Here we go again---GTO vs. GT

Tommy3O3

Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Saudi Aurora, Colorado
Please, no flames or fighting...

Okay, let's play a game. You have $30k burning a hole into your pocket and you've narrowed your new car choices down to 2 cars; a 2005 GTO or a 2005 Mustang GT. You've priced the GTO, it's a bit less than $34k. The GT is $28k. The GTO is currently listed for $30,XXX due to GM's marketting scheme, the GT is almost impossible to find; but you've found one for $27,7XX.

Now, in YOUR opinion, which car would you purchase? Feel free to list some PRO's and CON's of each; but let's refrain from personal attacks such as the classic, "That car's butt ugly!!" thing. I'm posting this on both Stangnet AND LS1.com for comparisons from both sides.

We all know that the GTO has 400 horsepower, the GT 300. We all know that the GTO has a 6-speed, the GT a 5-speed. From the magazines the GT, (with a live axle) out handles a GTO, (with an IRS). The GT also out-brakes the GTO. Gas mileage is the same for both cars. Mods: There are a bunch of blowers for both cars, and you also have the option for doing the head 'n cam package on the GTO. Current owners please chime in here as far as power figures, etc.

Soooo, which car would you choose if you were facing my decision, (as I'm sure a few others here have)??

Bear in mind that I already have a 600 horsepower Mustang, so brand loyalty really isn't a factor for me.

Please keep this civil---if possible. Thanx for taking the time to post any responses!!

If you'd like to read what the GTO side's saying, click here: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5779478#post5779478

• Sponsors (?)

Well i would like to see where you can get a GT for $27,000.I just did a preapproval with ford online.They are giving me $53,350.00 towards any ford car that i want lol....Why would anyone need that much for a car?
Most Gts i see are at $29,000 and the GTO you can get for Under $30,000 with a bit of shopping.
I am taking someone with me on sunday and see what they think of the GTO before i decide on what car i will get.
GTO is growing on me but hate paying sticker on the stang....Johnny

I have to keep in mind that I have two small kids that ride along with me on a regular basis. The 109 inch wheelbase of my GTO gives a lot of room in the back. I have had a 6 ft buddy in the back and his knees still did not touch the rear of my seat. I like the GT but the rear seats are SMALL and if I had no kids or they were grown and had there own transportation I would spend the extra $$$ and get the GT500. As of now, I will stick with the GTO. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Apparently I don't have permission to view the ls1.com thread. :( They must have known what's in my garage. :D

Since this is an "in YOUR opinion" thread, I have to use the reasons that I chose to go with the Mustang.

• First and foremost, I'm an unapologetic Mustang nut.
• With that in mind, the 05 looks so damn good next to my fastback, I had to get it.
• The styling is just hands-down better IMO. (though the GTO is growing on me)
• The goat strikes me as a great motor with a nice interior, but lacks in other areas.
• I don't value rear seat room at all.
• The Mustang is a total package, and should I decide it needs to be faster, I can make it as fast as I'd ever need/want on the street.
• Both heritage cars, and the GTO ignores much of it's past. This is exemplified by it's Aussie roots, and the styling that does little to nothing to reference it's predecessors.

johnnytuinals said:
Well i would like to see where you can get a GT for $27,000.

The deals can be made. I've had my 05 for 2 weeks and I got it (ordered it in March) for under $28K and it's loaded with everything but the Shaker 1000 or the automatic tranny.

Thanx for your replies!! I'm 6'4" tall, so the GTO is nicer in that regard---I've got kids too. As far as getting the GT for $27,7XX, I just inquired on Ford's website. I can't remember the dealer's name now, but it was just under $28k. Another bonus for me with the GTO is that I have another $500 coupon for any GM car, so the GTO is actually around $29.5k.

