Had to put my dog to sleep :(

Im sorry man, I had an awesome Doberman. I grew up with him sleeping in my bed for practically my whole life (im 17).

He got cancer in his leg, but we couldn't let him go and we got it amputated. For a year after that he was awesome, running and everything on three legs. He did great...but then it came back and we had to put him down.

Dobermans are awesome, he was the sweetest dog I have ever met.

• Sponsors (?)

Synned, that's a real nice story! I would've loved to be able to tell the same thing this time. We had another Doberman years ago (101lbs.!) who had kidney failure, and another who developed stomach cancer. They're such great dogs, we keep getting more. This time, though, it's going to be a while.

Thanks fivespeed :)

jghood, that's cool. Badazz dogs go with badazz cars any day :nice:

The problems with big dogs, they just don't live long enough. Maby in the future with genetic engineering they can make them live longer. When I was a baby, we had a Great Dane, she was a beautifull dog, I remember her being about the size of a moose, but anyways I remember she was like a second mother because she always looked after me. She died when I was five, but I still remember her well. Her name was Sonya. I am going to get another dog one day, I just don't have enough time right now.

- not much I can say except sorry for your loss and I know your pain, it hurts.

Sorry about the loss man, it hurts losing a dog, i know...but just think, despite all the pain now think of how much happiness he brought you :nice: yeah that mightve been pretty gay but its true

Not gay at all Lyncher. He protected me too. If anyone would raise their voice at me he'd jump up and bark at them. :)

Nutzy - I have more if ya really want one lol. The bill wasn't bad at all compared to what I was ready to agree to had surgery been a more viable option.

fox racer said:
Daggar said:
My kids keep bugging me for a dog QUOTE]

C'mon get your kids a dog... every kid (correction: person) needs a dog.

My neighbors got 13 of em...
1 yellow lab
1 black lab
7 jack russels
4 jack russel puppies (selling them)
Not to mention 2 horses
2 donkeys
4 goats
1 bull
2calves
7 ponies
6 sheep
chickens
and uhh...o yeah lots of ducks

its a farm if you couldnt figure it out haha :D

o yeah and 3 rabbits and a pot bellied pig named Hamlet

bro, so sorry to read this. I lost my Maltese "Gin Gin" (my other dogs name is "Tonic"...get it? Gin and tonic?) anyways.....he passed three weeks ago yesterday. I know what your going thru. it's tuff. I keep telling my self telling myself....All dogs go to Heaven. remind youtself...you gave him everything he wanted. you spolied him. you had him helping you in the garage working on the stang...stealing your tools or rags or knocking down a jug of antifreeze or oil.

I remember seeing a pic of your dog two years ago.....what a great looking dog. I am sure he knows right now he is loved and missed.

Thanks gruvee. It was real sad in the final minutes. He was laying there but had a painkiller so thankfully he was not suffering by that point. He was real tired you could tell, and kinda out of it, but he able to give me some last kisses and rested his head on my hand like always. Then the shot came and it got heavier - man what a feeling :(

Thanks for the compliments, he really was a great looking Dobey with an attitude that surpassed the looks. :cheers:

we kinda were in the same boat. we had gin gin since he was 4 months. he was 17 years old if you can believe that. when he was like 14 years old...we noticed he started getting sick....bad joints. bad breath. losing teeth. then came all the moaning and groaning. little by little we seen him go down hill. but we believe that he loved to live so much...he loved us so much that he would deal with the pain of his joints and a bad kidney (he was pissing all the time after he would drink and would barely eat. so we did not put him to sleep. alot of people said we were being selfish but we were not. gin gin lived every second to be licking us and biting us on our fingers. so finally one morning he did not wake up. and we were happy for him.....he finnaly took his trip to heaven...just like your dog.....they are both in a better place.....chasing each other and barking at each other. so try to think positive. ofcourse I know it's easy said but not done but we all need to hang in there....

We had to put our old Yorkie (and Shih Tzu, both 12 or 13 years old...i may have said earlier they were 10-12 but i'm thinking more clearly now) down last year and she went thru the same thing. Had a ruptured kidney, got fat, would cry out only sometimes in pain (had no idea it was anything, because she barely repeated doing it more than twice in a night) and waddled her tubby self around. She used to be a real spry Yorkie, as they all are, but ended up a big 15lb. example! That's about 3x the normal size, so you can imagine. But she was still so lovable and when she had the energy she would let out busts of speed and joyfulness which was realy great to see. So I feel ya, there.

17 is probably the oldest I've heard of, glad he was able to stay around for you guys! :nice:

My little Shih-Tzu, Tisha, died in my lap a few weeks ago. We took her to the vet three times the last week she was alive and no one could figure out or help her it didn't seem. After some research on the web I found something called syncope, a heart problem, and that fit her symptoms she was having.

She would fall over and just let out this horrible yell not yelp but yell and it would just tear my soul apart to hear it. The last I went to the vet I finally had enough and told them either they do something or we are going someplace else. They made us an appointment to the University of Tennessee Veterinary School of Medicine on a Tuesday. I have been told they can rival the best hospitals for people there for your animals and pets.

She died at home but I didn't want to give up on her so we rushed her to the emergency clinic. They got her heart started again but the Vet said that if she lives she would have an incredibly hard life ahead of her. So I made the decision to let her go. I am not ashamed to say I cried like I lost a member of my family because as far as I am concerned I did.

She was 13 years old and had her since she was 4 weeks old. She was so small when we first got her she crawled into a McDonalds medium drink cup and went to sleep. It is amazing how pets can creep their way into your heart that you can't imagine life before them or after them.

My vet gave me a poem called Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Sorry to hear about your dog. I lost my Husky mix a month ago. It was/is tough, but she lived a long time (10 years) and had a pretty good life. Don't think of "replacing" your dog because they can't be replaced. Each dog (or pet) is different. I'm sure you know that.

Death is the worst part of life :mad: and causes us a gut-check. My dog died a week after my grandfather passed (99 years old). Death pisses me off. You feel like you've been robbed when you lose a pet, or someone close to you.

Try to focus on the good times you had and be happy for those:) . Your dog is definitely in a better place.

Life sucks sometimes but we have to concentrate on the things that make life worth living!

mike50sa said:

Death is the worst part of life :mad: and causes us a gut-check. My dog died a week after my grandfather passed (99 years old). Death pisses me off. You feel like you've been robbed when you lose a pet, or someone close to you.

yeah, but at the same time we all need to understang that we are only here for a limited amount of time. this body we have is a rental. and we are being judged on what our soul does. so in other words life is a test and we will all have a judgment date to determine where we are going in the afterlife.....sorry dont mean to get deep but maybe my thoughts will help someone.

Yea, I'm definitely thinking of the good times and am over the worst part of it (shock). I got up this morning and usually he's at the foot of my bed waiting for that, so he can get up and stretch with me too. Every day, I get up, stand in the middle of the room, stretch, and look over at him doing the same. I looked, but he wasn't there this morning :(

I also have no problem admitting I cried my ass off. I wonder about those who don't.

It sucks to see how many of us can relate, it really is.