I’ve Officially decided to call it quits

ALMOST STOCK

Founding Member
Sep 23, 2000
CA.
I’ve been on Stangnet for over 6 + years (plus over a year of just reading what ppl posted) before I ever joined.

So I think I’m about ready now to start my 1st official thread; that is unless you want to call posting in the feed back area staring a thread?

I’ve always been intrigued by the looks of the GT-40 tubular intake, and some yrs ago Marc (Stangnet member) posted a pics of GT-40 Tubular that he had polished and since that time I’ve always wanted to try to see if I could duplicate what I saw.
So thanks Marc for the inspiration!

I got this in Nov.
View attachment 406062

And it turned out looking like this after spending about 26 hrs (spread over a 3 month period) of sanding and polishing the upper and lower.

Front
Front.jpg

Back
Back.jpg

Top.jpg

Botom

Bottom.jpg

Oh and btw... I’ve officially decided to call it quits when it comes to sanding and polishing any more aluminum.:D
From now on it’s either chromed or powder coated and I leaning more toward powder coating.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 81
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Sponsors (?)

I had to check out the Mustangs Unlimited cover to see what you did. Wow! That is seriously amazing. I actually think it came out better than if you had used an original. I assume it would be harder to polish around the pony and letters.

Those original covers are going for crazy money now.

That looks great...

I learned awhile back that although the polishing looks awesome, the upkeep is far to intensive to keep it looking fresh. I've moved on to powder coating as well :nice:

wow, amazing job as always....any tips on polishing or procedures something like that?

Check out his site..... you can click on his car in the signature or....

http://www.leemotorsports.com/almoststock/

then click on "polishing tips"

Nice job AlmostStock!!!!!

The red really did set it off!!!
So does this mean you've passed the torch to a new apprentice....or should I just go to powder coating right away???? :)

Great work....now put it all back to gether and get those pics!!!!:hail2: :hail2: :hail2:

I'll be his apprentice, that looks so ****in sick!!!!!!!!!! I wish now that I would have just polished my explorer, but the upkeep on that lower is gonna be a bitch, but way to go!!!

I’d like to say thanks to everyone for all the great complements. Thank you

5.0 Nostalgia
I’m guessing sanding around the pony and letter probably would have added a couple of more hrs to the time frame and I not quite show clean it would have come out.
I tried for over 2 months to buy the Original cover, and none were to be found or had so I decided to go the route I took and make my own.

85_SS_302_Coupe
As soon as I get things put back together and cleaned up I’ll take that high res pic for you so you can replace that old wallpaper.

Rick 91GT
I just had this vision in my head of things being powder coated instead of being polished while I was sanding is the reason I’m thinking about powder coating things.

1Bad89Coupe
You can go to my site and then polishing tips as Whytry91 suggested, but sometimes the site doesn’t let you view everything. If my site doesn’t work you can go here http://darkside351.tripod.com/mustang50world/id19.html it’s basically the same but something I wrote 7 yrs earlier. If you’re really interested in polishing PM or email me and I’ll be glad tell you exactly how I did the GT-40 and a few short cuts I’ve learned over the years.

mansonozz
Dave- actually for a while I thought about seriously about going with Black in the recessed areas instead of the Red, but my2 boys and Whytry91 convinced me to stay with the Red. Now I’m glad I did.

Whytry91
Jim- the torch is all yours.
Remember what I told you before though…
Turn on the radio, think about anything else other then sanding, and you know your almost done when you start to see little droplets of blood start to come out of your finger tips. :D
And then when you start polishing things plan on the wife not letting you in the house because she won't recognize you when you're cover in black .:)