Let the debate rage on, thank you 2 for your replies. :)

WTF am i in GTONET or LS1NET, I thought i typed stangnet, i would take the mustang even if it cost more infact i am actually paying more around 3k more, I like the GTO my friend has one actully its called a "lumina ss" were i come from. anyways thats not the point i would take the mustang without any doubts so what if the GTO is faster its not just about speed, its a personal opinion so some people might go for the GTO but I will go for the MUSTANG GT, not that the GTO is ugly but i just love mustangs, but some people think its all about power what would u rather have a riced up civic producing 600hp (if thats ever posible :rlaugh:) or a v6 mustang 2005. Id take the mustang even if its slower,

im not trying to make fun of GTOs my examlpe of the civic is just an example i respect the GTO but id still take a mustang

I would buy the GTO over the Mustang.......The GTO is on a limited production has MUCH more power and potential for power IMO. In time (soon you won't be able to drive a block without seeing a S197

The GTO is a steal @ 30k and the Mustang is a major rip at 28+K........
(I paid less than 28K for my 04 Cobra brand new), As far as I am concerned these two cars should not even be compared. A 8-10K price spread is in order between these cars. When the gap closes to 2K its insane. :shrug:

Well I have to wait till Saturday to pick up my GT Vert 5spd Shaker 1000. All I can say is this, the GT, is a bit slower in the 1/4 mile, it just makes up for it in everything else. The GTO looks like a beefed up family 2 door. It has +100HP on the GT, but it handles like a cement truck and is pretty heavy for a 2 door. With the GT, you can make up +30HP with a CAI and a tune.

Really, you wont notice a GTO sitting in a parking lot with a bunch of other cars, but you will notice the Mustang, even a V6. And honestly, no one in 20 years is going to want a 05 GTO.

THe last good GTO died with the Judge. Let it go ...

I wrestled with the same question as you...GTO or GT. I ended up getting a 05 GTO.

Pro's
--More Hp
--Better Interior (size and quality)
--Subdued Styling

Con's
--Subdued styling (yes I think it's both good and bad)
--Sound system is pretty weak (the shaker kicks its butt)
--NO trunk space

Luckily my wife wants a GT so this fall we'll be trading her Envoy for a vert GT. I'm not just a GTO fan trolling around the Ford board. I'm looking for info about our next car now.

romans8:28 said:
I would buy the GTO over the Mustang.......The GTO is on a limited production has MUCH more power and potential for power IMO.

Hah! The GTO is limited production because it's got limited sales, not because it's an exclusive, upper-end vehicle. It's selling like a turd, and GM tries not to build any more turds than they can sell. GM could certainly build more of them if the demand was there - but it's not.

Tommy3O3 said:
Please, no flames or fighting...

Okay, let's play a game. You have $30k burning a hole into your pocket and you've narrowed your new car choices down to 2 cars; a 2005 GTO or a 2005 Mustang GT. You've priced the GTO, it's a bit less than $34k. The GT is $28k. The GTO is currently listed for $30,XXX due to GM's marketting scheme, the GT is almost impossible to find; but you've found one for $27,7XX.

Now, in YOUR opinion, which car would you purchase? Feel free to list some PRO's and CON's of each; but let's refrain from personal attacks such as the classic, "That car's butt ugly!!" thing. I'm posting this on both Stangnet AND LS1.com for comparisons from both sides.

We all know that the GTO has 400 horsepower, the GT 300. We all know that the GTO has a 6-speed, the GT a 5-speed. From the magazines the GT, (with a live axle) out handles a GTO, (with an IRS). The GT also out-brakes the GTO. Gas mileage is the same for both cars. Mods: There are a bunch of blowers for both cars, and you also have the option for doing the head 'n cam package on the GTO. Current owners please chime in here as far as power figures, etc.

Soooo, which car would you choose if you were facing my decision, (as I'm sure a few others here have)??

Bear in mind that I already have a 600 horsepower Mustang, so brand loyalty really isn't a factor for me.

Please keep this civil---if possible. Thanx for taking the time to post any responses!!

If you'd like to read what the GTO side's saying, click here: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5779478#post5779478
Have to say, it really depends on what your after.

If I wanted a usable stealthy car good looking car then the GTO would be it.

