Here are my mods for this spring

01mgvert

Jan 12, 2004
Last summer I bought my first Mustang, a Mineral Grey 2001 GT Convertible. I drove it for about four months before storing it for the winter. I plan to spend around $3000 in performance parts this spring. My goal is to have a naturally aspirated daily drive that I might occasionally bring to the track. After reading numerous discussion forums and product reviews, I have decided on the list of parts below. I’ve tried to base horsepower estimates on the experience of others rather than the claims of manufacturers or sellers. What do you think? Are these realistic estimates? Have I missed anything? What kind of quarter-mile times can I expect?

Diablo Predator Performance Tuner--15 rwhp ($420)

Steeda Underdrive Pulley--5 rwhp ($155)

BBK Long Tube Ceramic Headers--15 rwhp ($500)

MAC 2.5" Shorty Prochamber Mid-pipe--5 rwhp ($210)

Magnaflow 2.5" Stainless Steel Cat-back--10 rwhp ($345)

WMS Intake System (CAI, Pro-M 95mm MAF)--10 rwhp ($450)

Accufab 75 mm Throttle Body--5 rwhp ($215)

Dragon 75 mm Intake Plenum--5 rwhp ($200)

FRPP 4.10 Gears ($138)

Nitto Drag Radials ($260)

Results: 70 rwhp ($2893)

• Sponsors (?)

01mgvert said:
Last summer I bought my first Mustang, a Mineral Grey 2001 GT Convertible. I drove it for about four months before storing it for the winter. I plan to spend around $3000 in performance parts this spring. My goal is to have a naturally aspirated daily drive that I might occasionally bring to the track. After reading numerous discussion forums and product reviews, I have decided on the list of parts below. I’ve tried to base horsepower estimates on the experience of others rather than the claims of manufacturers or sellers. What do you think? Are these realistic estimates? Have I missed anything? What kind of quarter-mile times can I expect?

Diablo Predator Performance Tuner--15 rwhp ($420)

Steeda Underdrive Pulley--5 rwhp ($155)

BBK Long Tube Ceramic Headers--15 rwhp ($500)

MAC 2.5" Shorty Prochamber Mid-pipe--5 rwhp ($210)

Magnaflow 2.5" Stainless Steel Cat-back--10 rwhp ($345)

WMS Intake System (CAI, Pro-M 95mm MAF)--10 rwhp ($450)

Accufab 75 mm Throttle Body--5 rwhp ($215)

Dragon 75 mm Intake Plenum--5 rwhp ($200)

FRPP 4.10 Gears ($138)

Nitto Drag Radials ($260)

Results: 70 rwhp ($2893)
Well, it's good that your'e planning but you won't see a 70 rwhp gain from those modifications alone. Maybe 40 or so would be more realistic. Good luck.

Definately be in the 13s with the DRs and 4.10s, even with the heavy vert, if your car is a 5spd.

Your HP estimate seems high as you would be hovering around the 300 rwhp mark and I don't think it'll be quite there. More like 40-50 rwhp.

Good luck! :nice:

Just some feedback, if your car is a daily driver that will rarely see track use I recommend some comforts like a shifter and some suspension work such as springs, shocks, struts. Also highly recommend subframe connectors, especially on a vert.

Thanks for the feedback. My wife bought me a G-Tech for Christmas so I hope to chart my performance gains from these modifications. I will keep you updated. Btw, I have an automatic (I hope that the predator will firm up the shift points).

01mgvert said:
Thanks for the feedback. My wife bought me a G-Tech for Christmas so I hope to chart my performance gains from these modifications. I will keep you updated. Btw, I have an automatic (I hope that the predator will firm up the shift points).

40 is more "realistic."

BTW, BBK's won't fit an automatic. Hookers or MAC's or Kooks ($$$$) are your only options.

Thanks for the heads up on the headers. What would you recommend, Hookers or MAC?

I was hoping that my estimate of 70 rwhp was accurate. If I were to add up the horsepower gains promised by manufacturers and sellers, the estimate would be closer to 130 rwhp. What happened to truth in advertising? Doesn't this apply to performance parts?

Can anyone identify specific parts that I've overestimated?

Thanks for all the help

01mgvert said:
Can anyone identify specific parts that I've overestimated?

Thanks for all the help
From what I've read here on Stangnet, I don't think the cat-back is going to get you much hp. I could be wrong though. :shrug:

I have an auto and with my mods and performance tune, I only have 228rwhp. I was thinking it should be closer to 245, so I was very disappointed. Once I drove it with the 4.10's though, I felt much better. :D