I couldn't take the drone....maybe I'm old...

• Sponsors (?)

tame sound with a rumble.

nicely put

My 65FB has Ch ~Ch ~Ch~Cherry Bombs and the stuffing blew out yrs ago on the race track, They Is so loud! the neighbor claims its louder than the next neighbors Harley.
Sets off car alarms, can't have a conversation inside, can't go hear in drive thru, and scares women and children. I have even got ticket for noise pollution (been long time). I'm now over my boy racer syndrome.
I bought some turbos for her a while back but need to get em installed but might put em on the Mutt2 cause it needs some love too.
IMG_20150311_100325360.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I have some super old flowmaster 44 with flowmaster high flow cats and an X pipe. all behind the 1-7/8 longtubes on the 393... it is fairly quite actually. thats what i want though.. tame sound with a rumble.
Agree. Your car sounds pretty good in the videos I've seen. Flowmasters have a great sound, people just need to get the larger versions and keep the cats intact.

Reactions: 1 user
All in all, it's all a matter of opinion anyway. What sounds good to one person sounds like ass to another, same as most anything else.

That G8 wouldn't sound all that bad if it were at a drag strip or something as it sounds like it has no exhaust at all. But it's in someone's driveway in a residential neighborhood, it sounds like an old dump truck that the muffler rusted off and they're waiting on a load. I can't fathom why people think that street cars and trucks sound "good" with absolutely no exhaust to speak of.

Same with Harleys if we wanna go down that road. The whole "loud pipes saves lives" thing that gets spouted a lot is basically just them trying to justify having something loud and obnoxious. I used to hate hearing them all the time when I lived in the middle of Amish country Iowa, and now that I'm in Atlanta and don't hear them that much I don't miss them. Same goes for all of the small town country boys who straight pipe their trucks.

And while we're at it, I'm also not a fan of the new 5.0 whose owners think that they need to go all country and basically remove any kind of sound deadening device on them as well. Some sound isn't bad, but there is a point. Like I said, my Cobra is too loud in my opinion, luckily I don't drive that too often. But one of my goals is to figure a way to keep the sound and lose the volume.
As for the 'loud pipes saves lives' thing, that is a joke, my bike is as loud as it gets but the obnoxious sound is mostly behind you, but I ain't changing it. It's a harley thing.

I recently put some flowmaster 40 series on my coupe. They were free, so I figured why not? Well, they sounded good at idle, but after that it just wasn't me. The looks from people as I cruised through a parking lot, the unbearable drone on the freeway, and not being able to hear the stereo just wasn't cutting it. I just replaced them with Dynomax Super Turbo's. The sound difference is unbelievable. It is just the right sound for me.
Chris
Which model super turbo's did you buy? 2.5 or 2.25? Have the hanger bracket on them?
I'm thinking I need the 17734, which is a 14in length and 2.5 in/out, But doesn't look like it has the hanger bracket on it, i'll have to weld it on (might be the only thing i'm qualified to weld).

As far as you other guys, tone is subjective, but loud is just loud.

As for the 'loud pipes saves lives' thing, that is a joke, my bike is as loud as it gets but the obnoxious sound is mostly behind you, but I ain't changing it. It's a harley thing.

You're right, it's behind you, but everybody and their dead cousin can hear it from 5 miles away. And I still think the statement is a cop out, it's like it's supposed to give a free pass or something. Has anyone figured out any kind of exhaust technology for Harleys to both sound good AND not wake the dead - something like a turbo muffler or Flowmaster for a motorcycle? Maybe the fart cans that people put on 4 bangers would sound decent on a bike? Gawd knows they sound like crap on an import - excuse me, a sport compact!! Speaking of..... Mike, you're not going to put one of those Briggs mufflers on your monster are you? :jester:

Which model super turbo's did you buy? 2.5 or 2.25? Have the hanger bracket on them?
I'm thinking I need the 17734, which is a 14in length and 2.5 in/out, But doesn't look like it has the hanger bracket on it, i'll have to weld it on (might be the only thing i'm qualified to weld).

As far as you other guys, tone is subjective, but loud is just loud.
The 17734 is indeed a universal fit muffler that doesn’t come with a hanger. I had a set that I ended up never using and sold off a while back.

