they have some VERY interesting stuff coming out soon......

http://raeracing.com/catalog/

Chris
Thanks again Chris. And thanks for the link. I've already marked January 3 and February 1, 2005 on my calendar to remind me to check out that site as they do have VERY interesting stuff coming out.

Sebastien

Red Barchetta said:
Bingo. From the infamous TCP thread on that big-meanie-head forum :

Quote:
After I was thoroughly immersed in re-engineering the early suspension I came to the conclusion that drop spindles would be a great start on improving things. One other trick I tried that worked pretty well was moving the upper BJ inward. The stock spindle has very low KAI and really high scrub, and if you are willing to suck up a minor increase in KAI, you can reduce the scrub pretty significantly, while also increasing clearance for a larger tire in the stock wells.

All I know is when I'm ready to do this for real, Preston's mail box is going to be very full. He's an incredible wealth of information and loves to share what he knows.

Red, please keep us up to date with with what you learn from Preston. I think that Fatman has a drop spindle for our classic stangs but I do not know it's capabilities in a race type application. Considering the source it may just be a street rod part.