I need Advise on Crate Engines

Benoit23

Sep 13, 2007
Denton, Texas
I’m looking into buying a crate engine for my 1973 Mustang.
Do you guys know of any good sources to get good prices?

As you will see below I want a motor with a little more power than factory but, I still want it streetable.

The best prices I’ve found was at Doug Herbert High Performance Parts

Have any of you bought one of these motors or know if they are good?

Here are the 2 Engines I’m interested in buying for my Mustang.
(Copy/Paste from dougherbert.com)

408 Ford Windsor Stroker Engine 450+ HP
$4,799.99

Put this Doug Herbert Ford 408 Stroker engine in your early model
Mustang and prepare to leave those Chevy drivers wondering why their hot rods are so slow. This engine produces over 450 Horse-Power and is assembled using the highest quality components for the best possible price.

The engine includes:
• Compression Ratio-10.5-1
• Edlebrock Heads
• Herbert cam of your choice- hydraulic or solid
• Eagle I-Beam Rods
• SRP Pistons by JE
• ARP Bolts
• Plasma Moly RIngs
• Crane Aluminum Rockers

All Herbert engines are balanced, blueprinted and come with:
• Melling High Volume Oil Pump
• Cloyes True Roller Timing Chain
• Clevite Bearings
• Pro Tech Oil Pan
• Professional Products Harmonic Balancer
• Flexplate (call for pricing on flywheel)

521 Ford Big Block 600+HP
$5,995.99

This 521 Ford is an absolute torque monster! This complete engine is perfect for your street, strip or off-road project, and you won't find it at any better price.

This new engine includes:
• SRP Pistons
• Edelbrock Heads
• Clevite Bearings
• Melling Oil Pump
• Crane Roller Rockers
• Fel Pro Gasket Set
• True Roller Timing Chain
• H-Beam Rods
• Steel Crank
• HERCH4B Camshaft
• ARP Bolts
• Professional Products Balancer
• Pro Tech Oil Pan
• Brass Freeze Plugs

Thanks,
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Kinda depends what you want to do with it. The windsor will make a great street/strip engine without weighing down the front end nearly as much as the big block so that handling will still be good, while the big block will give you the WOW factor. That level of power and weight from the big block will require a good stiff chassis, and the trans better be pretty tough too, not to mention a big radiator to keep it cool, just to name a couple things to start with. Unless you are really trying to go fast and/or really want some wow factor at a show, stick with the 408. You can get an AOD that will hold up without costing an arm and leg, or a t5z would work too, you wont have an extra ~200 lbs up front, wont have to beef up a 9" to handle it- stock will be fine, etc., plus the extra $1200 saved will be nice.

460-based would be OK in a '73

Arbitrary rule of thumb: 64-66, use a 289/302, '67-70, use a 351w or c, 71-73, use a 428/429 or 460 based motor. I think your car is heavy enough that a 460-based motor won't be too out of whack in there, weight distribution wise. You'll have more than a little faster than factory, you'll have a rumbling beast that may need some wide rubber to get around corners smoothly. I think the 351w would be less streetable than a 460 with a milder cam. Depending on how much you drive, the 460 might require a 2nd mortgage to pay for gas. :D

Hey Benoit,
Did you go with that particular place that you mentioned in your post about 3 months back. I'm in the same dilemma right now. I want to replace my Advance auto engine that I installed about six years ago in my car. It's a bit overwhelming trying to find a good reliable and honest builder....Can you tell me if you went with Doug's and if you are happy with it.
Thanks

I'm running a Motorsports 5.0 345 HP motor. Bolted my stuff on and it worked.

Stick with a known major brand, keep it simple and conservative, you'll thank yourself for the headaches you avoided.

Most of all, do your homework & research!

Don't think anyone has had a bad experience with DSS or Coast High Performance.

Again, what are your plans for the car?

A mild big block can be a great engine for a cruiser, something that won't need to rev high to make power, will sound badass and impress your friends. Of course, you can always go get a 600 hp one too...

I prefer small blocks, better economy, easier to get at plugs etc, more parts, cheaper parts, lighter, etc.. but then again i've never owned a big block (driven them though).

Hey Benoit,
Did you go with that particular place that you mentioned in your post about 3 months back. I'm in the same dilemma right now. I want to replace my Advance auto engine that I installed about six years ago in my car. It's a bit overwhelming trying to find a good reliable and honest builder....Can you tell me if you went with Doug's and if you are happy with it.
Thanks

Sorry, I have not bought a motor yet. Hopefully soon I can take the plung.

I did talk to a guy that had one of Doug's chevy motors & he said it was a little too radical for a daily driver. Not sure of the combo he had but, food for thought. He was doing everything he could think of to tame the motor down so it would be a little more drivable.