You're right, it's behind you, but everybody and their dead cousin can hear it from 5 miles away. And I still think the statement is a cop out, it's like it's supposed to give a free pass or something. Has anyone figured out any kind of exhaust technology for Harleys to both sound good AND not wake the dead - something like a turbo muffler or Flowmaster for a motorcycle? Maybe the fart cans that people put on 4 bangers would sound decent on a bike? Gawd knows they sound like crap on an import - excuse me, a sport compact!! Speaking of..... Mike, you're not going to put one of those Briggs mufflers on your monster are you? :jester:
I agree with you, and yes they make a muffler for it, it don't look right on my bike.

The 17734 is indeed a universal fit muffler that doesn’t come with a hanger. I had a set that I ended up never using and sold off a while back.
Thanks, yeah I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get the bracket on those, but I was hoping he purchased a 2.5 set that did.
After a call to dynomax, they do not make the 2.5 super turbo with the bracket anymore.
Not the end of the world.

American Thunder muffs have a duel chamber . Is that different , or more quiet than might be considered regular. Because like a91 said mine are loud , but do sound good. Nothing out of the ordinary , and guys roll their windows down saying they like my sound at the stoplight. I think nothing sounds as good as a 302.

ToyC5HWxp4ELRy5h-6sPC37F2N-2rcUbwReJthZK6py46Pje5b.jpg

maybe this is more mikes style
Nope,...I have (two) straight through 3” SS dynomax muffies on the Monster. When it was turbocharged Monster v1 before I converted it to N/A, it had just one 5” diameter “fart pipe“ looking thing at the rear of the car.
but it was far from farty sounding. ( Turbo quieted it down dramatically). When I had my lobotomy, and removed and sold off the turbo, that single muffler went from good to bad sounding as soon as I stepped on the throttle. I immediately added an oval version of that same muffler. Things got back to normal. When I re-installed the turbo, I didn’t remove the second muffler and it got even quieter. With this new engine I may go back to just one.
One things for certain,..you won’t hear me from 2 blocks away.

Reactions: 2 users
I loved my Spintech 9000s when I first put them on, but they are wearing on me. I am researching my next muffler and realizing it may come down to trial and error. Luckily there are 5 foxes in the family so my Spintechs could move on to better use. We will see, I just installed a Pro-M EFI system and the sound has changed a good bit so I have to see how that goes. The car only sees maybe 750 miles a year so it isn't like I am driving it very much.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAsy9PQdg00

I’ve had a MAC ProChamber and MAC cat back on mine since the 90’s. Loved it back then and still love it today. Classic Fox Body sound that made me fall in love with them back in high school. Now I’m almost 50. Man, time flies.

I recently put some flowmaster 40 series on my coupe. They were free, so I figured why not? Well, they sounded good at idle, but after that it just wasn't me. The looks from people as I cruised through a parking lot, the unbearable drone on the freeway, and not being able to hear the stereo just wasn't cutting it. I just replaced them with Dynomax Super Turbo's. The sound difference is unbelievable. It is just the right sound for me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnw0PdwPCyI

Chris

I had the same issue, I loved the sound of the Flowmasters but at 70 years old people started to look at me funny. and I was getting a lot of head aches. I also switched to turbos but I welded in a pair of remote operated cutouts. Now I love the slight rumble and at a push of the button I can let the world know I am coming . I did the install myself and replaced the entire exhaust system with welds. A lot of work so I would recommend a muffler shop do it, And definitely do not go cheap on the cut outs. Buy a good quality set. It is the best upgrade I have done on the Mustang

Wow! I'm the odd man here.I went from flows to slp loudmouths and I absolutely love the sound.I daily my stang and get plenty of thumbs up.Guess I'm not as old as I feel.

Attachments

• IMG_20191010_160850.jpg
    IMG_20191010_160850.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 85
  • Winner
Old age too, ran cut outs in the day. Can't take drone anymore, these are plenty loud enough.I like a mufffler you can see through, reminds of the old Cherry Bombs but they don't burn out as quickly. That's the old stock muffler, what a difference. Couldn't beat the price too.
IMG_1930 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1854 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1915 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1930 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1854 - Copy.JPG