I think I found the best brackets for a 351 Swap

95Vert383AOD

15 Year Member
Jun 10, 2008
New Bedford, MA
Well im using the brackets from a 1990 lincoln mark 7. They work OK

BUT....

As i was cleaning out my garage i came across the Aluminum brackets that came with my 1997 351 engine. Heres the benefits..

Factory 94/95 A/C bolts right up

Probably easier to find than the 94/95 brackets because theres prob. not the same demand.

Not all that heavy.

And the biggest one....since im a stereo guy.....It takes the Alternator that you can have built to over 200+ AMPs like the Ambulance alternators.

Anyone try this???:shrug:

Some of the aftermarket Alternators make 150 AMPs @ 800 RPM.
They also aren't that big and only bolt to the head. But i don't think they are pushed back like the 94/95 brackets.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

They're set too wide. Spark plugs and everything else are easier to work on. They're only a 2 year thing. I like being able to use the water pump and timing cover thats been used for decades. Don't like the idea of my A/C Compressor being below my power steering pump. Tensioner on the pre 94 302's are easier to pop off.

I had the option of going both ways.

Same reasons are why i converted the intake to the older FOX style. Theres more support for fox stuff. Also if i ever do go Twin Turbo ....ill now have more space on the sides of my motor.

94/95 brackets are set way too wide for no reason.

Hmmm thats interesting, i've never heard of these issues. How big of a difference are we talking? I cant imagine that much.

Why does it matter where the a/c is?

And the intakes are really the same, its the elbow that changes things up. But i get what you're saying, thanks for teaching me something new!

The brackets don't interfere with the hood like whatever intake you'll put on there will.

The A/C placement is preferance. I don't like things that contain oils/ Fluids sitting right over a Compressor with an electric clutch. Same goes for cars with alternators mounted at the bottom of the motor.

Heres Pics of Fox brackets on my 351 block (wider)...Now pay attention to the clearance on the side of the motor. And ill toss a Stock motor pic in for fun.

The factory arrangement just leaves things a bit too cluttered for my taste.

PICT0670.jpg

PICT0671.jpg

PICT0030.jpg

The brackets on the SN are set wide in order to clear the hood, kind of. A 95/95 engine is approximately 3" shorter than previous 5.0 Mustang engines. In order to get the engine 3" shorter, they had to tuck the AC compressor under the engine slightly, which is why it was moved to the bottom.

Kurt

Actually 1st thing i noticed when swapping to FOX brackets is that It really didn't clear the electric fan. With that said....Look at how high the 94/95 bracket sits Almost on top of the valve cover.

Like i said...when i did my measurements when buying a hood FOX brackets cleared my stock hood....EVEN on a 351.

The issue is that ford shortened the engine compartment. YES the Radiator support is closer to the firewall in a 94/95 Than it it the FOX. If you look the Alternator actually sits higher than the oil fill cap on the stock motor. My FOX brackets almost sit the alternator lower than my breather. Thats why they also changed the water pump to be shorter.

The compartment is so much shorter that i couldn't put a Fan and clutch on if i wanted to. I had to clearance the Radiator so its 1/2 way under the support just so i could get a Mark viii electric fan on there.

Also they made the intake lower.... but we all know it didn't really need it....it was a crummy sacrifice so they could put a strut tower brace directly over it. Theres plenty of folks running FOX style intakes under stock hoods.

The issue isn't Verticle, its more of a horizontal one.

My Goal now is to get as many creature comforts back into the car Like AC while utilizing stock proven to work brackets like the 351.

Either way ill keep you guys posted on how it goes.