It goes well and handles great, some will claim its a little crude by modern standards, but I think it offers a more tactile feel than most modern alternatives. This is by comparing it to many European and British alternatives.

Personally, practicality has no meaning to me what so ever, and I certainly don't intend to conform and blend in, I want something to stand out. Which is where the Mustang certainly has the edge. Although in the US I bet it is a bit more common than in the UK, it is still one of the best looking cars (regardless of price) luanched in the last 10 years or so.

The choice is yours, but unless it really has to be NEW maybe look and consider some 1-3 year old cars too. Such as supercharged Cobra's or C5 Vettes.

Although to be honest, if I had the cash in my pocket and I happened to stumble across a Dodge Viper GTS I would hand the money over so fast I'd likely pull a muscle. (There arn't many in the UK but a 97/98 model can be had for similar'ish money as a new Monaro (GTO) or a little more than fully loaded GT).

jfischer said:
Hah! The GTO is limited production because it's got limited sales, not because it's an exclusive, upper-end vehicle. It's selling like a turd, and GM tries not to build any more turds than they can sell. GM could certainly build more of them if the demand was there - but it's not.

I don't disagree that the demand is not there.......... what I am saying is a discerning buyer can use that to his/her major advantage.

I would rather buy a new car for 5K under MSRP than 5K over........

SpazHairlip said:
Well I have to wait till Saturday to pick up my GT Vert 5spd Shaker 1000. All I can say is this, the GT, is a bit slower in the 1/4 mile, it just makes up for it in everything else. The GTO looks like a beefed up family 2 door. It has +100HP on the GT, but it handles like a cement truck and is pretty heavy for a 2 door. With the GT, you can make up +30HP with a CAI and a tune.

Really, you wont notice a GTO sitting in a parking lot with a bunch of other cars, but you will notice the Mustang, even a V6. And honestly, no one in 20 years is going to want a 05 GTO.

THe last good GTO died with the Judge. Let it go ...

Yeah what he said.

The GTOs are very limited and they are still on the docks waiting for delivery.When Sept rolls around you will be able to get a GTO for Under $29,000 with Rebates and low interest rates.
I called one dealer tonight and he told me that they have not had a GT on their lot for the last 4 Months.
Maybe Sticker will still be a good deal for now,and i know in 2 years you will be seeing many more Gts but if yea want to trade it in we will be lucky if we get $12,000 for it from the dealer.
But in 2 years from now you will still not see many GTOs on the road but i am sure you will get more as a trade in.
2004 GTOs really are very Ugly
2005 GTOs are not that bad looking

Thanx again for the good responses!! I went out and looked at an '05 GTO today, (picked up a brochure too). I'm partial to the Quicksilver M6. I also spoke with a Ford salesman that "might" be inclined to take $1000 off of MSRP on an '05 GT 'vert.

Talk about making the decision tough.

Keep 'em coming---and thanx for keeping this all civil. :)

Hummm all the dealers i see want $3000 over sticker on a Vert.And Sicker on Coups
I like the Black GTOs with red interior.
As i said there are still many on the Docks that might get to the dealers by sept and then you will see deals.
I don't know what way i will go but if i do get a deal from pontiac i will get a GTO and not worry about the discision i have made...It used to look like a GrandAm but not anymoreeeee.Johnny

I don't know where everyone is getting these prices for stock '05 GTs. I paid 26k for mine (deluxe) and I am happy with every single cent I paid. I looked at the GTO briefly but decided that it wasn't for me. As far as space goes, trunk space is actually excellent and the back seat is much bigger than I thought. Kids should easily fit back there, hell I fit my two brothers (5'9" 230lbs, 6'2" 250lbs) in the back quite comfortably. The Mustang fits me much better and I really don't care if the GTO has slightly faster 1/4 mile times, there are always faster cars out there so who cares. If I only cared about speed I would have picked up a 03/04 Cobra, but I think the 05s have the complete package so that is what I went with. GTOs are still nice cars though and have my complete respect.