H-Pipe or X-Pipe?... This, is the question.

Mega-Man

Aug 6, 2004
Sammamish, WA
Hello Again,
Please forgive the newbie post(s), but can someone explain to me what the difference is? Also, what is a "catback?" I'm looking to get my exhaust off of the stock label and am having problems dealing with the terminology. :) Thanks! - Mega

P.S.
Is there a site / resource page which could get me familiar with the different parts and terminologies?

• Sponsors (?)

An X pipe is just what it sounds like ...it re-synchronizes exhaust pulses from both sides of the engine. It flows better than an H pipe, because the X design leaves the exhaust no choice but to pass through the junction, where as an H pipe, some exhaust will flow through the balancer and some won't. An H pipe will give you a more classic growl, while an X pipe gives you a smoother, racier tone. Both sound deep, the X just doesn't burble as much. I prefer the X pipe, and it is only going to continue to grow in popularity as more and more people realize the benefits over the H.

A catback is an exhaust system that includes everything from the catalytic converters back - so basically you get mufflers and tailpipes.

I strongly recommend the X pipe ...and there are tons of mufflers/catbacks available that sound great on stangs ...good luck

welcome.gif

A catback is the short name for the exhaust system from the catalytic converters back, hense the name. Below is an example of what one looks like. It consists of a couple of short 'flow tubes', then mufflers, tailpipes, then finally some sort of tips. Most are 2.5" (stock is 2.25") mandrel bent tubing - doesn't sound like much difference, but it is. And seeing them in person, you'd really notice the size increase.
The difference between the H mid pipe and X mid pipe (and by mid, they mean it's in the middle of the exhaust system, between the manifolds and the catback) is the design. The H is H shaped with the dual pipes (one from each side of the engine) essentially paralleling each other with a 'crossover' pipe in the middle to make it a H design. In an X configuration, the pipes meet in the middle then separate again, making the X shape. In each configuration, the dual pipes breathe with the other, and, the thought is, this allows the pulses of exhaust gases to help pull additional exhaust gas pulses out. Which is better? Neither...they are just different. An X pipe provides more gains in the upper RPM range while sacraficing some bottom end torque. The H is a bit more of a throaty sound with better bottom end, but gives up some power to the X in the higher RPMs.
Midpipes are available with or without cats. Midpipes without cats are known as 'offroad' or O/R, because they're really not street legal. And they are quite loud. The catted midpipe is still loud since they only have 2 high flow cats and a bigger diameter (again 2.25" vs 2.5"), mandrel bent tubing. Below is a pic of SLP's X pipe with cats.
Hope this helps!!!
17312.jpg

M31032.jpg

These are all great responses, and VERY much appreciated. I love learning new things--especially when related to my interests / hobbies. Thanks all! - Mega

P.S.
I went up to the recommended site to listen to the various sounds--my preference right now is an X-pipe with Magnaflows. ;)

I'm pretty sure it was the Magaflows, not Magnapacks. The Magnapacks have a "gurgle" at the end of a rev if I'm not mistaken. I'll go up to their site and double-check.

So is "catback" anything to do with headers (includes them)? Or is that a whole different ball of wax? Am I stuck in the dark ages of mod'ing a car? LOL When I was in High School during the 80's, everyone was about getting headers. Obviously, the technology has changed but would like to know. Anyone?

Thanks! - Mega

Headers replace your stock manifolds from the engine. If you look into getting Longtube headers then you might want to consider an offroad mid-pipe if you don't have to deal with emissions.

I just put a Magnaflow catback on my Bullitt. Catback=new bigger pipes and better mufflers). The Magnaflow (is a straight through muffler). HTese straight through mufflers are "generally" sound better with X-pipes. Where as chambered mufflers "generally" sound better with H-pipes. Again this does not work for everybody, exhaust (like ony other mod actually) is a personal preference kind of thing.

Listen to as many in person as you can, go to your local club meetings.

Like I said...I have the Magnaflow, and it sits behind the stock H-pipe and headers. I get a lot of soft popping and gurgling when I let off the throttle. I think I would like the offroad x a little better.

Good luck' :nice:
Brandon

Hey 02camarokiller, do you like to talk about religion on a car forum? If not then why are you shoving your religious views in everyone elses face? Because with that avatar that is exactly what you are doing! I come here to get car info not religous views. You might as well go stand on the street corners next to the extremists and yell your views at the passing cars also. Because by using that picture that is exactly what you are doing on this forum, and you are no different than them. :nonono: Looks like you need a hug.

Headers to X-or H (mid-pipe) to catback. I have the Mac Prochamber with the stock mufflers. I also had an off road H and it was just a little louder and deeper than the Prochamber. Of course once you remove the pipe with the cats you hardly have a "cat-back" anymore. :nice: